advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Re: biden was great!
Posted by: swampy
Date: October 03, 2008 02:05PM
Peter B...

I don't see how using the words "diverse" or "diversity" plays any sort of victim card

Well you raised the subject and brought up 'people of color' being offended.

diverse....it was a very poor word choice-- that word has definite meanings to people of color

'People of color' tend to use perfectly acceptable words like diversity, articulate, lynching etc. as a racial card and play the victim of racial slurs. Lynching is a strong word, and may be offensive to a blacks, but there are parts of the county that use the word in reference to stringing wild game before field dressing it.

So, can you understand that if a black person overhears two hunters at the local 7-11 saying. "We lynched three of them suckers in an hour", would be offended, but the hunters have no idea they've committed some offense?

If you don't stand for something, you'll probably fall for anything.t
Options:  Reply • Quote
Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: October 03, 2008 04:36PM
I didn't realize Palin was winking. I thought she might have been experiencing mini-strokes.

Posted by: lafinfil
Date: October 03, 2008 04:50PM
$tevie
Grateful11
What's with Palin winking so much? Is she trying to turn-on all the sex
starved idiots that are lusting after her?

Well, hello there, sailor.

It seemed a stage wink ... like she was letting the viewers in on "the joke"

Posted by: Grumpyguy
Date: October 03, 2008 05:13PM
Palin won, say by a 55% to 45% margin.

One thing I don't get, is why the McCain camp is blaming this financial mess on the Democrats. The CRA and Democratic minority in the Senate blocking reform of Fannie Mae and Freddie back in 2003, 2004, 2005.

Bryan
Date: October 03, 2008 05:24PM
Grumpy... it's called politics. The Republicans couldn't get enough votes so it died on the floor.

The Democrats and some Republicans blocked it because it would "hurt the minorities" who were getting the bulk of the sub-prime loans in fear of losing that segment of the voters. Then there were the Congresscritters that were making big bucks off of the Fanny/Freddy CRA scam.

Posted by: decocritter
Date: October 03, 2008 07:00PM
I find it sexist and narrow, that only women politicians get talked about, in terms of "cute" , perky little head, tight skirt, etc. Women never discuss the guys looks, but I am going to start.

What does that have to do with anything.

I did not notice her clothing being tight or sexy, I barely noticed it at all.

What about Biden and his vanity, are those hair plugs? His eyes are pulled so tight, I wonder who his surgeon is. When he gets emotional and teary, it is "well justified", after all look what he went through, blah blah.

The both made plenty of mistakes on the facts and so does every politician (I believe this is on purpose most of the time), and Biden must have been given drugs for him to keep his cool and not perform his usual kookie antics.
Posted by: robfilms
Date: October 03, 2008 07:05PM
swampy
The Democrats and some Republicans blocked it because it would "hurt the minorities" who were getting the bulk of the sub-prime loans in fear of losing that segment of the voters. Then there were the Congresscritters that were making big bucks off of the Fanny/Freddy CRA scam.

gee, swampy i guess u didn't get the memo-many think the mess was caused by republicans bowing to the wishes of big business and allowing reagun's-mantra of "de-regulation" to be the watchword of the land. now if mccain hadn't signed onto doing away with the 1934 glass-stengel act, perhaps the scenario would have been different.

be well

rob
Posted by: PeterB
Date: October 03, 2008 10:11PM
swampy
Peter B...

I don't see how using the words "diverse" or "diversity" plays any sort of victim card

Well you raised the subject and brought up 'people of color' being offended.

Non-sequitor. Your facts are in error.

grinning smiley

But seriously, I don't see your logic -- there's a difference between being offended and being a victim.

swampy
diverse....it was a very poor word choice-- that word has definite meanings to people of color

'People of color' tend to use perfectly acceptable words like diversity, articulate, lynching etc. as a racial card and play the victim of racial slurs. Lynching is a strong word, and may be offensive to a blacks, but there are parts of the county that use the word in reference to stringing wild game before field dressing it.

So, can you understand that if a black person overhears two hunters at the local 7-11 saying. "We lynched three of them suckers in an hour", would be offended, but the hunters have no idea they've committed some offense?

Whoa. Not even sure where to begin here... sure, you can always argue a word out of context. But I think most people would agree that the COMMON use of the word "lynching" is not a positive thing. Does that mean people should never use the word lynching? No. But they ought to be a bit careful about it... one would be wise to be careful about using this word outside of one's immediate group, if one is, as you say, a hunter. Obviously the lynching thing is a minor example, as is the "diverse" thing. It's just that in Palin's case, she was being broadcast on national TV-- that's quite something different. And she's not just some average person on the street, she's running for the second highest office in the land.

As for people of color using the race card and playing the victim of racial slurs... I'm guessing you've never been the recipient of such a slur, and so you may have less-than-full understanding of the impact of such slurs. Sure, it's possible people can play the race card-- I've seen it-- but I'm also aware that most of the time, the slur is real.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: October 03, 2008 11:20PM
swampy
There were enough gaffs on both sides, but I see from this thread that there's only talk of Palin's. Let's list a few of Biden's

From Factcheck [www.factcheck.org]

Biden incorrectly said “John McCain voted the exact same way” as Obama on a controversial troop funding bill. The two were actually on opposite sides.

Biden wrongly claimed that McCain “voted the exact same way” as Obama on the budget bill that contained an increase on singles making as little as $42,000 a year. McCain voted against it. Biden was referring to an amendment that didn't address taxes at that income level.

Biden wrongly claimed that McCain had said "he wouldn't even sit down" with the president of Spain. Actually, McCain didn't reject a meeting, but simply refused to commit himself one way or the other during an interview.

Biden claimed that McCain said in a magazine article that he wanted to deregulate the health care industry as the banking industry had been. That’s taking McCain’s words out of context. As we’ve said before, he was talking specifically about his proposal to allow the sale of health insurance across state lines.

Biden said five times that McCain's tax plan would give oil companies a "$4 billion tax cut." As we’ve noted previously, McCain’s plan would cut the corporate tax rate from 35 percent to 25 percent — for ALL corporations, not just oil companies. Biden uses a Democratic think tank's estimate for what the rate change is worth to the five largest U.S. oil companies.

Biden said that Iraq had an "$80 billion surplus." The country was once projected to have as much as a $79 billion surplus, but no more. The Iraqis have $29 billion in the bank, and could have $47 billion to $59 billion by the end of the year, as we noted when Obama used the incorrect figure. A $21 billion supplemental spending bill, passed by the Iraqi legislature in August, knocked down the old projection.

Biden said four times that McCain had voted 20 times against funding alternative energy. However, in analyzing the Obama campaign's list of votes after the first presidential debate, we found the number was actually 11. In the other instances the Obama-Biden campaign cites, McCain voted not against alternative energy but against mandatory use of alternative energy, or he voted in favor of allowing exemptions from these mandates.

Amazing how you folks claim to be the fair ones in society but I see
you can only see one side and this proves it. Personally when I went to
factcheck the debate I thoroughly read both sides and pointed out all
items that needed correcting to my wife, both sides.

Grateful11

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2008 11:23PM by Grateful11.
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: October 03, 2008 11:53PM
Grateful11
Personally when I went to
factcheck the debate I thoroughly read both sides and pointed out all
items that needed correcting to my wife, both sides.

Well, you're obviously using the Microsoft Intertubes Explorer®, Reality-biased™ Edition.

I am not Ryan Seacrest, and I do not approve this message.
Posted by: davester
Date: October 04, 2008 12:47AM
Why the kid gloves for Palin? Most of you guys are being sexist in making excuses for her. If she was a guy there'd be no question...she doesn't belong in the VP candidate slot and makes Quayle look like a genius.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: October 04, 2008 01:00PM
Grateful... I didn't point out Palin's gaffs, but did state that she made enough of her own. That's why I gave the link, so you could go read them all for both sides.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 198
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020