advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Progessives and moderates - can Joe get them to get along with each other?
Posted by: Ted King
Date: October 21, 2020 04:16PM
If Biden wins the presidency, I think Biden - and all Democrats, really - are going to have the challenge of strong progressives and moderates finding a way to compromise with each other to maintain the coalition that gave them more power to effect things to be the way the want them to be. Biden's got his published platform of stances on issues, but for the most important changes to happen by making changes to laws, his platform, at best, becomes the starting grounds for negotiations among factions advocating for changes.

Any large identifiable group in Biden's coalition can choose to take their marbles and play somewhere else if they don't get enough of what they want - and the coalition is threatened with disintegration. I think in general strong progressives are tired of compromises with moderates. I hope Biden and other Democratic leaders - like Pelosi - can find compromises that most everyone is at least "okay" with.

I hope this is a problem we have coming in late January and on.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Progessives and moderates - can Joe get them to get along with each other?
Posted by: vision63
Date: October 21, 2020 04:32PM
Just defeat whatever opponent is standing in the way of your agenda. That's why we have elections. Anyone taking their marbles and playing somewhere else failed to succeed at that and are just quitters. The question should be "Why have I failed and how can I win?"
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: October 21, 2020 05:57PM
Biden has already moved further left than he's ever been in his career. He gets it. he's a pro at getting people to work together, and with a Dem House and Senate I think they'll get a lot of important things done.
Yes I hope this is a problem we get to have too.
Posted by: btfc
Date: October 21, 2020 05:59PM
Anyone who has been paying attention for the past four years will find a way.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: October 21, 2020 07:04PM
Progessives and moderates - can Joe get them to get along with each other?

The moment a Republican moves in that direction they'll find themselves fighting a two-front war, the second front being the attack from the Trump loyalists.

If it's a real honest to goodness 'blood bath' this cycle -- the viscous right might lose hold on that cudgel, otherwise we're headed to another four years of vitriol.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 193
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020