advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Uh Oh Canada: 'Toronto goes into lockdown as COVID-19 cases climb"
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: November 21, 2020 03:05PM
shutting the border fails to keep the Trump virus from spreading.

Toronto goes into lockdown as COVID-19 cases climb
[www.cnn.com]
(CNN)Toronto, Canada's largest city, was placed into lockdown for 28 days on Friday, with officials shutting shops, businesses and restaurants and banning indoor gatherings to curb a growing spike in Covid-19 cases.

The lockdown will begin on Monday in the city and in Peel, a part of the Greater Toronto to the west of the city center.

Indoor social gatherings or events that include members of different households will be banned, and outdoor gatherings will be limited to no more than 10 people, Ontario Premier Doug Ford announced.
"We cannot afford a province-wide lockdown, so we are taking preventative action today by moving Toronto and Peel into lockdown level restrictions," he said. "We need to take decisive action to stop the spread of this deadly virus."

More than 1,400 new coronavirus cases were reported in Ontario on Friday, taking the province's total case since the start of the pandemic beyond 100,000. The region has been battling a rapidly rising rate of infections, with Toronto particularly badly hit; the city broke its record for new infections on Tuesday and has reported several hundred new cases each day this week.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Uh Oh Canada: 'Toronto goes into lockdown as COVID-19 cases climb"
Posted by: GGD
Date: November 21, 2020 03:09PM
At least they planned ahead and held their Thanksgiving in October.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: November 21, 2020 03:38PM
Toronto knows how to do it. They locked down SARS all those years ago, preventing it from reaching my hospital at the time, which was a mere 60 miles away.

My friends up north are pleading with people not to make things worse than they are. They’re approaching a breaking point. It’s awful.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 21, 2020 03:51PM
This is a blow up after Canuckistan Thanksgiving.

Plenty of neocon deniers north of the 49th parallel (and the other area below that line).

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: hal
Date: November 21, 2020 04:47PM
On the other hand, I just read this a couple of days ago (Nov 18):

I Am Living in a Covid-Free World Just a Few Hundred Miles From Manhattan

HALIFAX, Nova Scotia — This morning, my children went to school — school, in an old brick building, where they lined up to go in the scuffed front doors. I went to work out at the gym, the real gym, where I huffed and puffed in a sweaty group class. And a few days ago, my partner and I hosted a dinner party, gathering eight friends around the dining room table for a boisterous night that went too late. Remember those?

Where I’m living, we gather without fear. Life is unfolding much as it did a year ago. This magical, virus-free world is just one long day’s drive away from the Empire State Building — in a parallel dimension called Nova Scotia.

This is one of the four Atlantic provinces that cling to the coast of Canada, north and east of Maine. In Canada, these are typically known as “have-not provinces,” economically depressed areas dependent on cash transfers from wealthier provinces to the West.

In the pandemic era, however, “have not” takes on new meaning.

Our coronavirus lockdown began swiftly in March and was all-encompassing. The provincial borders were slammed shut. In Nova Scotia, even public hiking trails were closed, a big deal for a population used to the freedom to head into the wilderness at will. But the lockdown worked, and we released our collectively held breath as new case numbers dropped to the single digits. Restrictions eased in May and lifted in June; in early July, the Atlantic provinces “bubbled” together, allowing free travel among them — but maintaining a strict quarantine rule for anyone who came from outside. And the border to the south, the one with the United States, has remained firmly closed.

The horrific pandemic news from south of the border feels like a looming shadow these days. The numbers coming from the United States are almost ungraspable: 120,000, 140,000, 180,000 new cases a day. When I talk to friends there, they are locked up in their houses, trying to work with the kids running through the room, or, increasingly often, sick or recovering from Covid-19. Case counts are also climbing in other parts of Canada. My brother and his family in Montreal are once again in lockdown. The pictures I post in our group chat, of slumber parties and speedskating races, are a surreal contrast to their circumscribed days.

The pandemic has changed the way people live, here, too. We stand six feet apart in the line at the grocery store. There is plexiglass around the cashier at Starbucks. I had to keep my dinner party guest list to 10 people in total. Nova Scotia has required everyone to wear a mask in any indoor public space, including upper grade schools, since July. But that seems normal, by now, just one more thing in the morning: got your homework, got your lunch, got your mask? I can go days without the virus really intruding on my life.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 21, 2020 05:44PM
....climb.....every....mountain.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 21, 2020 07:25PM
What horrible personal freedoms have been lost there in Nova Scotia!
Posted by: hal
Date: November 21, 2020 07:38PM
sekker

a lack of int'l airports for a start - that gives them a BIG head start.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: November 22, 2020 10:24AM
Nova Scotia is almost an island, it's only connection to the mainland is through a small land neck between Truro, NS & Moncton, New Brunswick. My mom was from there so I've traveled it a number of times.

Really easy to control access with that sort of geography.
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 22, 2020 10:28AM
sekker

Bunch of Marxist commies. Right, Buck?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 222
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020