You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Re: Party on the debate thread
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: October 23, 2020 06:53AM
bfd
deckeda
Lemon Drop
Nice job Biden.

"Look at us closely. Character is on the ballot. I'm anxious to have this contest."

That was a great response.

No, the word he wanted is, "eager." As in, take a look at me, bring it.

"Anxious" means something quite different, despite it being misused frequently.

Well, he could well be quite anxious about the contest … and deservedly so. A little bit of Freud slipping through? He's engaged in an anxiety inducing contest, during an anxiety inducing time, and it'll be an anxiety inducing job if he should win the election. Today, though, the election still has a very uncertain outcome. Even more anxiety!

Anxiety about his own pre-existing conditions? Science can tell us exactly what's happening at the cellular level for both of the old men. Neither is "getting younger" by the minute, and neither is a "Spring Chicken".
Both of them should probably be anxious about this contest - as well as the final result.

Maybe he's eager for the challenge, too. Let's hope so!

[www.cnbc.com]

Here's the video. I think in context, "anxious" is the right word here. We're all anxious to get Trump out of there, I appreciate that Biden feels the same.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: October 23, 2020 09:33AM
PeterB
Lemon Drop
"I am the least racist person in this room."

Something only racists ever need to say.

Exactly. When you're talking about a guy who can't denounce white supremacists and says "very fine people on both sides", I think we know where the guy stands.

Especially when you're sitting across the stage from a Black woman, moderating the debate.

oh snap smiley

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: pdq
Date: October 23, 2020 09:56AM
One minor question that I had may be answered. At the end of the discussion about the immigrant children and their parents that can’t be located, Biden (I think) said something about and now you’ve got 525 kids that we can’t find the parents they were separated from, and I thought I heard Trump say, “good”.

Someone else noticed this, and reran the tape. Their more charitable interpretation is that Trump slurred “go ahead” to Welker (as in lets move on and get me out of this) as she moved to the next question.

But who knows. Maybe it was one of those dog whistles to his Deplorable base.
Date: October 23, 2020 10:18AM
It's not necessary to screen his every word to find the virulent racism. It's pretty much on display, so I don't think one 'gotcha' moment is going to tip the scales....

rj
AKA
Posted by: PeterB
Date: October 23, 2020 11:30AM
rjmacs
It's not necessary to screen his every word to find the virulent racism. It's pretty much on display, so I don't think one 'gotcha' moment is going to tip the scales....

Exactly. If it walks like a duck...

And yes, I noticed also that Dump was much less comfortable with Kristen Welker as a moderator... he did talk over her a number of times though, and that did NOT look good for him.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: $tevie
Date: October 23, 2020 01:15PM
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: October 23, 2020 01:25PM
pdq
One minor question that I had may be answered. At the end of the discussion about the immigrant children and their parents that can’t be located, Biden (I think) said something about and now you’ve got 525 kids that we can’t find the parents they were separated from, and I thought I heard Trump say, “good”.

Someone else noticed this, and reran the tape. Their more charitable interpretation is that Trump slurred “go ahead” to Welker (as in lets move on and get me out of this) as she moved to the next question.

Trump said, "Go ahead." I'm 100% sure.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: October 23, 2020 01:26PM
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: October 23, 2020 01:42PM
$tevie

that poor podium
Posted by: hal
Date: October 23, 2020 01:49PM
Dennis S
pdq

Trump said, "Go ahead." I'm 100% sure.

me too
Date: October 23, 2020 02:20PM
Lemon Drop
$tevie

that poor podium

Lecher vs. Lectern.

rj
AKA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2020 02:20PM by rjmacs.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 23, 2020 06:40PM
Faux News wins!

Viewership for 2nd Trump-Biden debate drops to 63 million

[www.startribune.com]

The final presidential debate between President Donald Trump and his Democratic opponent Joe Biden drew 10 million fewer viewers than their first meeting.

An estimated 63 million viewers tuned into the debate featuring Trump and Biden Thursday night, the Nielsen company said Friday. The debate was hosted at Belmont University in Nashville, Tennessee.

The numbers were tallied between 15 networks that aired the debate.

Fox News scored the most viewers compared to other networks with 14.7 million, according to Nielsen. The network topped ABC and NBC, which both pulled in more than 10 million viewers.

CNN attracted 7.2 million, MSNBC drew 6.7 million and CBS had 5.5 million.

Trump and Biden's first matchup last month was seen by 73.1 million people. The second debate was canceled after Trump's coronavirus infection and replaced by dueling town halls on ABC and NBC — the viewership for both the presidential candidates together was 27.6 million.

The Biden town hall reached 14.1 million people, while Trump had 13.5 million.

On Thursday, the candidates debated mostly over health care, energy policy and how Trump handled the coronavirus pandemic. Both candidates also had an exchange words over the business endeavors of Biden's son.

In 2016, the first debate between Trump and Hillary Clinton garnered 84 million viewers, which is the most-watched debate ever. But their final debate had slightly less than 71.6 million, which was a higher number than their second matchup.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 23, 2020 09:14PM
DT has now officially lost all 5 of his debates, though I think his last was his best 'performance' while also telling the most lies.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 176
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020