advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Political screed of the day with enough poker analogies...
Posted by: RgrF
Date: November 20, 2020 12:36PM
...to run the table.

I’m no political pundit but I grew up w a dad who was a federal prosecutor & he taught me a lot & I’ve also sat a fair amount of poker w serious players & l’ll say this: I do not think Trump is trying to ‘make his base happy’ or ‘laying the groundwork for his own network’ or that ‘chaos is what he loves’.

The core of it is that he knows he’s in deep, multi-dimensional legal jeopardy & this defines his every action. We’re seeing 1) a tactical delay of the transition to buy time for coverup & evidence suppression 2) above all, a desperate endgame which is to create enough chaos & anxiety about peaceful transfer of power, & fear of irreparable damage to the system, that he can cut a Nixon-style deal in exchange for finally conceding. But he doesn’t have the cards. His bluff after ‘the flop’ has been called in court.

His ‘turn card’ bluff will be an escalation & his ‘River card’ bluff could be really ugly. But they have to be called. We cannot let this mobster bully the USA into a deal to save his ass by threatening our democracy. THAT is his play. But he’s got junk in his hand. So call him.

I will allow that he’s also a whiny, sulky, petulant, Grinchy, vindictive little 10-ply-super-soft bitch who no doubt is just throwing a wicked pout fest & trying to give a tiny-hand middle finger to the whole country for pure spite, without a single thought for the dead & dying

But his contemptible, treasonous, seditious assault on the stability of our political compact isn’t about 2024, personal enrichment or anything else other than trying to use chaos & threat to the foundation of the system as leverage to trade for a safe exit. Call. His. Bluff.

Faith in the strength of our sacred institutions & founding principles is severely stretched...but they will hold. They will. He’s leaving, gracelessly & in infamy. But if we trade for it, give him some brokered settlement, we’ll be vulnerable to his return. We can’t flinch.

from Edward Norton
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Political screed of the day with enough poker analogies...
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: November 20, 2020 12:49PM
RgrF
His ‘turn card’ bluff will be an escalation & his ‘River card’ bluff could be really ugly.

I think it's an interesting perspective, but statements like this undermine the whole thing.

When you start talking in terms of vague threat and danger, you're playing the President's game. Say what you think might happen, and precisely how we should respond and why.

Things like this are framed as "here's my advice based on real, personal experience," but in truth they are ideological speeches meant to rally an unreflective base to respond.

What is Ed Norton putting on the line? What is he willing to risk? What has he already done to make a difference for Democrats? He wouldn't even endorse Barack Obama.

Feh.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2020 12:49PM by rjmacs.
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 20, 2020 01:52PM

Yes, he’s wild.
Posted by: vision63
Date: November 20, 2020 11:33PM
rjmacs
RgrF
His ‘turn card’ bluff will be an escalation & his ‘River card’ bluff could be really ugly.

I think it's an interesting perspective, but statements like this undermine the whole thing.

When you start talking in terms of vague threat and danger, you're playing the President's game. Say what you think might happen, and precisely how we should respond and why.

Things like this are framed as "here's my advice based on real, personal experience," but in truth they are ideological speeches meant to rally an unreflective base to respond.

What is Ed Norton putting on the line? What is he willing to risk? What has he already done to make a difference for Democrats? He wouldn't even endorse Barack Obama.

Feh.

I do think he's on point though.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 21, 2020 09:49AM
I've read that democrats should start suing for recounts in states where the margins of loss were equally wide, perhaps NC, for instance. I'm not of that mind, but it's worthy of some revenge level fantasy talk. After all, if the bluff were to be called...
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: November 21, 2020 09:51AM
mrbigstuff
I've read that democrats should start suing for recounts in states where the margins of loss were equally wide, perhaps NC, for instance. I'm not of that mind, but it's worthy of some revenge level fantasy talk. After all, if the bluff were to be called...

When they go low, we follow along.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 172
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020