advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
And you are so afraid of Obama
Posted by: NeverMind
Date: December 05, 2008 11:09AM
The nut cases that supported Bush all these years. Congratulations.

November: Most jobs lost in 34 years

[money.cnn.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: And you are so afraid of Obama
Posted by: mattkime
Date: December 05, 2008 11:14AM
Is it
a) Clinton's Fault
b) Obama's Fault

Posted by: billb
Date: December 05, 2008 11:21AM
Who do you blame for the previous 7 years and 10 months of higher employment on ?
Posted by: kj
Date: December 05, 2008 11:32AM
I'm kind of sick of blaming politicians for everything. As a country, we don't work hard enough, and we spend too dam much. It's our fault we're sucking schist. kj.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: December 05, 2008 11:51AM
So, the business cycle happens again.

Historic US Unemployment Rates

[data.bls.gov]

Wake me up if we get past 8% - then I'll be worried, otherwise been there, done that.
Every time there's a downturn of any sort, the doomsayers come out, thinking it's the end of the world. I well remember the rhetoric Bill Clinton used when he was first elected, something to the effect that we were in "the worst economy since the Great Depression". The early 1990s turned out to be a very mild, fairly shortlived recession. Now we're hearing the same kind of rhetoric all over again. At some point, you learn to tune out the boy who keeps crying wolf.
Posted by: rgG
Date: December 05, 2008 12:05PM
This mess was caused by greed, from the borrowers/consumers and the lenders. It was exacerbated by lack of oversight by the government, both parties, and keeping interest rates artificially low for too long. We are now paying the price for these mistakes.

I think this recession will deepen and that unemployment may indeed reach into or near double digits. I hope that it doesn't and that things improve more quickly, but this is a worldwide problem, and the whole world, or at least the developed countries, were living well beyond their means for quite a long time. The party has come to a crashing halt and now we are all suffering one hell of a hang over, even those of us who didn't take one little drink from the trough.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: MacGurl
Date: December 05, 2008 12:14PM
Yeah - it's been a "community effort" of a global scale to bring this all on. Thank goodness one man can't make this all happen himself - that would be a scary specter indeed.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 05, 2008 12:59PM
SDGuy
Wake me up if we get past 8% - then I'll be worried, otherwise been there, done that.

Set your alarm clock for six months.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Black Landlord
Date: December 05, 2008 04:59PM
SDGuy
So, the business cycle happens again.

Historic US Unemployment Rates

[data.bls.gov]

Every time there's a downturn of any sort, the doomsayers come out, thinking it's the end of the world. I well remember the rhetoric Bill Clinton used when he was first elected, something to the effect that we were in "the worst economy since the Great Depression". The early 1990s turned out to be a very mild, fairly shortlived recession. Now we're hearing the same kind of rhetoric all over again. At some point, you learn to tune out the boy who keeps crying wolf.

And yet, in my informal poll of patients who are old enough to remember the great depression and together enough to carry a conversation, 100% still answer "yes" to whether we're heading back into a similar time.

[www.papanicholas.com] coffee smiley
Date: December 05, 2008 06:01PM
>>And yet, in my informal poll of patients who are old enough to remember the great depression and together enough to carry a conversation, 100% still answer "yes" to whether we're heading back into a similar time.

Thats just nostalgia.

Also, they want an excuse to show off their ninja level hoarding skillz.

Posted by: swampy
Date: December 05, 2008 06:55PM
Maybe there will be an up side to all this. Things like:

Learning to live within our means

Not trying to keep up with the Jones

Dinner around the kitchen table isn't so bad. (Mom really can cook when she has to)

Parents learn how to say no to their kids every desire.

Kids learn that money doesn't grow on trees.

There's nothing wrong with renting until you can afford to buy a house.

It's not necessary to have the latest and greatest.

There's no disgrace in getting a pair of shoes resoled.

Feel free to add to the list.

If you don't stand for something, you'll probably fall for anything.t

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2008 06:55PM by swampy.
Date: December 05, 2008 07:02PM
careful swampy, that kind of talk is likely to spark riots!

Posted by: SDGuy
Date: December 05, 2008 07:07PM
swampy

Dinner around the kitchen table isn't so bad. (Mom really can cook when she has to)

I have to agree with all of that, with the possible exception of the last one. When I can get nice a brand new pair of shoes for $20 (on sale), it's not worth trying to retread them. No - I'm talking about sneakers. You just have to know where and when to shop. People who pay full price are suckers...
Date: December 05, 2008 07:09PM
I don't think I've ever had a pair of shoes where the soles wearing was the fatal flaw . . .

Posted by: Ammo
Date: December 05, 2008 07:11PM
swampy

Nice sentiment, but what about those who have been following these guidelines for years yet are still falling behind? People say the mess we're in is everyone's fault, but the truth is that many, many people never lived beyond their means in the first place.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: December 05, 2008 07:11PM
and why is it that Mom is the one who has to cook...

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: December 05, 2008 07:14PM
Ammo
swampy

Nice sentiment, but what about those who have been following these guidelines for years yet are still falling behind? People say the mess we're in is everyone's fault, but the truth is that many, many people never lived beyond their means in the first place.

And those are probably the folks that keep voting the "trickle down" party in, or don't make the effort to make it to the polls to vote against it.

Posted by: karsen
Date: December 05, 2008 08:07PM
mattkime
>>And yet, in my informal poll of patients who are old enough to remember the great depression and together enough to carry a conversation, 100% still answer "yes" to whether we're heading back into a similar time.

Thats just nostalgia.

Also, they want an excuse to show off their ninja level hoarding skillz.

I remember when I used to really be in to nostalgia.

Date: December 05, 2008 08:41PM
SDGuy
swampy

I have to agree with all of that, with the possible exception of the last one. When I can get nice a brand new pair of shoes for $20 (on sale), it's not worth trying to retread them. No - I'm talking about sneakers. You just have to know where and when to shop. People who pay full price are suckers...

I'm not aware of too many people who live a modest lifestyle, so I have to say Swampy's idea that we've all become a little too comfortable seems pretty valid to me. Plus, if you're following the first thing on the list, you can't be falling behind. And, if things really get depressiony, the cheap sneakers aren't going to be so cheap. Although, like BL, I've never worn a pair of soles out before the upper wore out. kj.
Date: December 05, 2008 08:47PM
kj
SDGuy
swampy

What's funny is that all of the folks who are trying to save a dime on things like this consider their multi-line cell phone packages and their deluxe cable and broadband packages "must have" necessities.

I'm not aware of too many people who live a modest lifestyle, so I have to say Swampy's idea that we've all become a little too comfortable seems pretty valid to me. Plus, if you're following the first thing on the list, you can't be falling behind. And, if things really get depressiony, the cheap sneakers aren't going to be so cheap. Although, like BL, I've never worn a pair of soles out before the upper wore out. kj.

Date: December 05, 2008 08:48PM
Sorry, quoting error due to huge reply box text, never fixed in the forum "upgrade", now abandoned by the admin. Ain't changing it.

Date: December 06, 2008 12:38AM
Black Landlord
Sorry, quoting error due to huge reply box text, never fixed in the forum "upgrade", now abandoned by the admin. Ain't changing it.

I don't think people realize how much they spend on stuff like that. If they don't do much else, I guess it might be worth it for the entertainment, but I'm not so sure. At our local ski hill you could buy a season pass and equipment for what it costs to have digital cable, etc. for the same period of time. kj.
Date: December 06, 2008 12:54AM
>>At our local ski hill you could buy a season pass and equipment for what it costs to have digital cable, etc. for the same period of time. kj.

can you ski from your couch??
Date: December 06, 2008 02:23AM
mattkime
>>At our local ski hill you could buy a season pass and equipment for what it costs to have digital cable, etc. for the same period of time. kj.

can you ski from your couch??

I could try. kj.
Posted by: mikeylikesit
Date: December 06, 2008 02:32AM
You can with a Wii and it costs less than either.
Posted by: Silencio
Date: December 06, 2008 02:40AM
mikeylikesit
You can with a Wii and it costs less than either.

Technically, you have to stand on the Wii FIt board in order to ski. I think putting your feet on the Wii Fit board while sitting on the couch would throw off your center of balance such that it wouldn't work.

But I know I can snowboard from the couch if I fire up SSX3 on the PlayStation.
Date: December 06, 2008 08:45AM
C'mon folks. You're going to get this thread moved to the other side if you keep this up.

Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: December 06, 2008 10:54AM
"I'm not aware of too many people who live a modest lifestyle, so I have to say Swampy's idea that we've all become a little too comfortable seems pretty valid to me. Plus, if you're following the first thing on the list, you can't be falling behind. And, if things really get depressiony, the cheap sneakers aren't going to be so cheap. Although, like BL, I've never worn a pair of soles out before the upper wore out. kj."

You are cordially invited to come and see me living my modest lifestyle.

I am one of those people who deeply resents being tarred with the same brush as those who have spent irresponsibly. I have "lived" each of the items on swampy's list, including having shoes resoled many, many times. Plus, I am here to tell you that while I still live within my means, I sure as h3ll don't live as well as I did even a year ago, so I consider that falling behind.
Date: December 07, 2008 12:15AM
Swampy seems more interested in telling us what we should do with her values than what she does with them. I promise to not preach at you Swampy if you can restrain yourself from preaching at me.
Date: December 07, 2008 01:54AM
AlphaDog
"I'm not aware of too many people who live a modest lifestyle, so I have to say Swampy's idea that we've all become a little too comfortable seems pretty valid to me. Plus, if you're following the first thing on the list, you can't be falling behind. And, if things really get depressiony, the cheap sneakers aren't going to be so cheap. Although, like BL, I've never worn a pair of soles out before the upper wore out. kj."

You are cordially invited to come and see me living my modest lifestyle.

I am one of those people who deeply resents being tarred with the same brush as those who have spent irresponsibly. I have "lived" each of the items on swampy's list, including having shoes resoled many, many times. Plus, I am here to tell you that while I still live within my means, I sure as h3ll don't live as well as I did even a year ago, so I consider that falling behind.

That's awesome AD, but I'll add you to the few people I know who live a modest lifestyle, and I'm still not aware of too many. Expectations for material acquisition have changed an awful lot in my lifetime, and I bet even more for you. I still agree with Swampy that it might be good for most of us to reign it in a bit. kj.
Posted by: swampy
Date: December 07, 2008 01:56PM
mikeylikesit
Swampy seems more interested in telling us what we should do with her values than what she does with them. I promise to not preach at you Swampy if you can restrain yourself from preaching at me.

Well in one thread I'm accuses of preaching and in another not preaching (posing solutions). Make up your mind.

You seem more interested in vilifying my every post, Mikey. Perhaps you have some kind of love-hate thing going on?

If you don't stand for something, you'll probably fall for anything.t
Posted by: Mac-A-Matic
Date: December 10, 2008 11:43PM
Wait a minute -

Last I recall, the democrats have held control over Congress these past two years.

Prior to democratic control of Congress, we were a high flying nation with a robust, expanding economy. Democrats take over and the whole system crashes? Now with a democrat as president the whole nation is going into the toilet?

Coincidence?
Date: December 11, 2008 02:06AM
Not even the kool-aide drinking right wing thinks that true. There is no control factor with a one vote majority and a President from the other party in charge. Interesting how you find it easy to overlook the GOP control of Congress for the previous 14-years when the seeds that led to this present disaster were sown.

edit: to rid myself of a surfeit of pixels.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2008 02:11AM by mikeylikesit.
Posted by: Mac-A-Matic
Date: December 11, 2008 08:52PM
Mikey-

Obviously, you choose to ignore the twenty years prior to 1994 when democrats controlled the government and were ousted by the American public because they too were sick and tired of the same thing.

And prior to that, in 1974 the republicans were ousted as well.

One thing that's true about American Politics is that no matter the party, they're screwing the people.
Date: December 12, 2008 03:47AM
You made a stupid statement and now you want to qualify it - go for it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 85
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018