advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
The Bailout is Unconstitutional - Paulsen overstepped his bounds.
Posted by: karsen
Date: December 04, 2008 07:52PM
I heard a segment with Judge Napolitano on Fox News while driving today. It was hard to pay attention with the kiddo singing in the backseat so I figured I'd look it up on Youtube and Fox when I got home. I couldn't find the exact video, this seems to be an older one with a similar theme but not the one I heard. The part I'm referencing starts at 2:44.
[www.youtube.com]

To paraphrase a little that I heard today:
- Regarding the Big Three, Judge Napolitano said it's illegal for the government to nationalize the Big Three, or to receive stock in exchange for money.

- Regarding the original bailout he said it's illegal for the government to give money to businesses the way they did. Money can only be given when it benefits all, not a select few. The government overstepped it's bounds by picking and choosing which companies were to survive (CitiGroup) and fail (Lehman.)

- And lastly, he said if the Big 3 accepts Federal funding and they go bankrupt that is fraud and they can be prosecuted.

Again, it's paraphrased and I may have misheard. If anyone knows of a link with this, or a transcript, I'd like to hear/read it again so I can clarify what he said and do some fact checking of my own. I'm not trying to debate over this, I'd just like to know more about it.

Thanks.

EDIT: Illegal=Unconstitutional

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2008 07:53PM by karsen.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The Bailout is Unconstitutional - Paulsen overstepped his bounds.
Posted by: davester
Date: December 04, 2008 08:36PM
So what part of the constitution is involved. Are you sure this isn't just corporate law?

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: NeverMind
Date: December 04, 2008 08:45PM
I stopped reading at Fox News.
Date: December 04, 2008 08:55PM
davester
So what part of the constitution is involved. Are you sure this isn't just corporate law?

Found this online regarding your question.
“It [The Constitution] only lets the government spend money for the general welfare. Which is defined as something everybody can use. A bridge, a hospital, a school, a roadway.” Napolitano says,“The government confiscated private property without compensating you. The Constitution prohibits that.”

Still looking for original video.

Posted by: Seacrest
Date: December 04, 2008 08:59PM
Stupid Paulsen.

Posted by: michaelb
Date: December 04, 2008 09:54PM
there is no chance this is true.
Date: December 04, 2008 11:09PM
Sorry Karsen, secondary sources don't do it for it for me. You need to refer to the constitution itself and what part of it is contradicted. If this were really true there'd be plenty of info about it on the web (which there apparently isn't). Otherwise I call BS on the Faux News right-wing propaganda site.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2008 11:10PM by davester.
Posted by: mikeylikesit
Date: December 05, 2008 02:25AM
Posted by: Dakota
Date: December 05, 2008 08:35AM
90% of what government does today is not in the constitution. Almost everything is being passed off as "general welfare". Defense, natural disasters, foreign service, national emergencies and currency are things where government has a unique role.
Date: December 05, 2008 06:31PM
davester
If this were really true there'd be plenty of info about it on the web (which there apparently isn't).

I wonder how many people felt like that when Galileo said the Earth moved around the sun. If it was true, all the scientists would be saying it! ;)

Date: December 11, 2008 02:02PM
Dakota, nobody here is talking about whether government activities are listed in the constitution. We're talking about whether a specific activity is UNconstitutional (i.e. is in defiance of the constitution).

Karsen, You are the one that made a provocative statement. Now you're mumbling about Galileo as some kind of excuse for not backing it up. "Weak" doesn't even begin to describe your response.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 87
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018