advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Migrant Workers at the DMV- taken advantage of or tough cookies ?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 27, 2006 09:58PM
While waiting in line at the DMV with my teenager, I noted how the staff handled the large number of migrant workers who were there for their non-resident driver's license/ID forms. (Oddly enough, our area of North East Ohio has a large number of commercial nurseries and landscaping businesses, and the town near us is almost 40% Mexican citizens at this time.

Apparently Ohio law allows them to get Ohio licenses if they show their passport, visa, letter from employer, and social security card (Yes, they pay taxes in the US while they work here). So the staff was chattering at these people, in English only. Many of these people had no idea what the staff was saying, it was kind of embarassing. The DMV staff was nice about it, though, but none of them spoke any Spanish.

At one point a couple came up to the counter and the staffer asked them if they wanted to make a $1 donation to some Ohio state fund or the other. They looked at each other, and the staffer waited for them to answer. They felt that they had to agree to it to continue.

I felt that they were taken advantage of, but didn't say anything.

What do you think ? Wrong, or just tough cookies- learn the language...
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Migrant Workers at the DMV- taken advantage of or tough cookies ?
Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: March 27, 2006 10:00PM
$1 ? who cares?

That's like ONE wendy's jr. cheeseburger.

Posted by: Refurbvirgin
Date: March 28, 2006 12:33AM
Judging from the way the 2004 election was conducted in Ohio it was probably a campaign contribution to Blackwell's PAC.
Posted by: Pops
Date: March 28, 2006 04:58AM
1. It's still an English speaking country. I don't think state tax dollars ought be expended to recruit Spanish speaking employees. If they are bilingual when they apply and pass whatever civil service exam Ohio has, fine, but I don't think bi-lingual candidates ought be put ahead of other candidates solely for that reason.

2. If the DMV employees were intimidating the migrants or not making any effort to explain that the $1 was not required, they should be reported to their superior. That would be a clear ethics violation.
Posted by: Furiously Stylish
Date: March 28, 2006 09:24AM
Kalifornia, Pops, is officially an English-speaking Republik because of people like you.

Fortunately, we're an English-speaking nation by practice and custom, not by fiat from people terrified of an unfamiliar future full of scary, brown faces.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2006 09:24AM by Furiously Stylish.
Date: March 28, 2006 10:02AM
If the state is going to license drivers then they should have at least basic language skills to understand road signs and traffice advisories. I wouldn't go to Mexico and expect to apply for and receive a license without speaking Spanish.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 28, 2006 10:55AM
YO Reefer- beat up on your own state. Blackwell gets a lot of good rep from Ohio residents for sticking to the Ohio LAW during the election, and not caving like the weenies in Fl did.

We're pissed because jerkazoids are using and abusing our election laws and 'requiring' that Ohio provide repeated copies of election data back to the 1800's. This argument over 'who was elected' has cost Ohio taxpayers millions, fighting morons who do NOT live here.
Date: March 29, 2006 08:18AM
Ken Blackwell Has Some Explaining to Do
[www.counterpunch.org]

GOP Hypocrite of the Week: Ken Blackwell
[www.buzzflash.com]

Ohio Secretary of State Blocks New Voter Registrations
[www.truthout.org]

Blackwell refuses to testify under oath about how election was run
[www.freepress.org]

Strange and suspicious behavior regarding the election and recounts from Ohio Secretary of State Ken Blackwell
[www.elitestv.com]

Enter, Mr. Blackwell: Was He Bush's Trump Card In Ohio?
[www.prisonplanet.com]

Elected officials are supposed to represent all the people. As co-chair of Bush's campaign in Ohio Blackwell was hardly the honest broker one would expect the top election official to be.
Posted by: liberal weenie
Date: March 30, 2006 08:49PM
Most do not speak any english and I dare say, they WILL NOT
learn the english language because they want a continued
spanish area extending from Mexico into American states.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 235
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018