You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
the truth about Cindy Sheehan's "protest" and arrest on 1/31
Posted by: incognegro
Date: February 01, 2006 09:50AM
What Really Happened
By Cindy Sheehan

t r u t h o u t | Perspective

Wednesday 01 February 2006

As most of you have probably heard, I was arrested before the State of the Union address last night.
I am speechless with fury at what happened and with grief over what we have lost in our country.
There have been lies from the police and distortions by the press (shocker). So this is what really happened:
This afternoon at the People's State of the Union Address in DC, where I was joined by Congresspersons Lynn Woolsey and John Conyers, Ann Wright, Malik Rahim and John Cavanagh, Lynn brought me a ticket to the State of the Union address. At that time, I was wearing the shirt that said: 2245 Dead. How many more?

After the PSOTU press conference, I was having second thoughts about going to the SOTU at the Capitol. I didn't feel comfortable going. I knew George Bush would say things that would hurt me and anger me, and I knew that I couldn't disrupt the address because Lynn had given me the ticket, and I didn't want to be disruptive out of respect for her. I, in fact, had given the ticket to John Bruhns, who is in Iraq Veterans Against the War. However, Lynn's office had already called the media, and everyone knew I was going to be there, so I sucked it up and went.

I got the ticket back from John, and I met one of Congresswoman Barbara Lee's staffers in the Longworth Congressional Office building and we went to the Capitol via the underground tunnel. I went through security once, then had to use the rest room and went through security again.

My ticket was in the 5th gallery, front row, fourth seat in. The person who in a few minutes was to arrest me, helped me to my seat.

I had just sat down and I was warm from climbing 3 flights of stairs back up from the bathroom so I unzipped my jacket. I turned to the right to take my left arm out, when the same officer saw my shirt and yelled, "Protester." He then ran over to me, hauled me out of my seat, and roughly (with my hands behind my back) shoved me up the stairs. I said something like "I'm going, do you have to be so rough?" By the way, his name is Mike Weight.

The officer ran with me to the elevators, yelling at everyone to move out of the way. When we got to the elevators, he cuffed me and took me outside to await a squad car. On the way out, someone behind me said, "That's Cindy Sheehan." At which point the officer who arrested me said, "Take these steps slowly." I said, "You didn't care about being careful when you were dragging me up the other steps." He said, "That's because you were protesting." Wow, I got hauled out of the People's House because I was "Protesting."

I was never told that I couldn't wear that shirt into the Congress. I was never asked to take it off or zip my jacket back up. If I had been asked to do any of those things ... I would have, and written about the suppression of my freedom of speech later. I was immediately and roughly (I have the bruises and muscle spasms to prove it) hauled off and arrested for "unlawful conduct."

After I had my personal items inventoried and my fingers printed, a nice Sgt. came in and looked at my shirt and said, "2245, huh? I just got back from there."

I told him that my son died there. That's when the enormity of my loss hit me. I have lost my son. I have lost my First Amendment rights. I have lost the country that I love. Where did America go? I started crying in pain.

What did Casey die for? What did the 2244 other brave young Americans die for? What are tens of thousands of them over there in harm's way for still? For this? I can't even wear a shirt that has the number of troops on it that George Bush and his arrogant and ignorant policies are responsible for killing.

I wore the shirt to make a statement. The press knew I was going to be there, and I thought every once in awhile they would show me, and I would have the shirt on. I did not wear it to be disruptive, or I would have unzipped my jacket during George's speech. If I had any idea what happens to people who wear shirts that make the neocons uncomfortable, that I would be arrested ... maybe I would have, but I didn't.

There have already been many wild stories out there.
I have some lawyers looking into filing a First Amendment lawsuit against the government for what happened tonight. I will file it. It is time to take our freedoms and our country back.

I don't want to live in a country that prohibits any person, whether or not he/she has paid the ultimate price for that country, from wearing, saying, writing, or telephoning any negative statements about the government. That's why I am going to take my freedoms and liberties back. That's why I am not going to let BushCo take anything else away from me ... or you.

I am so appreciative of the couple of hundred of protesters who came to the jail while I was locked up to show their support. We have so much potential for good. There is so much good in so many people.

Four hours and 2 jails after I was arrested, I was let out. Again, I am so upset and sore it is hard to think straight.
Keep up the struggle ... I promise you, I will too.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: the truth about Cindy Sheehan's "protest" and arrest on 1/31
Posted by: JoeM
Date: February 01, 2006 10:14AM
>>However, Lynn's office had already called the media, and everyone knew I was going to be there, so I sucked it up and went.

God knows I think the guy is a knucklehead and his VP is worse but there is a sense of propriorty that is usually observed by all at these types of events.

Maybe she should have had the common sense to change her shirt if she decided she HAD to go - or just don't go to protest.

Knucklehead award to Ms Sheehan as well.

JoeM
Posted by: Pops
Date: February 01, 2006 10:20AM
She should have known that our First Ammendments rights provided for a fenced in pen 4 blocks removed from the House chambers. That's where "good" protestors went.

Pretty ironic on a day that saw Martin Luther King's widow pass on.
Posted by: Refurbvirgin
Date: February 01, 2006 10:27AM
They might not have gone so easy on her if she'd worn a T-shirt with the number of innocent Iraqis Bush has killed. Bush won't talk to the mother of kid he sent to die for lies, but he will have her arrested. What sort of morally & empathetically crippled moran would support such a monster? (cue Shakeman)
Posted by: $tevie
Date: February 01, 2006 12:45PM
Martin Luther King did not cry like a baby every time he was arrested.
Date: February 01, 2006 01:23PM
true, $tevie.

is it possible that some women are more easily hurt than some men? did you read about how they manhandled her out of there, just to save face? she wasn't waving a weapon around, or shouting threats.

i found it sickening that Bush took time to praise King's widow at the start of his speech, while his values are so clearly against what she and her husband stood for - peace and non-violence.

Posted by: $tevie
Date: February 01, 2006 01:30PM
I was raised as a Quaker and so I was surrounded by anti-war activists. I knew people who worked with the Berrigan brothers, as well. It's a totally new concept to me that protesting against the government is supposed to be easy, safe and no more inconvenient then a walk in the park.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2006 01:32PM by $tevie.
Posted by: Effin Haole
Date: February 01, 2006 01:34PM
Freedom isn't free as they say, and neither is protest.

The weak will die and the cowards won't show.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: February 01, 2006 01:57PM
when this came on the news i wondered if someone wearing a pro-bush policy shirt would be removed.

i was relieved (in a weird way) to see the policy consistently enforced on a republican congressman's wife. in fact, the congressman is making a big stink about 1st amendment rights also. perhaps they need to clarify the 'rule' to say "No proselytizing."

no, MLK did not admit to crying every time he was arrested. we can't really know for sure if he did. however, though he had seen and experienced many atrocities, MLK hadn't lost one of his own children. Sheehan said she began to cry this time when she reflected on the loss of her son. the loss of a child is profound for a parent.
Date: February 01, 2006 02:51PM
good points, graylocks.

Date: February 01, 2006 03:58PM
Bush tells parents like Cindy he sent their children to die to protect their freedom, then pulls cr@p like this. When will America call "bullsh!t?" Cindy wasn't crying because she was being arrested, and probably not because she was being physically injured. She was grieving over the death of our nation's freedoms, as any true patriot would. I'm done grieving. Now I'm just pist.

Another woman friend lost her only son because of Bush's lies, too, so for me this is personal now. These women will grieve the rest of their lives, and anyone that demeans them for weeping inappropriately declares their own inhumanity.

Seth was an Army Ranger, and leaves behind a grieving young widow. George Bush is on the enemies list of any true patriot. For the sake of our nation he must be removed from power.
Posted by: billb
Date: February 01, 2006 04:43PM
Killed 180,000:

Bush knows how to fire a weapon ?
Posted by: Guitarman
Date: February 01, 2006 05:06PM
Saddam didn't pull any triggers and neither did Bush. Saddam is responsible for those deaths as Bush is responsible for the deaths due to his wars.

During vietnam, I was thrown into a paddy wagon for demonstrating in Rockefeller Center. Then the cops asked if anyone was under 18 in the van. I raised by hand (I was under 18) and they threw me back out and drove away.

Posted by: Effin Haole
Date: February 01, 2006 06:41PM
The truth is it is toal BS, proven so now with the charges being dropped with an apology.

[news.yahoo.com]
Date: February 01, 2006 06:44PM
The U.S. government put Saddam in power, encouraged and armed him to attack Iran (to which Reagan sold arms to fund his secret war on Nicaraugua) and looked the other way when Saddam used the chemical weapons technology we sold him to gas the Iranians. Bush's daddy encouraged the Shiites and Kurds to rise up during the Gulf War. They did, slaughtering Saddam's Sunni relatives, then we stood back and let him take revenge. Some speculate GHWB feared what his son has created - a theocracy aligned with Iran.

Now we are told we must attack Iran, though they are so far only trying to develop nuclear power as allowed under the Non-Proliferation Treaty they signed, unlike other regional powers that refused to do so, such as Israel, Pakistan, and India, which have gone beyond the power generation phase to having large arsenals of nuclear weapons. The fearmongers are trying to wag the dog and scare the US sheeple into going along with attacking Iran and Syria as the next step on the PNAC's roadmap to world domination.

Iraq was just a pothole in that path, and the neocons are certain if they can just destroy Iran and Syria then everything will fall into place. The American people are too ignorant, and too bloodthirsty (having never experienced modern war on their own land) to care, and will, as billb demonstrates, accept the slaughter of innumerable foreign innocents to maintain their own privileged lifestyle. Shame! And yet if we don't destroy Iran, and they begin selling their oil for Euros on their own bourse then the dollar will collapse and our life of luxury is over anyway.
[www.energybulletin.net]

"The real truth of the matter is, as you and I know, that a financial element in the large centers has owned the government of the U.S. since the days of Andrew Jackson.": - Franklin D. Roosevelt - (1882-1945), 32nd US President November 21, 1933 - Source: in a letter written to Colonel E. Mandell House

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2006 07:35PM by Refurbvirgin.
Posted by: h linamen
Date: February 01, 2006 06:48PM

Refurbvirgin..... it's kind of tiring to hear you blame Bush PERSONALLY for everything, not only in this thread but others. Yeah, right, like he gave the specific order for this one officer to over react and make the Sheehan arrest. And don't make the generalization that he's the President and responsible for everything that happens politically, legally and otherwise. Underlings often make wrong judgements.
Posted by: Marc Anthony
Date: February 01, 2006 07:06PM
The whole free speech zone thing really ticks me off. I don't see anthing that inappropriate about wearing a t-shirt with a message on it. Does that actually qualify as a protest? Is there really a law that was broken here, or just an unofficial policy? If the latter, I hope Sheehan sues for false arrest.

Le po├Ęte doit vivre beaucoup, vivre dans tous les sens. - Verlaine
Posted by: HeyDude
Date: February 01, 2006 07:18PM
If cindy feels this way, she should move to another country
Date: February 01, 2006 08:15PM
h linamen -

Policy trickles down from the top, and underlings savoring promotion & retention will obey perceived preferences, even if the order is never directly given. Bush has a long history of denying any dissent from his audiences, so naturally the cop in the aisle assumed he was doing the smart thing, and yes, I do blame Bush for not tolerating dissent ever since he bellowed "you're either with us or with the terrorists."

A truly great American president, Thomas Jefferson, said "Dissent is the highest form of patriotism."

A wiser warmongering president said:

"The President is merely the most important among a large number of public servants. He should be supported or opposed exactly to the degree which is warranted by his good conduct or bad conduct, his efficiency or inefficiency in rendering loyal, able, and disinterested service to the Nation as a whole. Therefore it is absolutely necessary that there should be full liberty to tell the truth about his acts, and this means that it is exactly necessary to blame him when he does wrong as to praise him when he does right. Any other attitude in an American citizen is both base and servile. To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public. Nothing but the truth should be spoken about him or any one else. But it is even more important to tell the truth, pleasant or unpleasant, about him than about any one else."
Theodore Roosevelt in the Kansas City Star, May 7, 1918

Cindy has paid her dues in full to be a citizen of this country, HeyDude. How have you paid a higher price that entitles you to tell her to leave?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2006 01:36PM by Refurbvirgin.
Posted by: hal
Date: February 01, 2006 11:17PM
graylocks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i was relieved (in a weird way) to see the policy
> consistently enforced on a republican
> congressman's wife. in fact, the congressman is
> making a big stink about 1st amendment rights
> also. perhaps they need to clarify the 'rule' to
> say "No proselytizing."

The congressman's wife was not arrested - HUGE difference.
Date: February 02, 2006 11:43AM
Refurbvirgin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Cindy has paid her dues in full to be a citizen of
> this country, HeyDude. How have you paid a higher
> price that entitles you to tell her to leave?

I am a vet of the Persan Gulf, and Bosnia.
I've given blood in the Emirates, and
it gave me the Syndrome. If my kids want to
serve when they graduate, I'll be proud of them.
I've paid my dues, and so have other members
of my family. My father was in Korea, my older sister
was a victim of sniping in S. Korea even though she wasn't in a direct combat MOS. My brother was in Panama.
My nephew also served, but his 4 years fell in-between
the Persian Gulfs.

All of this is irrelevant as the Constitution provides(thank you first amendment) the right for citizens to legally
have their say.

The majority of parents who have lost children in war
are not carrying on like her. Sorry that she changed her mind about her son's career choice, that she has to embarrass him in death.

Her side is only one. I am sure she carefully worded her
story as to get the maximum sympathy value, and had it reviewed by her associates for clarity and potency.

And as it was written in hindsight, 100% accurate in her mind.

She's always free to leave.

And so are you, Nose.

Date: February 02, 2006 01:42PM
HeyDude,
Are you familiar with the story of Smedley Butler? 2xMOH, Marine Corps Commandant.
"War is a Racket" is good reading for any foolish enough to enlist in Bush's gang.
[www.google.com]

"Military men are just dumb stupid animals to be used as pawns in foreign policy."
- Henry Kissinger
Date: February 02, 2006 03:41PM
nose, you never change.

instead of talking, you just avoid with rhetoric

funny that both Butler and I served to protect the
freedoms of pissants like you.
Date: February 02, 2006 03:59PM
HeyDude Wrote:
> funny that both Butler and I served to protect
> the
> freedoms of pissants like you.
>
How did you protect my freedom? Butler realized that he'd been a gangster for corporations. When will you?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 291
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018