advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
What's going to happen on election day, from the experts...
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: October 23, 2020 06:44AM
[www.theroot.com]

In the form of a timeline.

Read it to the end. It's not all that long.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What's going to happen on election day, from the experts...
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 23, 2020 07:50AM
Posted by: pdq
Date: October 23, 2020 09:09AM
Fortunately, in at least some states, like MN, all the early voting is already being machine counted. The totals, however, are strictly secret, but will be released (IIRC) on election day after the polls close.

So, rather than showing Trump ahead on election night from in-person voting that day, followed by a slow release of counted early- or absentee-Biden votes, it’ll kinda be the reverse - a large Biden lead, possibly enough to call the state for him right then, while the outstate rural vote for Trump trickles in ineffectually. While MN is sort of an outlier in a number of ways, it should give some indication of how the pre-election polls did.

Looking forward to it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2020 09:16AM by pdq.
Posted by: rgG
Date: October 23, 2020 09:51AM
GA has started scanning in the absentee ballots already but they won’t tabulate them till Election Day. This should help speed up the results.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 23, 2020 10:27AM
Tabulating now is very interesting, and a little concerning, as any leaks regarding current results would cause a huge crisis.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: October 23, 2020 10:46AM
pdq
Fortunately, in at least some states, like MN, all the early voting is already being machine counted. The totals, however, are strictly secret, but will be released (IIRC) on election day after the polls close.

So, rather than showing Trump ahead on election night from in-person voting that day, followed by a slow release of counted early- or absentee-Biden votes, it’ll kinda be the reverse - a large Biden lead, possibly enough to call the state for him right then, while the outstate rural vote for Trump trickles in ineffectually. While MN is sort of an outlier in a number of ways, it should give some indication of how the pre-election polls did.

Looking forward to it.

Unfortunately, one of the states that doesn't allow mail-in ballots to be counted until election day is Pennsylvania. If enough votes are counted in Florida to determine whether Trump won there and he doesn't win, then the Pennsylvania vote probably won't matter - Trump will surely lose the election if he loses Florida. But if Trump wins Florida, then Pennsylvania probably becomes a linchpin in any hopes he has of winning the election. If Trump wins the in-person votes in Pennsylvania that are counted election day and then the mail-in ballots start getting tabulated more that show Biden gaining - all hell will break loose with lawyers and courts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2020 10:47AM by Ted King.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: October 23, 2020 10:50AM
I don't think the GOP is going to wait until election day to re-challenge the PA state supreme court ruling; I think as soon as Barrett is sworn in, they will resubmit the case for cert, get it, and try to stop counting of any votes received after Nov 3.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: p8712
Date: October 23, 2020 10:51AM
Flipping Texas blue would end it all on the 3rd. We ca only pray it happens. Long shot, but possible.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: October 23, 2020 11:36AM
rjmacs
I don't think the GOP is going to wait until election day to re-challenge the PA state supreme court ruling; I think as soon as Barrett is sworn in, they will resubmit the case for cert, get it, and try to stop counting of any votes received after Nov 3.

Oh yeah. That's almost surely what they will do, but I was talking about mail-in ballots that come in before election day. Those are held and only started counting on election day (in contrast to what pdq was saying about Minnesota counting early mail-in ballots before election day). Trump's lawyers will try to stop the counting of those as well - or at least try to string the counting out until it gets kicked to the state legislature (controlled by Republicans) to determine Pennsylvania's electoral votes.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 23, 2020 12:37PM
JUST GOT OUR ABSENTEE BALLOTS TODAY !!!!!
Weeks late. No WAY they will make it through the TrumpMail system in time. Gonna drop them off at the board of elections.
Posted by: Acer
Date: October 23, 2020 12:40PM
cbelt3
JUST GOT OUR ABSENTEE BALLOTS TODAY !!!!!
Weeks late. No WAY they will make it through the TrumpMail system in time. Gonna drop them off at the board of elections.

Smile for the cameras. Make sure it's the right board of elections. Pro-tip: The real Board of Elections sign is not done by hand with a Sharpie on the back of a Trump-Pence 2016 placard, hung over the men's toilet at Walmart.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2020 12:40PM by Acer.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: October 23, 2020 01:28PM
I'll be interested to read their part 2 of the piece, but what I found interesting is that in their part 1, there was NO mention of interference by foreign actors. That's already happened, as you all know, and could add fuel to the fire on election day. For example, hackers could target the voting machines or the computers at the individual precincts. I agree with some here who advised me on doing a paper rather than electronic ballot, because at least with paper ballots, you have a paper trail.

I also think that, unless it's a landslide for Biden, it will likely end up going to the SC ... and then we all know what will happen there.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 23, 2020 02:40PM
Florida also now scans in advance but does not tabulate until 7pm on election day. Results released within an hour for most counties.

If Trump loses Florida, it is essentially over unless he flips some states that are polling very blue. He would have win Pennsylvania, Georgia, North Carolina, Arizona, AND either Michigan or Wisconsin - all of those are polling for Biden currently.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: p8712
Date: October 23, 2020 02:46PM
Ombligo
Florida also now scans in advance but does not tabulate until 7pm on election day. Results released within an hour for most counties.

If Trump loses Florida, it is essentially over unless he flips some states that are polling very blue. He would have win Pennsylvania, Georgia, North Carolina, Arizona, AND either Michigan or Wisconsin - all of those are polling for Biden currently.

My Florida county acknowledged receipt and scanning of my ballot. It’s nice to actually know that your vote was counted and there’s a paper trail.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: October 23, 2020 05:59PM
p8712
My Florida county acknowledged receipt and scanning of my ballot. It’s nice to actually know that your vote was counted and there’s a paper trail.

To paraphrase a late CCCP leader -- it's not who receives the ballot, it's who counts the ballots.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 23, 2020 11:12PM

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: October 24, 2020 12:00AM
Polling is all meaningless and they know it. No one has ever before polled anyone or any political race during a pandemic.

They can't admit that since they get paid to poll -- even if it means nothing.

JUST VOTE and trust the vote you cast will be honestly counted.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 252
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020