advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
My Declining Standard of Living
Posted by: Ammo
Date: December 05, 2008 06:17PM
So I go to Costco today to pick up some essentials: coffee, dishwasher detergent, some batteries, fish oil pills (OK, not so essential), breakfast cereal and a couple of other smaller items. I walked out of the store nearly $75 lighter, a pretty good chunk of what I make in a day. This is getting depressing: regular stuff like this has gotten more and more expensive while my wages have remained the same.

I know I shouldn't complain because my wife and I have jobs, but it seems like it won't be too long before we will be living from paycheck to paycheck. I have always been a saver, so this is upsetting to me.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: My Declining Standard of Living
Posted by: Doc
Date: December 05, 2008 06:27PM
That's cheap for Costco and you undoubtedly got club-sizes.

I just spent $130 on 4 small bags of groceries. Admittedly, a lot of it was extraordinary and the selection was coincidentally stacked towards expensive items -- for example, a $14 jug of maple syrup and a $9 bottle of honey, each of which is at most an infrequent purchase -- but it's a bit depressing to be able to carry $130 of groceries in bags dangling from one fist without exerting myself.

I remember when my mom would bring home more than a dozen paper bags stuffed to the top from the supermarket -- food for 5 for two weeks -- for half that money.
Posted by: Black Landlord
Date: December 05, 2008 07:07PM
I shop at the cheap cheap ghetto supermarket; "as much as I can carry on my handlebars" has increased from about $30 to almost $60 in the past year. Fortunately I'm doing fine job and income-wise, if I don't think about the 100+k in equity I've lost over the past year and a half.
If I had the expense of a car I'd barely be breaking even each month, and definitely wouldn't be able to save anything.

[www.papanicholas.com] coffee smiley
Posted by: vision63
Date: December 05, 2008 07:36PM
You gotta shop. Produce at the Berkeley Bowl, cheapest around, The Grocery Outlet, Big Lots. We have a fantastic Chinatown with really cheap produce and seafood and great Mexican markets with great prices.
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: December 05, 2008 07:55PM
But, on the bright side, when I bought gas today (first time since Oct 16 when it was $2.959), the price was down to $1.619, and then I get 3% cash back. I might be able to afford to buy groceries this month! At least something is going down besides my buying power. My standard of living has declined so much in the last year that the county I live in now considers me low income. That's not exactly something I spent my life working toward. sad smiley
Posted by: JoeH
Date: December 05, 2008 07:58PM
vision63
You gotta shop. Produce at the Berkeley Bowl, cheapest around, The Grocery Outlet, Big Lots. We have a fantastic Chinatown with really cheap produce and seafood and great Mexican markets with great prices.

Nice, if you have the option. I live in a town of about 17,000. There are two chain supermarkets, and a local market. Also a BJ's. Only that much choice because they also draw from the smaller towns around here as well. Closest large city is an hour plus drive each way, nearest Chinatown is in Boston, about 100 miles away. So, so produce and not so good choice of other fresh groceries among the available items in store. Two paper bags of fill-in items like bread and sandwich makings this evening was almost $40, and the bags were not full. Used to get at least four full bags for that.

Posted by: freeradical
Date: December 05, 2008 08:23PM
JoeH
vision63

Nice, if you have the option. I live in a town of about 17,000. There are two chain supermarkets, and a local market. Also a BJ's. Only that much choice because they also draw from the smaller towns around here as well. Closest large city is an hour plus drive each way, nearest Chinatown is in Boston, about 100 miles away. So, so produce and not so good choice of other fresh groceries among the available items in store. Two paper bags of fill-in items like bread and sandwich makings this evening was almost $40, and the bags were not full. Used to get at least four full bags for that.

You can always choose the store brand instead of the name brands. Why are Americans so adamant about buying name brand products?

Oh - I can remember when postage stamps cost 5 cents...
Posted by: Dakota
Date: December 05, 2008 08:26PM
Here is one way to save on groceries. Stay home! I can't remember how many times we couldn't name one thing we needed but walked out of grocery stores $50 lighter. Costco is another story. Once day I skipped buying coffee at the grocery store so I could save $3 at Costco. Walked out of Costco with $130 in the cart.

ps

I have been buying 2 liter soda for $1 for 25 years, mostly at ACME.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2008 08:28PM by Dakota.
Date: December 05, 2008 08:42PM
Dakota
Here is one way to save on groceries. Stay home! I can't remember how many times we couldn't name one thing we needed but walked out of grocery stores $50 lighter. Costco is another story. Once day I skipped buying coffee at the grocery store so I could save $3 at Costco. Walked out of Costco with $130 in the cart.

ps

I have few people in my circle of friends who keep pop in the house any more. Do you consider it a necessity?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2008 08:43PM by Black Landlord.
Date: December 05, 2008 08:44PM
JoeH
Also a BJ's.
I think I know where all your money is going.

Posted by: mattkime
Date: December 05, 2008 08:44PM
>>I have few people in my circle of friends who keep pop in the house any more. Do you consider it a necessity?

how long have you lived in new york?
Date: December 05, 2008 08:45PM
mattkime
>>I have few people in my circle of friends who keep pop in the house any more. Do you consider it a necessity?

I thought you guys say "soda" in NY and a "pop" is an ice cream bar?

Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: December 05, 2008 09:05PM
I always thought "pop" was a Midwest-Prairie States kind of thing.

I think that what went up when the fuel prices went to $4-something a gallon never came down. I have been buying frozen vegetables because the fresh are so expensive.
Date: December 05, 2008 09:19PM
Gutenberg
I always thought "pop" was a Midwest-Prairie States kind of thing.

I think that what went up when the fuel prices went to $4-something a gallon never came down. I have been buying frozen vegetables because the fresh are so expensive.

Giant used to have three carts filled to the rim for price comparisons with other stores. They have kept the same price tag on them but they are now 1/3 empty!
Date: December 05, 2008 09:25PM
ah, i was thinking more along the lines of "i'm getting by pretty well because i don't need a car" and "my friends don't drink soda"

face it, you're a liberal elitist!

Black Landlord
mattkime

Date: December 05, 2008 09:26PM
Black Landlord
Dakota

ps

I have few people in my circle of friends who keep pop in the house any more. Do you consider it a necessity?

Well, yeah! What else do you drink with your food that you don't tire of? In eastern PA we say soda. In central and western PA it is pop.
Date: December 05, 2008 09:28PM
mattkime
ah, i was thinking more along the lines of "i'm getting by pretty well because i don't need a car" and "my friends don't drink soda"

face it, you're a liberal elitist!

Black Landlord
mattkime

New urbanist. Pop probably doesn't make the cut at least in part because it's not necessary enough to justify the added weight in non-motorized transport.

Date: December 05, 2008 09:33PM
Aren't those the white people buying condos in harlem?
Black Landlord
New urbanist.

Date: December 05, 2008 09:39PM
Black Landlord
JoeH
Also a BJ's.
I think I know where all your money is going.

I wish it was that kind of BJ, not just the Warehouse. mad2 smiley

freeradical

You can always choose the store brand instead of the name brands. Why are Americans so adamant about buying name brand products?

Too late, already mostly getting the store brand when it is okay. But for instance the store brand of peanut butter starting coming in worse and worse in quality, so I ended up not buying it any longer. Final straw was a container I took home and opened to find 1/3 full of oil instead of peanut butter.

Posted by: DevoBill
Date: December 05, 2008 10:10PM
I know what your saying I could only buy four guns this year.

I want ambiguity, or possibly something else.
Date: December 05, 2008 11:09PM
Well you gotta do your coupons. Amazon does groceries now, I wonder if that's any cheaper?
Posted by: decocritter
Date: December 06, 2008 12:12AM
Gas prices were the excuse for the huge jump in grocery prices, but since gas has fallen groceries have not...they are taking advantage of the situation.
Posted by: kj
Date: December 06, 2008 12:32AM
I've been selling things to buy anything unnecessary. That ain't gonna last long, although I have accumulated quite a bit. It hurts to sell things for a third to a half of what I paid though. I made a pledge to myself to be more generous, even though things are getting tougher. We have a large number of "Karen" refugees at our church that have inspired me. Helping them out makes me feel better than buying more stuff. kj.
Posted by: billb
Date: December 06, 2008 08:13AM
I went "minimal" about ten years ago for no other reason than my retirement fund wasn't anywhere near where I was realizing it now needed to be.

Not noodles and water minimal, but more careful shopping. Buying things on sale and storing.
I rarely stop at the big box stores any more and I've cut my grocery bill by 1/3 at least.

I picked up a liquor store ad last night and was shocked at what 1.75l bottles of booze prices were. At first I thought they were keg and gallon prices. It's been a while since I bought a bottle of hard stuff.
Posted by: kap
Date: December 06, 2008 08:14AM
DevoBill

I could only afford 4 laptops every 6 months!

SoCal for now.
Date: December 06, 2008 08:41AM
mattkime
Black Landlord
New urbanist.

They should put you in charge of telling people where they can and can't live based on their skin color. If you can fit it into your hectic schedule.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2008 08:41AM by Black Landlord.
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: December 06, 2008 09:42AM
Black Landlord
mattkime
Black Landlord
New urbanist.

They should put you in charge of telling people where they can and can't live based on their skin color. If you can fit it into your hectic schedule.
Darn it BL!!
You know that MK's docket is filled with @#$%& rallies, and NeoNazi "Meet & Greets"!!
He is just busy, busy, busy!!

BGnR

"Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto! You're beautiful!"
"If we dig precious things from the land, we will invite disaster."
"Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky."
"A container of ashes might one day be thrown from the sky, which could burn the land and boil the oceans."
Posted by: Robert M
Date: December 06, 2008 10:30AM
Deco,

Gas was just one small part of the reason groceries (and everything else for that matter!) has increased in price. The cost to produce packaging, advertising, storage, everything. I'm amazed I can even afford to buy groceries these days.

That said, store brands, coupons, buying in larger sizes (when it's feasable), making one large trip and getting stuff in one place versus going to several places for goods, shopping with a friend and buying a large size of stuff to share, you name it. Lots of ways to save. My parents, girlfriend and I buy in bulk and share all the time. Well worth it!

And, yes, the store you patronize matters. The prices for goods changes from store to store and one some places charge higher prices for the same stuff. I know people who positively hate Walmart but shop there because the difference in prices for the identical goods are that significant.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2008 10:31AM by Robert M.
Date: December 06, 2008 10:33AM
kap
DevoBill

I could only afford 4 laptops every 6 months!

Wow do they hold there value?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2008 10:45AM by DevoBill.
Date: December 06, 2008 01:56PM
decocritter
Gas prices were the excuse for the huge jump in grocery prices, but since gas has fallen groceries have not...they are taking advantage of the situation.

Have any of these groceries been farmed or packaged with these current lower gas and diesel prices ?

Gas and diesel were <<1>> oof the reasons for increased food prices.
Ethanol utilization of corn was another.
Posted by: swampy
Date: December 06, 2008 03:25PM
You have a point, BillB. Even though gas is down, farmers, truckers, processing plants etc. all need time to recoup and try to recover some of their losses.

If you don't stand for something, you'll probably fall for anything.t
Posted by: decocritter
Date: December 06, 2008 05:01PM
In Atlanta, when gasoline shot up, grocery stores prices shot up at at exactly the same time, and those were produced and shipped before gas prices went up.

There was a CNN report on this and there was a "pricing term" used that basically meant, "taking advantage of the market".

When Atlanta had that month or so of high gas prices and low supply, the stores really increased prices immediately. Things that were $1.00 increased to $1.49 and $1.69.

I shop sales, coupons...I try to stay stocked up on necessities so I can wait and buy it on sale.

At Kroger, I shop from the flyer, and the 10 for $10 is usually a good sale for me.

At Publix, their weekly specials usually include a meat and a few items for the week.

I hate Walmart, but they have about 20 things that are significantly cheaper there, but most of their prices are the same or can be higher than Kroger/Publix sale prices.

I buy a handfull of things at Trader Joes about once a month, as a treat. I like some of their soups, canned goods, and a few frozen items.

I don't buy soda, but drink tea and coffee, as well as juices.

I find coupons have been lacking lately for things I actually use, except on occasion food wraps and paper goods.

CVS and Rite Aid tend to have good sales on those types of items, but often grocery store brands can compete.

I rarely eat out and have started cooking a lot more and freezing.
Date: December 06, 2008 06:04PM
billb

That is a myth.
The ethanol residue is feed and is used in place of corn that would have been fed anyway.

Date: December 06, 2008 06:40PM
DevoBill
billb

That is a myth.
The ethanol residue is feed and is used in place of corn that would have been fed anyway.

Not entirely true. Some residue after ethanol production was able to be used and was sold to be used as feed, but only a fraction of what it would have been used directly as feed. Two, the demand for feed corn to be used for ethanol production caused some displacement of other food crops such as barley, wheat and others raising food prices dependent on them. Not entirely responsible, but a contributing cause. Also not as responsible as some would make it out to be, but to be called a myth, that is too simplistic an answer.

Date: December 06, 2008 09:24PM
That fraction is half.

Date: December 06, 2008 10:21PM
DevoBill
That fraction is half.

You got a source for that? Or is it made up on the spot like most internet statistics?

Even at half, that removes a lot of feed from the market to feed cattle and other livestock.

Posted by: mikeylikesit
Date: December 07, 2008 12:25AM
Not to pick on you Robert but ...

Robert M
Deco,

Gas was just one small part of the reason groceries (and everything else for that matter!) has increased in price. The cost to produce packaging, advertising, storage, everything. I'm amazed I can even afford to buy groceries these days.

That said, store brands, coupons, buying in larger sizes (when it's feasable), making one large trip and getting stuff in one place versus going to several places for goods, shopping with a friend and buying a large size of stuff to share, you name it. Lots of ways to save. My parents, girlfriend and I buy in bulk and share all the time. Well worth it!

And, yes, the store you patronize matters. The prices for goods changes from store to store and one some places charge higher prices for the same stuff. I know people who positively hate Walmart but shop there because the difference in prices for the identical goods are that significant.

Robert

I was in a Trader Joes tonight and the basics were less costly than they were at the local chain store. Butter, eggs, bread and milk were less without the stupid club thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2008 12:30AM by mikeylikesit.
Date: December 07, 2008 02:48AM
mikeylikesit
Not to pick on you Robert but ...

Robert M
Deco,

Robert

I was in a Trader Joes tonight and the basics were less costly than they were at the local chain store. Butter, eggs, bread and milk were less without the stupid club thing.

I hate supporting corporate chains but would make an exception for a TJ's in my part of town.

Posted by: mikeylikesit
Date: December 07, 2008 05:50AM
There are five (count them - 5) Trader Joes within bicycle distance of my place. I don't own a bicycle, Danny does but he thinks TJs is just another grocer that = chore.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: December 07, 2008 08:29AM
Trader Joe's is not near me but i'm up in that part of town today and will do my monthly run. they have the best price on a meal replacement bar my son's pediatrician recommended for him. i'll pick up some a high fiber cereal they carry, Tjs granola, bananas for the week (they have the best price in the area) and a few frozen things like little pizzas. but whereas before i'd buy 2, 3 or 4 boxes of those things per trip, today i'll probably stick to 2. i'll run out and do without those things by the end of the month.

TJs has better prices for butter, eggs, milk than Walmart HOWEVER, for those things the price at Aldi (which owns Trader Joe's) is even better. Aldi is in my neighborhood so i get there once a week.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: December 07, 2008 10:06AM
mikeylikesit
There are five (count them - 5) Trader Joes within bicycle distance of my place. I don't own a bicycle, Danny does but he thinks TJs is just another grocer that = chore.

Didn't Trader Joe's start with a convenience store in a largely mexican neighborhodd out by you somewhere?
Or am I jumbling that somehow . . .

Date: December 07, 2008 11:15AM
JoeH
DevoBill
That fraction is half.

You got a source for that? Or is it made up on the spot like most internet statistics?

Even at half, that removes a lot of feed from the market to feed cattle and other livestock.

What kind of link? A price list of feed?

It's a myth, because only half the resource by weight is used for the production of ethanol. The co-product or residue feed is one quarter the cost of feed corn or in some cases less. But for instance Dakota Bran Cake contains one hundred per cent of the energy value for one quarter the cost of corn. Dakota Bran Cake is one of the hundreds of by-product feeds that have better nutrition than feeding corn. The feeds that are dried down do add more cost to them but it's still such a better value than feeding corn. By using co-products the low quality varieties (high starch) can have their fat and protein levels increased by fermenting off half the starch. There by increasing the value of the feed. This is not rocket science, but it seems to never be reported correctly when you see ethanol blamed for the rising cost of food. I'm not in total support of ethanol because of the huge use of water during production. but that is something else.
Date: December 07, 2008 11:29AM
Yeah, I always buy my eggs and milk at Trader Joes because they're reasonably cheap. Like decocritter, I don't find Walmart to be all monumentally cheaper than what I can generally find elsewhere save for a handful of items (like my cat treats) that's always cheapest there. I think we shop in a similar fashion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2008 11:32AM by vision63.
Date: December 07, 2008 12:34PM
DevoBill
JoeH
DevoBill
That fraction is half.

What kind of link? A price list of feed?

It's a myth, because only half the resource by weight is used for the production of ethanol. The co-product or residue feed is one quarter the cost of feed corn or in some cases less. But for instance Dakota Bran Cake contains one hundred per cent of the energy value for one quarter the cost of corn. Dakota Bran Cake is one of the hundreds of by-product feeds that have better nutrition than feeding corn. The feeds that are dried down do add more cost to them but it's still such a better value than feeding corn. By using co-products the low quality varieties (high starch) can have their fat and protein levels increased by fermenting off half the starch. There by increasing the value of the feed. This is not rocket science, but it seems to never be reported correctly when you see ethanol blamed for the rising cost of food. I'm not in total support of ethanol because of the huge use of water during production. but that is something else.

No, how about a figure that supports your supposition that half the corn used did end up back in the feed chain as feed cake or whatever. That does not match up with other reports that the amount that actually made it into feed supplements was closer to a quarter, perhaps even lower. Mostly because drying, post processing and transportation was more expensive than what they would get for it because the huge increase in its supply as a waste product from fermentation depressed the market price. In any case, a major fraction of the corn crop went to ethanol production. It raised the price of corn due to the demand, also reduced crop acreage of other feed crops when more corn was planted instead, raising their prices too. There were farmers and feed lot operations who could not get as much feed as they normally could, so they raised fewer animals also raising prices. Also reduced the amount of corn available for HFCS production. Like I said, it was not the only cause but a contributor; its effect fans out through the agricultural markets adding a few cents here and there to prices.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2008 12:39PM by JoeH.
Date: December 07, 2008 03:36PM
Joe,

What state are you in?

I'm in South west MN. We have nearly forty Ethanol plants with in a hundred miles. There is huge surplus of residue co-product feed, it's going to beef, dairy, hog confinements, poultry. Still there is a surplus. We have local farmers contract to the ethanol plant with corn and part of the contract is hauling residue back to their cattle. They make out better than cutting silage, or hauling to the elevator.

Date: December 07, 2008 04:01PM
I live in W. MA. However, I have relatives farming in Missouri, Wisconsin and Michigan still. You may have a local surplus of the feed residue, but it is being taken care of by requiring the farmers to take it back as feed. You probably do not see much of it shipped more than a couple hundred miles, if that far, the transportation costs and/or the drying to reduce the weight tip the price figures to not being economical. Your local farmers may be doing better than the alternative, but that will only be local to plants. It certainly is not making it to this area much if at all. So, if there is enough places to use it local to a plant, the residue gets used up as feed. But that does not apply to everywhere. Other places have air dried and then burned it as a fuel for the distallation process to use it up, but that is not as feed.

Posted by: Robert M
Date: December 07, 2008 04:48PM
Mikey,

I love Trader Joes. I've been going to them for more than twenty years. It is by far one of my favorite stores. Nonetheless, Trader Joes is a speciality store. A place like Walmart does in fact have better prices on a slew of goods, many that you can't get at a specialty store like Trader Joes.

And, yes, TJs did start as a chain of store similar to 7-Eleven. If I remember correctly, they decided that competing with the 7-Elevens of the world was a losing battle. I'm glad they decided to transform themselves into a the TJs we all know and love. I just wish there was one within a short distance of my house.

Robert
Date: December 07, 2008 11:48PM
vision63
Like decocritter, I don't find Walmart to be all monumentally cheaper than what I can generally find elsewhere save for a handful of items (like my cat treats) that's always cheapest there.

I've heard the old cliché of "eating dog food" when times get hard and money gets tight, but this is the first reference I've seen to cat treats.
Is there something about them nutritionally, or cost-wise, that makes them a particularly good staple?

Date: December 08, 2008 07:34AM
DevoBill
billb

That is a myth.

Huh ?
use of corn for ethanol didn't drive feed prices up ?
even if the <<up>> was just speculation ?

Milk is down 20 cents a gallon here.
Dunno if that is a retreat due to milk production costs or just stores in a price war.
Date: December 09, 2008 03:08PM
Black Landlord
vision63
Like decocritter, I don't find Walmart to be all monumentally cheaper than what I can generally find elsewhere save for a handful of items (like my cat treats) that's always cheapest there.

I've heard the old cliché of "eating dog food" when times get hard and money gets tight, but this is the first reference I've seen to cat treats.
Is there something about them nutritionally, or cost-wise, that makes them a particularly good staple?

Dey be tasty!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 201
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018