advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Imus Fired
Posted by: sscutchen
Date: April 12, 2007 05:51PM
He got fired 'cause his sponsers bailed. They bailed 'cause it looks sensitive to bail.

Had nothing to do with race or women athletes or bad jokes or stupid eyebrows or ...

Staples, Gen Motors, Amex... they all bailed.

His punishment for saying "nappy headed ho" during a slow news week was two weeks suspension.

His punishment for losing his sponsors was his job.

"There has been much discussion of the effect language like this has on our young people, particularly young women of color trying to make their way in this society," CBS President and Chief Executive Officer Leslie Moonves said in announcing the decision. "That consideration has weighed most heavily on our minds as we made our decision."

Would that sponsers were as sensitive to the hip hop lyrics on the "music" stations. THEN we'd be getting somewhere.

Here's part of the lyrics from the #1 hip hop song on Houston's all hip hop station,104.9.

baybee.

Pop, Lock and Drop: Huey
Baby Huey
I ain't gotta be yo man
but i really wouldn't mind
we ain't got to talk again i'm jus tryna have a time
if you a balla pulla stack out and smack her on da ayyy
pop lockin cock blockas get up out da way
let lil mami get low
giva space let her sweat
the club turnin to hoolas cause they shirts is so wet
from da window to da wall
lil mama showin her thong
the broad freakin herself it's tellin me that it's on
you ready then we can roll i'm tellin you we can go
i'm thinkin if i can handle it the way you make it roll
you groovin and speedin up
you right in between us
if you a stripteasa then baby don't tease us
at first i thought i was trippin
but my vision gettin clearer
you moving that thang around as if you practice in da mirra
she doin a new dance
what the next man said
i'm like naw she just pop locking on a headstand

Don't ask who the bell's for, dude. It's you.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Imus Fired
Posted by: spearmint
Date: April 12, 2007 07:25PM
On MSNBC I have watched him on and off because it's so early in the morning on the left coast. I have never heard anything like this before. I think he should be suspended not canned. Of course if his sponsors bail that's the end. I admire the work he does on his ranch for kids.

Da Good Life
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: April 12, 2007 07:33PM
I'm not an Imus fan (fool disclose) but don't hate him - just not a fan of the shock jock thing

He has been an ass for years and nobody cared because he took shots at politicos and other quasi celebrity -
fair enough targets I guess if they show up for their moment of hoin'

He took a shot at a bunch of college age athletes this time that didn't have a mic of their own
although they had a coach that was smart enough to see the PR opportunity of a free mic being offered.

The question of a cynic - I wonder how much pressure came from CBS sports / i.e. the NCAA

The NCAA / Final Four has to generate a lot more money that Don's little show

Posted by: Baby Tats
Date: April 12, 2007 07:59PM
I predict he will move to satellite radio.

BT

Signed parental releases are on file for all tattooed minors.
Posted by: spearmint
Date: April 12, 2007 08:38PM
Baby Tats
I predict he will move to satellite radio.

I think you got it right. If Stern can make an impact Imus should also. I just do not remember up until now him being a shock jock. He and his pals I thought were funny not offensive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2007 08:43PM by spearmint.
Posted by: billb
Date: April 12, 2007 09:06PM
Re: it is a shame Imus was fired
Posted by: robfilms
Date: April 13, 2007 01:06PM
i've been listening to don imus off and on for the past 20 years. there are days i appreciate, look forward to, the platform he provides for some of the most informed political discussion on radio. there are also days when i find his rant tiresome.

but i am disappointed that his misdeeds couldn't be turned into a forum for discussing the various issues which are at the bedrock of this media swirl.

too bad we missed an opportunity to turn a negative (the insulting language) into a positive (a conversation about stereotypes and the attending language).

be well

rob
Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: April 13, 2007 03:51PM
I don't think it's cynical at all to ask a question about CBS Sports and the Final Four. I think it's pragmatic. I think all of this will have blown over in a year and it won't affect the Final Four. Even if they hadn't fired him I don't think it would have had an effect because our attention spans are so short.
Posted by: Silencio
Date: April 13, 2007 06:03PM
Oh, gee, poor white American males! They can't insult anyone different from themselves anymore without repercussions! Help, help! they're being repressed! Had to watch a minute of Neil Cavuto pissing and moaning about same today -- just nauseating.

And the opportunistic vultures like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are just as bad, of course. Lots of heat, no light from any quarter -- but what's new?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 288
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018