advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
5000 Hurricane Refugees Losing Free Room and Board
Posted by: mjgkramer
Date: February 07, 2006 01:13PM
I just heard on TV that 5000 or so refugees from Katrina will no longer be living in their free hotel rooms with room service meals. I think the whole lot should have to get out and find their own accomodations and start supporting themselves. I would think 6 months living off the taxpayers is enough. Of course many of them are used to living on the dole in New Orleans so see no reason to make it on their own. To them welfare is welfare.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 5000 Hurricane Refugees Losing Free Room and Board
Posted by: Refurbvirgin
Date: February 07, 2006 01:17PM
If the government would just take the $2 billion a year we give to Israel and rebuild their homes they wouldn't have to stay in those hotel rooms. Many were displaced to communities where no employment opportunities exist, and they just want to go home but they are probhibited from doing so because levees haven't been restored or pumps repaired, and the homes they left behind are uninhabitable. Of course if we weren't spending billions a month trying to colonize the mideast we might be able to take care of our own, too.
Posted by: mjgkramer
Date: February 07, 2006 01:23PM
Let's see if I understand you, RV. There are no jobs available in Houston, where many of them have chosen to stay? There are no jobs in San Antonio where many of them have chosen to stay? There are no jobs in Baton Rouge where many of them have chosen to stay? There jobs, but apparently many of them see no reason to get one if they can live for free.
Posted by: macaroo
Date: February 07, 2006 01:30PM
Refurbvirgin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If the government would just take the $2 billion a
> year we give to Israel and rebuild their homes
> they wouldn't have to stay in those hotel rooms.
> Many were displaced to communities where no
> employment opportunities exist, and they just want
> to go home but they are probhibited from doing so
> because levees haven't been restored or pumps
> repaired, and the homes they left behind are
> uninhabitable. Of course if we weren't spending
> billions a month trying to colonize the mideast we
> might be able to take care of our own, too.

Where in the Constitution does it state that the Federal Government is responsible to rebuild it's citizens homes after a natural disaster. Take control of your own destiny and stop whining about the lack of government support. And whose fault is it that you don't have a marketable skill set. Must be George Bush's fault some how!!

Date: February 07, 2006 01:34PM
There are no doubt lots of people scamming the system, just as there are in Bush's government (think no-bid contracts for Halliburton), but there also people who left behind everything they owned in areas that have yet to be rebuilt. In another thread it's noted that FEMA hasn't even provided trailers yet so people can return home and rebuild their lives. If we put the same resources into defending our people against real threats posed by natural disasters as we put into fighting fake threats, such as those we were told Saddam posed, then those people could go home and rebuild their lives. The government wants them to abandon their homes and lives, though. They don't want them to return so they can bulldoze those areas and make parks for the rich.
Date: February 07, 2006 01:37PM
Our Constitution mandates Congress to provide for the common defense. Floridian homeowners in upscale areas didn't have to wait nearly this long for aid. It helps, of course, when the governor is the president's brother. If we can afford to destroy Iraq, which posed no threat to us, and rebuild it we can do the same for our own citizens.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 07, 2006 01:42PM
Refurb,

So, how long should these individuals and families retain free acccomadations and, apparently, room service?

Robert
Date: February 07, 2006 01:48PM
Robert M Wrote:
> Refurb,
>
> So, how long should these individuals and families
> retain free acccomadations and, apparently, room
> service?

How long should we continue wasting billions a month establishing a theocracy in Iraq, squandering much of it unaccountably? Of course if defending our country was the real purpose for the $240 billion we've spent (heading for two trillion) then ALL of it has been squandered, since no threat existed there. I'd rather waste the money at home, where at least our own people would benefit, no matter how lazy they are, and we are a lazy lot, otherwise we'd be out in the streets protesting the discrepancies between exit polls and rigged ballot counts, like the people of former Soviet Georgia did.

Date: February 07, 2006 01:52PM
Refurb,

You avoided my question completely by going off on topics that are irrelevant to it. My question. For the second time.

How long should these individuals and families retain free acccomadations and, apparently, room service?

Please stay on the topic and be specific in your answer.

Robert
Date: February 07, 2006 02:00PM
It's all related Robert. As Will Rogers said:
"The ethics of a nation are only as good as its leaders, never better."

As long as the people see the leaders enriching themselves at the public trough they will seek to get a nibble themselves, like hyenas darting in to grab a morsel as the lions feed. Shut off the spigot for the fat-cats at Halliburton and then you may have some justification for condemning the little guys just trying to get their share of the loot.
Posted by: Greg the dogsitter
Date: February 07, 2006 02:04PM
[www.freep.com]
Posted by: Guitarman
Date: February 07, 2006 02:24PM
Why are you guys arguing with a maniac? Well I know. it's fun and it sucks you in sometimes. What does Israel have to do with Katrina victims? Other than your (Loki) rush to finish the job that Hitler started.

Date: February 07, 2006 02:33PM
Guitarman Wrote:
> Why are you guys arguing with a maniac? Well I
> know. it's fun and it sucks you in sometimes. What
> does Israel have to do with Katrina victims? Other
> than your (Loki) rush to finish the job that
> Hitler started.

Godwin alert.

Note: Whenever you feel incapable of responding logically to an argument (e.g. that we should be spending the $2 billion we give to Israel every year on the needs of Americans) compare your opponent to Hitler. Works every time.

Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: February 07, 2006 02:37PM
There are a bazillion jobs in the New Orleans area (New Orleans, Metairie, Kenner, Slidell, LaPlace, etc.). I've been there, ever so briefly, and seen it. I hear about it when I talk to relatives back home.

Even fast food places like Burger King are offering signing bonuses and extra bonuses every week for staying employed there. The city is starving for people to work.

I stayed in the hotel for a few weeks, then rented a house nearby (here in Arkansas). Insurance and the housing authority helped us get going. They still are, to an extent.

I'm working every day. Hell, I should be working now rather than posting.

I know you're not putting all New Orleanians in the same boat (ha ha ha) but I thought I'd mention it.

FWIW, I don't remember any of my meals being free at the hotel, or paid for via the hotel's agreement with FEMA or whoever. We got a lot of free meals from the kind souls who live around here.

Make it a good day today.
Date: February 07, 2006 02:42PM
Refurb,

You go off on tangents to your hearts content but I will repeat the question until you answer it.

How long should these individuals and families retain free acccomadations and, apparently, room service?

Again, please stay on the topic and be specific in your answer.

Robert
Date: February 07, 2006 03:01PM
Refurbvirgin Wrote:
> User ignored - click to show/hide this message
> Guitarman Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Why are you guys arguing with a maniac? Well
> I
> > know. it's fun and it sucks you in sometimes.
> What
> > does Israel have to do with Katrina victims?
> Other
> > than your (Loki) rush to finish the job
> that
> > Hitler started.
>
> Godwin alert.
>
> Note: Whenever you feel incapable of responding
> logically to an argument (e.g. that we should be
> spending the $2 billion we give to Israel every
> year on the needs of Americans) compare your
> opponent to Hitler. Works every time.
>
>
>

You are a living breathing Godwin alert, Scoutmaster boy. Israel has nothing to do with Katrina. Israel is the only functioning democracy in the middle east and is an alie. We give about as much money in aid to the arab countries around Israel. So the point is? Also, let's see proof of this so called $2 Billion a year. I'd like to see it in black and white (and not on one of your pro arab anti jew websites).

Date: February 07, 2006 03:21PM
I never said Israel had anything to do with Katrina. I have said that our own people's needs should come first. Is the Christian Science Monitor too anti-jew for you?

"Since 1973, Israel has cost the United States about $1.6 trillion. If divided by today's population, that is more than $5,700 per person."
[www.csmonitor.com]
Date: February 07, 2006 03:27PM
Yet again, a skewed anti jewish opinion from the resident mac forum anti semite. Here's another take on this.

[www.hfienberg.com]

Date: February 07, 2006 03:39PM
Refurb,

You continue to discuss and/or bring up topics that are irrelevant, i.e. Israel. BTW, If Israel didn't have anything to do with Katrina, you should never have brought it up in this thread the first place. But, back to the question...

How long should these individuals and families retain free acccomadations and, in some cases, room service? (Modified because Zoidberg didn't receive free room service)

Again, please refrain from going off on tangents that are irrelevant and and be specific in your answer.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2006 03:44PM by Robert M.
Date: February 07, 2006 03:40PM
The money went to a good cause. Bush used it to invade Iraq and save more children from being starved by Saddam. Loki said it himself.

Date: February 07, 2006 03:49PM
Robert M Wrote:
> How long should these individuals and families
> retain free acccomadations and, in some cases,
> room service? (Modified because Zoidberg didn't
> receive free room service)

Bush says we're there for the Iraqis as long as they need us. I think the same should be said for our fellow citizens, and that they should take priority.
Date: February 07, 2006 04:06PM
Refurb,

A response to the question. Finally. The response is vague to the point that it doesn't answer the question at all, but it is a response to the question and on topic. I agree that our citizens should take priority over the Iraqis.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2006 04:07PM by Robert M.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: February 07, 2006 04:21PM
I went to Metairie, a suburb of New Orleans, a week ago to clear out my old office and a storage room. I have neighbors still living in tents because they're still waiting on trailers. And some in trailers who can't use them properly because they're not hooked up right.

It's the biggest example of @#$%& I've ever seen in my life.

Date: February 07, 2006 04:50PM
By the way, did you notice loki scoutmaster buttboy gets his facts and figures from websites such as

[www.palestinemonitor.org]

or better yet

[www.killallthejews.com]

and

[www.pushisraleintothesea.com]

yeah we believe those websites.

Date: February 07, 2006 07:22PM
I've never quoted any of those sites, or even visited them, never been in the Boy Scouts, and never been anybody's "butt boy." I have reported your vile and violent language to the mods repeatedly, and yet still you are allowed to persist. I am told:

"State your opinions, and keep your comments about other members, or references TO them, OUT OF YOUR POSTS."

I have never initiated an attack on you, G'man. Why are you allowed to continue this reprehensible libel?
Date: February 07, 2006 07:28PM
Refurbvirgin Wrote:
> User ignored - click to show/hide this message
> I've never quoted any of those sites, or even
> visited them, never been in the Boy Scouts, and
> never been anybody's "butt boy." I have reported
> your vile and violent language to the mods
> repeatedly, and yet still you are allowed to
> persist. I am told:
>
> "State your opinions, and keep your comments about
> other members, or references TO them, OUT OF YOUR
> POSTS."
>
> I have never initiated an attack on you, G'man.
> Why are you allowed to continue this reprehensible
> libel?

Oh really???? Never had anything to do with a scoutmaster???????

Date: February 07, 2006 07:30PM
No. And if I had, what relevance does it have at all to the issue of cutting off aid to hurricane victims?
Date: February 07, 2006 07:32PM
Refurbvirgin Wrote:
> User ignored - click to show/hide this message No.
> And if I had, what relevance does it have at all
> to the issue of cutting off aid to hurricane
> victims?

Because your denial proves that you are a liar. So, you never posted the name of a scoutmaster on AS accusing him of playing hide the salami with you when you were a kid?

Date: February 07, 2006 07:44PM
He was a YMCA counselor who got me drunk when I was in my early teens and tried to rape me. He failed. When I gained access to the internet I did a search on his name and found that he was STILL involved with youth, now as a Boy Scout leader. When you began making threats to kill me on AS and my true name and location were revealed I realized I had nothing left to lose, so as a public service I revealed what I had kept as a shameful secret for many years, since you were threatening to end my life imminently anyway, and people needed to know about him and the danger he posed to their children. You wanted to know all about me, so I told you.

You will answer to God for your advocacy of violence, your threats, and your lies, and though I pity you I do not wish to descend to your level. Now leave me alone.
Date: February 07, 2006 07:48PM
Refurbvirgin Wrote:
> User ignored - click to show/hide this message He
> was a YMCA counselor who got me drunk when I was
> in my early teens and tried to rape me. He failed.
> When I gained access to the internet I did a
> search on his name and found that he was STILL
> involved with youth, now as a Boy Scout leader.
> When you began making threats to kill me on AS and
> my true name and location were revealed I realized
> I had nothing left to lose, so as a public service
> I revealed what I had kept as a shameful secret
> for many years, since you were threatening to end
> my life imminently anyway, and people needed to
> know about him and the danger he posed to their
> children. You wanted to know all about me, so I
> told you.
>
> You will answer to God for your advocacy of
> violence, your threats, and your lies, and though
> I pity you I do not wish to descend to your level.
> Now leave me alone.

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

grinning smiley

Date: February 07, 2006 07:52PM
Refurbvirgin Wrote:
> User ignored - click to show/hide this message He
> was a YMCA counselor who got me drunk when I was
> in my early teens and tried to rape me. He failed.
> When I gained access to the internet I did a
> search on his name and found that he was STILL
> involved with youth, now as a Boy Scout leader.

I didn' t know they allowed access to the internet in the criminally insave ward at Walla Walla. Who knew.

Date: February 07, 2006 07:58PM
And what are you celebrating? You're a cruel, vicious liar, with no redeeming human characteristics. You think you've won something here? You've been condemned by your own words. What goes around comes around, G'man. When we senselessly attempt to cause others suffering that suffering comes back to us. I hope you enjoy what remains of your pitiful life, as toxic and painful as it must be for you to manifest externally what you carry internally. You claim to be a musician, but music is beautiful and enhances life, and you only make life uglier. When you change your mission in life, your music will improve, and you may truly make a constructive contribution to the world, like other truly talented musicians do.
Good luck.
Date: February 07, 2006 08:00PM
Refurbvirgin Wrote:
> User ignored - click to show/hide this message And
> what are you celebrating? You're a cruel, vicious
> liar, with no redeeming human characteristics. You
> think you've won something here? You've been
> condemned by your own words. What goes around
> comes around, G'man. When we senselessly attempt
> to cause others suffering that suffering comes
> back to us. I hope you enjoy what remains of your
> pitiful life, as toxic and painful as it must be
> for you to manifest externally what you carry
> internally. You claim to be a musician, but music
> is beautiful and enhances life, and you only make
> life uglier. When you change your mission in life,
> your music will improve, and you may truly make a
> constructive contribution to the world, like other
> truly talented musicians do.
> Good luck.

I think the nutjob that links Katrina to Israel in his march to destroy Isreal is the liar and the sicko. I'm just having some fun here myself.

Date: February 07, 2006 08:04PM

with appologies to the appleswitcher singers.

Quote:
Do the Lokimotive With Me
(sung to the tune of "Locomotion")

Everybody's really getting
Awful sick now,
Come on baby
Do the Lokimotive
Of Lokimotive's ranting,
And his self-righteous schtick now,
Come on baby
Do the Lokimotive

It really doesn't matter
If you're Left or Right,
'cause all of Loki's messages
Are smug and trite
So come on, come on
Do the Lokimotive with me

You've gotta
Post some links now,
Come on baby
Talk smack, Iraq,
Well I think
You've got the knack!
Woah woah

Now that you can do it
Let's hijack a thread now,
Come on baby
Do the Lokimotive
Let's post a bunch of pictures
Of the maimed and dead now,
Come on baby
Do the Lokimotive

Cause if they use the forum,
Then they must pay the price,
Of hearing me obsess
On Condaleeza Rice,
So come on, come on
Do the Lokimotive with me

Yay, yay, yay, yeah

Move around the forum
With your head a noddin'
Come on baby
Do the Lokimotive
Keep makin' excuses
For Osama Bin Laden
Come on baby
Do the Lokimotive

There's never been a trolling
That's so easy to do,
Just keep repeating nonsense
'til your face turns blue,
So come on, come on
Do the Lokimotive with me!

Posted by: HeyDude
Date: February 07, 2006 11:23PM
Today I was working with a refugee. Our employer is nationwide, and had 6 offices in N.O. Anyway, he expressed that with the financial AID rushed to accommodate displaced victims, he actually made out better, financialy.

He used the money to replace the two cars he lost, and to
assist his daughters who have been boarding him until he can decide whether or not there is anything to return to in N.O.

About what the author stated at the top of this thread, I mostly agree.

IMHO, a person takes responsibilty on what they've worked for, so gravy train'r gets upset at losing their ticket because that's the only thing they work for.
Posted by: Ruby Begonia
Date: February 08, 2006 02:45PM
Our aunt and uncle (in their 80's) evacuated from St. Bernard
Parish with a change of underwear. Their home is condemned.
FEMA lady just chuckled at them and told them they were "too
old" to get any help. Both worked all their lives. They moved
to Albuquerque and lived with their daughter for a while and
then found themselves an apartment. Nobody helped them or put
them up....nobody is paying their rent. Apparently your
reward for working and paying taxes is to be discarded by
the government. They were not looking for a handout...and
apparently would not have gotten one if they were. There
must be a lesson in there somewhere.
Date: February 08, 2006 02:55PM
Ruby Begonia Wrote:

> There
> must be a lesson in there somewhere.

If only the red states would learn it. If you're a giant corporation, like Chrysler, and give lots of money to politicians, when you go broke you get bailed out. If you're a Chrysler worker, get laid off and go broke you're on your own. The biggest welfare kings & queens are in corporate board rooms.

Posted by: bradsdad
Date: February 09, 2006 08:01PM
Ruby Begonia Wrote:
> Our aunt and uncle (in their 80's) evacuated from
> St. Bernard
> Parish with a change of underwear. Their home is
> condemned.
> FEMA lady just chuckled at them and told them they
> were "too
> old" to get any help. Both worked all their lives.
> They moved
> to Albuquerque and lived with their daughter for a
> while and
> then found themselves an apartment. Nobody helped
> them or put
> them up....nobody is paying their rent.
> Apparently your
> reward for working and paying taxes is to be
> discarded by
> the government. They were not looking for a
> handout...and
> apparently would not have gotten one if they were.
> There
> must be a lesson in there somewhere.

The lesson is: you can only really rely on family and friends (not a government), and you need to support your older family members. So they do not feel discarded by their kids and relatives.

---
bradsdad
---no signature required
Date: February 09, 2006 08:43PM
bradsdad Wrote:
> The lesson is: you can only really rely on family
> and friends (not a government), and you need to
> support your older family members.

And if you're alone in the world, or your family is too poor to help you, you're up the creek. Our Constitution mandates Congress to provide for the common defense. Hurricane Katrina turned out to be as great a threat to the security of the people of the gulf states than any foreign enemy, and it is not unreasonable for them to expect the same sort of aid rich folks get when things go sour for them. Think savings & loan bailout, Chrysler bailout, etc. Welfare for corporations is written into many bills that come out of your congress, and massive no-bid contracts, like those Bush gave Cheney's firm, are common. Self-reliance is a good thing, but it needs to be practiced first by those at the top of the socio-economic ladder who have their snouts in the public trough.
Date: February 09, 2006 09:26PM
You are never too poor to help your family. As long as you have a TV set, you can help your family. As long as you can travel a thousand miles to DC to protest not getting a handout, you can help. So many people have been helped by charitable organizations during the Kat-rita crisis. No one is alone where there is a church.

Ruby should help her elderly aunt and uncle, like her sister did. It's the human thing to do.

And Katrina was NOT a threat to our national security. You are dead wrong about that. The terrorist threat that we are dealing with in the middle east is.

These people that are being evicted are doing so because that did not apply for aid extensions. They would not answer the door to their hotel rooms when FEMA folks came by a half dozen times (that's 6).

In 2004, after Frances and Jeanne came thru our neighborhood, I made sure that I was home when FEMA came by, and greeted the lady with a smile, not a demand for why it took so long.

rv, i'm starting to think this is your own private blog here.

---
bradsdad
---no signature required
Date: February 09, 2006 11:41PM
What if your whole family was evicted by Katrina, and everything you had is lost? I wish the government had the same sense of "you're on your own" when the Iraqis "needed" help throwing out Saddam. Maybe if we didn't install these dictators, like Saddam and Noriega, we wouldn't have to remove them. We're spending close to five billion bucks a month on war against people that posed no threat to us, and never harmed us. Meanwhile the very real threat of poorly maintained levees was ignored and cut from the budget.

Do you have the same attitude towards corporate welfare and bailouts? Personal responsibility starts at the top in a society, not at the bottom.
Date: February 11, 2006 09:10AM
Refurb,

Responsibility starts with the individual. People ought to help themselves to the best of their ability before relying on others for support. To say it starts at the top initially takes responsibility away from the individual and places it on others in the beginning. That's utterly ridiculous.

Robert
Posted by: RgrF
Date: February 12, 2006 02:32AM
Give that people have the first reponsibility, some do that better than others but none of that excuses the government agencies that we pay for through our taxes for not doing their job.

Jobs that individual families simply cannot do.

And thats what happened, they didn't do their job. Thousands of families did come through, but the government failed at all levels.

I lived through a disasterous earthquake in LA and we were on our own for several days, within a week we were flooded (no pun intended) with minimal red tape Federal government services.

That didn't happen for the folks in New Orleans and Mississippi. Comes from staffing agencies with political appointees. They did the same in Iraq. Cost lives but hell there's pork to distribute.
Date: February 12, 2006 08:08AM
Robert M Wrote:
> Refurb,
>
> Responsibility starts with the individual. People
> ought to help themselves to the best of their
> ability before relying on others for support.

You didn't answer my question:

Do you have the same attitude towards corporate welfare and bailouts? Shouldn't the fatcats be living out of cardboard boxes before the taxpayer steps in to save their stupid, incompetent @#$%&e$? Republicans have a different standard when its their rich buddies in trouble financially.

Date: February 12, 2006 09:47AM
Refurb,

I was talking about the individual and only the individual as referenced in your quote.

Robert

P.S. Roger, agreed. Individual responsibility aside, it's clear the government agencies botched the job in the wake of Katrina.
Date: February 12, 2006 10:44AM
Also, remember that government starts with local city government, then the parish, then the state, and then the federal government. Here in Florida the counties and state have well-defined emergency action plans, staffed with full-time leaders who take the responsibility for designing and carrying out those plans. Perhaps the NO mayor and LA governor should check out how they should be caring for the citizens, not just passing the buck up the government chain. The blame does not rest solely on the feds, as the chocolatetown mayor seems to think.

---
bradsdad
---no signature required
Posted by: RgrF
Date: February 13, 2006 04:38AM
bradsdad Wrote:
> Also, remember that government starts with local
> city government, then the parish, then the state,
> and then the federal government. Here in Florida
> the counties and state have well-defined emergency
> action plans, staffed with full-time leaders who
> take the responsibility for designing and carrying
> out those plans. Perhaps the NO mayor and LA
> governor should check out how they should be
> caring for the citizens, not just passing the buck
> up the government chain. The blame does not rest
> solely on the feds, as the chocolatetown mayor
> seems to think.

>
> ---
> bradsdad
> ---no signature required

How did local government look after Andrew or after a number of other Florida 'canes. FEMA sure was there for Floridians like it wasn't for "chocolate Louisianins" or is that a another issue.

You must be a panhandle Floridian. You seem to talk or more accurately type like one. Bet you think Jeb is the best thing to come to your state since reconstruction and Catherine Harris isn't a crook.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 269
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018