advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Orlando worker fired after speaking out about letter that warned employees of layoffs if Biden wins
Posted by: p8712
Date: October 23, 2020 05:40PM
He's gonna win that lawsuit

Daniels Manufacturing Corporation President George Daniels included a letter with recent paystubs reading, "If Trump and the Republicans win the election, DMC will hopefully be able to continue operating, more or less as it has been operating lately.”

The letter went on to say, "However, if Biden and the Democrats win, DMC could be forced to begin permanent layoffs beginning in late 2020 and/or early 2021."

After the letter went out, DMC employee Stan Smith spoke with WESH 2 News about it.

“Everybody has a choice to make their own decision," he said. "I don't feel like it was correct, to do something like that. That’s like me coming to work … and I should come in here and I should wear a Black Lives Matter shirt and bring out hats and pass them out to everyone. I felt like it was unfair."

This week, Smith was fired.

He believes Daniels, the president of the company that makes tools and electronics for the military, aerospace, and aircraft industries, ordered his termination because he didn't like what he told WESH 2 News.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Orlando worker fired after speaking out about letter that warned employees of layoffs if Biden wins
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 23, 2020 05:57PM
Florida is a right to work state, put another way that means a boss can fire anyone for any reason, and does not need to tell the employee why.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Re: Orlando worker fired after speaking out about letter that warned employees of layoffs if Biden wins
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: October 23, 2020 06:57PM
If the company has federal contracts, could be a 1st Am. Violation
Posted by: p8712
Date: October 23, 2020 08:24PM
Ombligo
Florida is a right to work state, put another way that means a boss can fire anyone for any reason, and does not need to tell the employee why.

Oh, I know. Were the nation’s wang for a reason.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: October 24, 2020 07:24AM
Well the aerospace industry is tanking right now, at least the commercial aviation part of it.

This boss knows Biden is going to win and he wants to blame the layoffs he knows are coming on Democrats, not on the pandemic his president mismanaged or possibly his own poor management of his company.

I doubt his workers are that dumb.
Posted by: pdq
Date: October 24, 2020 08:53AM
Ombligo
Florida is a right to work state = boss can fire anyone for any reason, and does not need to tell the employee why.

That, um, doesn’t sound like a “right to work” to me.

Moreso than the Left, I think, the Right has a way of naming their bills creatively (ie “Black is White” bill).
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 24, 2020 01:36PM
pdq
Ombligo
Florida is a right to work state = boss can fire anyone for any reason, and does not need to tell the employee why.

That, um, doesn’t sound like a “right to work” to me.

Moreso than the Left, I think, the Right has a way of naming their bills creatively (ie “Black is White” bill).

The law was created to stop closed shop unions. Everyone has a right to work at whatever place will hire them without having to join a union. Conversely, every workplace has the right to hire (fire) whoever they want for whatever reason they want.

took me a while to wrap my head the explanation.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 24, 2020 06:59PM
Right to work = right to go broke.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: October 24, 2020 07:26PM
Plus right to work without benefits Gig workers in California are front and center. California courts decided under Cal law they had to be treated as employees - entitled to unemployment, min wage etc.

Uber/Lyft put up a ballot proposition that, if passed, will blow a hole so wide in employment protections that many current employers will be free to redefine employees as independent contractors.

There's a lot more at stake than whether or not some ride share outfits decide to leave the state.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: October 24, 2020 07:54PM
Going off topic here, but if Uber/Lyft want something, you can be sure it will be bad for everyone else.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 234
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020