advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Bush proposes dousing wilderness areas with pesticide
Posted by: Refurbvirgin
Date: January 22, 2006 11:34AM
Each new evil seems intended to distract us from our outrage at the previous one.
[www.organicconsumers.org]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Bush proposes dousing wilderness areas with pesticide
Posted by: h linamen
Date: January 22, 2006 12:11PM

Why is everything that happens Pres. Bush's fault. The article you reference makes no mention of Bush...only the Bureau of Land Management.
Posted by: Penguin
Date: January 22, 2006 12:51PM
You may want to spend some time informing yourself of both sides to an arguement rather than simply reading what you obviously want to hear. Take a look at the critical problems that are facing states like Arizona in terms of land/forest management - in many areas infestations have killed over 30% of the forest - just waiting for the next fire to consume 10 of thousands of acres !!

It's easy to point fingers and whine, why don't you explain what you would suggest be done about the problem, or are you actually saying there is no problem !!

Brian
Date: January 22, 2006 02:51PM
h linamen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > Why is everything that happens Pres. Bush's
> fault. The article you reference makes no mention
> of Bush...only the Bureau of Land Management.

h linamen:
And who directs the BLM? Who appointed its director? Do you think they don't do anything without Bush's approval (or at least Cheney's)? Do you also think the pentagon is waging war on Iraq without his approval?

Penguin:
Under the proposal 932,000 acres would undergo chemical application in 17 western states, including National Monuments and National Conservation areas. An integral part of this proposal involves aerial spraying of toxic herbicides, which increases negative impacts on non-targeted vegetation, wildlife, and people, including recreationists, tourists, and native peoples. The pesticides that would be used include persistent and mobile chemicals, including known developmental and reproductive toxins.

from the petition:
"Fortunately, the proposal also includes an analysis of possible outcomes of using nonchemical means of managing these areas and offers an option (Option C) wherein traditional methods of vegetation management are used on public lands, not the use widespread application of toxic chemicals."

"U.S. biologists, ecologists and wildlife managers have a vast array of alternative vegetation management tools to choose from, without having to resort to applying toxic chemicals to our public lands. Please choose Option 3 (C)."

Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 22, 2006 08:23PM
I wonder which chemicals they want to use. I wonder which company makes those chemicals. I wonder how much that company donated to Bush or other Republicans.
Date: January 22, 2006 08:39PM
Dennis S Wrote:
>I wonder how much that company donated to Bush or
> other Republicans.

The proposal would also allow the use of "new chemicals that may be developed in the future." With the record of stillbirths, birth defects, and other health hazards associated with the use of herbicides in wiping out deciduous trees in coniferous forests the history of "apply first, research longterm effects later" will no doubt continue.

Posted by: h linamen
Date: January 23, 2006 10:16AM

Yeah, Refurbvirgin...... like the President has time to follow every item that is handled in every department of the government. It's great fun to knock Bush isn't it just because you're a democrat. Like Clinton handled every terroist episode so competently.
Date: January 23, 2006 10:29AM
Bush appointed the jerks making these decisions, so yes he's responsible. I voted for Nader rather than Gore, and Kerry only because Bush had gotten so much worse. I'm not a registered Green only because of their insistence on "feminism" as opposed to "gender equality," but the local chapter is working to change that. I don't support Hillary or any of the other pro-war Democrats. Clinton lost my vote for Gore when he supported the death squads in Colombia, and Albright justified the killing of half a million Iraqi kids, so no, I'm not a Democrat either. I don't really fit anywhere on the political spectrum so I consider myself an independent, fiscally conservative and socially responsible, so that given the choice between feeding people and bombing them the former takes priority.

If Bush wasn't so intent on destroying non-existent threats in Iraq maybe he'd be able to handle real threats to our security, like poorly maintained levees. Katrina caused more damage than 9/11 did, and our fellow citizens died because Bush had sent their national guard to Iraq and appointed a horseshow judge cronie to a post of critical national emergency responsibility.

Posted by: Kiva
Date: January 24, 2006 08:25PM
bingo...

Dennis S Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wonder which chemicals they want to use. I
> wonder which company makes those chemicals. I
> wonder how much that company donated to Bush or
> other Republicans.

Posted by: Penguin
Date: January 26, 2006 01:06AM
Refurbvirgin; You didn't address any of the points I brought up in my message. I can read and did read your original point why quote the same stuff back - why not address the issues I raised ??
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 183
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020