advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
'Marlboro Man' Turns Against War He Symbolised
Posted by: Refurbvirgin
Date: February 02, 2006 01:31PM
Dan Rather got all verklempt over the photo, and the media splashed his face everywhere as the spirit of the American fighting man, indomitably scanning the horizon for danger.

Too bad that with the nightmares, blankouts, and other symptoms of PTSD (which Bush could care less about) he returned with an intact conscience. Isn't basic training s'posed to eliminate that? At least he's cut back to a pack and a half a day.
[www.truthout.org]

One third of the homeless are veterans. The way this country treats veterans is shameful. More Vietnam veterans have committed suicide than were killed over there. The same will be true of Iraq, another dishonorable war for lies.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 'Marlboro Man' Turns Against War He Symbolised
Posted by: JJ
Date: February 02, 2006 01:43PM
I find it hard to believe that anyone could smoke 5 packs of cigarettes a day.

He was a trained marine at the time the picture was taken AND smoked 5 packs of cigarettes a day... Just doesn't sound plausible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2006 01:44PM by JJ.
Posted by: Pops
Date: February 02, 2006 01:44PM
One third of the homeless are veterans. The way this country treats veterans is shameful. More Vietnam veterans have committed suicide than were killed over there.

Documentation?

That's such a distressing statistic that I think it ought be confirmed. My fear is that it will be.
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: February 02, 2006 01:55PM
> One third of the homeless are veterans.

The actual estimate from the VA is approx. 1/3rd of all homeless adult males are veterans. Still a lot.

> More Vietnam veterans have committed suicide than were
> killed over there.

That's a myth. Here are the facts:
[www.vhfcn.org]
[my.eiis.net]

Approx. 9,000 Vietnam vets have committed suicide vs. 58,169 men who died in service. The national average suicide rate is just under 1 in 10,000 per year in the U.S., which means that out of the 3.4 million soldiers who served in the South East Asia theater, roughly 340 of them would be expected to commit suicide EACH YEAR. If you spread that out over 30 years, the distribution is very close to the national average.

I agree that this country does not treat veterans with the respect that they deserve. The ever-shrinking VA retirement, health and education benefits are ridiculous.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2006 02:01PM by MacMagus.
Date: February 02, 2006 02:04PM
"One third of the homeless are veterans"
- VA Administration
[www1.va.gov]

"More Vietnam veterans have committed suicide than were killed over there."
- National Veterans Foundation says 110,000 suicides vs. 58,169 died in Vietnam.
[www.nvf.org]

Thanks for asking. A close friend was among them. I've housed a homeless vet, and the stories he told me about Vietnam confirmed my belief we were lied into war for the profit of multinational corporations that saw it as a cash cow, to be kept going indefinitely, much as is Iraq.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2006 02:08PM by Refurbvirgin.
Date: February 02, 2006 02:24PM
> National Veterans Foundation says 110,000 suicides

As one of my cites mentions, the number has been misreported by the press. The origin of the inflated number seems to be Chuck Dean, who originally estimated over a hundred thousand suicides, then 150,000, then 200,000 apparently all in an effort to promote his book.

Dan Rather's portrayal of Vietnam vets as f-ed up social misfits has been rather soundly debunked by the Burkett reports and by those who followed after him.

Do some real research next time.
Date: February 02, 2006 03:00PM
Your first link quotes Nixon and Westmoreland, both verified liars. Neither has any credibility with me. The vast majority of the Vietnam vets I've talked to are not proud of what they or their country did. The links appear to be primarily government propaganda. No sale.
Date: February 02, 2006 03:19PM
> The links appear to be primarily government propaganda.

You're blind, Loki. I feel sorry for you.
Date: February 02, 2006 03:52PM
Don't feel sorry for me. Feel sorry for the parents and children of those who died for Johnson's lies in Vietnam, and who are dying for Bush's lies in Iraq & Afghanistan.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 298
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018