advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Kemp & Raffensperger want to tighten absentee voting standards
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: November 21, 2020 10:08AM
The governor and secretary of state of Georgia want to require absentee voters to provide proof of ID with absentee ballots, a much more onerous standard than just a signature. This is a form of voter suppression.

The AJC reported on Nov. 10 that Kemp will not call a special session to try to change the rules for the runoffs, but that doesn't exactly square with the squawking they are doing now. Don't trust them.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Kemp & Raffensperger want to tighten absentee voting standards
Posted by: Acer
Date: November 21, 2020 10:18AM
Given the proven widespread absentee voter fraud in the last election, this move makes total sense. I think a short reading test should also be included, it's only proper that we assure those voting understand the instructions. Of course, this will all cost money, so a modest processing fee will also be assessed.

/s
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: November 21, 2020 11:07AM
Acer
Given the proven widespread absentee voter fraud in the last election, this move makes total sense. I think a short reading test should also be included, it's only proper that we assure those voting understand the instructions. Of course, this will all cost money, so a modest processing fee will also be assessed.

/s

Considering how many Trumpets are illiterate, it will never pass the senate.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 21, 2020 12:11PM
S. Pupp
Considering how many Trumpets are illiterate, it will never pass the senate.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 21, 2020 12:30PM
Seems like the voting standards that need the most fixing are the ones compelling all the machine counts to be tallied.

And how’s a new I.D. requirement gonna square with the tinfoil crowd, who don’t even think government I.D. is needed for anything?
Posted by: rgG
Date: November 21, 2020 02:24PM
I saw that in the paper today and I think it is ridiculous and would definitely be challenged in court
It really is too much to ask my 89 year old mother to somehow get a copy of her DL and include it with her ballot.
It would be inconvenient, even for me.
Also, I don’t want to be sending all my personal info along with my ballot. How do I know what they will do with it afterwards. They don’t need my DL number and other info.
Most elections you can’t even get people to vote, absentee or in person. Voter fraud is not an issue, except when you lose and want something to blame.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: November 21, 2020 03:43PM
Well put, rgG
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: November 21, 2020 04:10PM
Yup - it's voter suppression. Requiring ID at the polls is also voter suppression. Valid voter registration should be sufficient - that's when it's appropriate to ask for ID or other proof of residency and qualification not when you go to vote.

Impersonating someone else at the polls is a felony. In reality, this just doesn't happen.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: November 21, 2020 05:23PM
Whenever they claim this-or-that I.D. isn't good enough, or that the voter registration card alone isn't good enough. what they are saying is they don't know how to register voters.
Date: November 21, 2020 05:30PM
"The online request portal verifies a request using a Georgia state ID or driver's license number."

He wants a photo I.D. but those are already photo I.D.s are they not?
Posted by: rgG
Date: November 21, 2020 06:21PM
deckeda
"The online request portal verifies a request using a Georgia state ID or driver's license number."

He wants a photo I.D. but those are already photo I.D.s are they not?

If you DL and send in an absentee ballot request, you don’t have to provide the license number or any ID other than a signature.
I am OK with writing in the DL number on a paper form, or online, or even a voter registration number, if they want to issue those, I just don’t want to have to send in a copy of my actual license.
I had to input our DLs numbers when I requested our runoff ballot, but I didn’t need it when I emailed my request to the county for the general election, before they had they new website up and running.
I predict they may drop it down to just asking for the DL or GA ID card number, for future elections. It is still an attempt at voter suppression though.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 198
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020