advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Romney: "We don't want the mistake of Massachusetts to become the mistake of the rest of the country." (or words to that effect)
Posted by: PeterB
Date: March 30, 2006 11:18AM
[www.boston.com]
[www.thebostonchannel.com]

For those of you not in MA, you probably wouldn't have known this, but he is fairly well despised here, as the worst kind of sleaze... he is such an embarrassment to our state.

I couldn't believe he just made this comment. It's one thing to say that you don't agree with same sex marriage, but to say that the SJC ruling in 2003 was a "mistake" that you don't want to see spread to other states was a direct slap in the face to both the SJC (I guess he's so qualified to overrule a panel of state court judges) and the residents of the state-- who according to polls, favor same sex marriage, as a majority.

Romney is a real piece of work. Let's hope that he does not win in 2008.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2006 11:38AM by PeterB.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Romney: "We don't want the mistake of Massachusetts to become the mistake of the rest of the country." (or words to that effect)
Posted by: Michael
Date: March 30, 2006 01:19PM
How did he win in the first place? It was a surprise to me, although I don't follow state governor races. Was it an outgrowth of the Olympics somehow?

When you say you hope he doesn't win in 2008--governor or president (or neither!)?
Re: Romney: "We don't want the mistake of Massachusetts to become the mistake of the rest of the country." (or words to that effect)
Date: March 30, 2006 01:42PM
Michael, he won because, in general, the Republicans have held control of the Governorship since after Mike Dukakis. The exact circumstances surrounding it were iffy -- his major Republican rival, the then-Governor Jane Swift, bowed out of the race. He narrowly won over the Dem challenger Shannon O'Brien. There is also a minority in the state who want a Republican governor (somewhat as a counterbalance to the predominantly Democratic legislature). He certainly used the Olympics as a selling point, though it did strike people here as fishy that he suddenly came back here to run for Governor; and he's spent a lot of time lately preparing for the run for President (leaving people with the definite impression that he was just using the governorship as a stepping stone to the Presidency). He has stated publicly that he is not running again for Governor in 2008. He is a current favorite amongst the Republicans because he has "charisma", looks "presidential", and because of the religion issue. There's just one problem: he won't even win his own home state.

More info than you wanted to know here: [en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2006 01:48PM by PeterB.
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: March 30, 2006 03:24PM
At this point, the people ostensibly running for President in 2008 -- from BOTH parties -- make me want to move to Iceland.

And I hate the cold.
Date: March 30, 2006 03:37PM
Seacrest -- it's still the same problems. Anyone running has to either be a saint, with no dirt in their background to dig up (in which case people would manufacture something anyway; but we all know that there are no saints in real life) OR they have to be capable of covering up or otherwise reducing the impact of whatever dirt they have. This process therefore selects for a not particularly good class of people. Also factor in that each party controls who actually gets the nomination, and you have a mess.

Edit: Oh, and mark my words-- 2008 will be the DIRTIEST election in the history of the country. It will be extremely mean-spirited on both sides, beyond anything we've ever seen so far.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2006 03:38PM by PeterB.
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: March 30, 2006 04:45PM
PeterB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Edit: Oh, and mark my words-- 2008 will be the
> DIRTIEST election in the history of the country.
> It will be extremely mean-spirited on both sides,
> beyond anything we've ever seen so far.
>

Well, at least it'll be lotsa FUN!

Posted by: Effin Haole
Date: March 30, 2006 06:09PM
Seacrest Wrote:
> Well, at least it'll be lotsa FUN!
>

Until the inauguration and the reality of having the next Bozo running the country as his personal trust fund.
Posted by: Pops
Date: March 31, 2006 05:32AM
PeterB Wrote:

> For those of you not in MA, you probably wouldn't have known this, but he is fairly well despised
> here, as the worst kind of sleaze... he is such an embarrassment to our state.

Well, if you ever send him packing across the state line, please be sure he's as unelectable here in New York State as Bill Weld is.
Date: March 31, 2006 06:50AM
Pops, the irony is that at least Bill Weld, though I didn't agree with many of his positions, was relatively innocuous.

Romney really strikes you as a used car salesman (I would have said "snake oil salesman", except that I don't want to insult the snakes!)-- about as slick and sleazy as they come. Macchiavellian, disingenuous, and duplicitous, and not beyond outright lying if it would further his agenda.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2006 06:52AM by PeterB.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: April 02, 2006 06:21AM
PeterB Wrote:
> Pops, the irony is that at least Bill Weld, though
> I didn't agree with many of his positions, was
> relatively innocuous.
>
> Romney really strikes you as a used car salesman
> (I would have said "snake oil salesman", except
> that I don't want to insult the snakes!)-- about
> as slick and sleazy as they come. Macchiavellian,
> disingenuous, and duplicitous, and not beyond
> outright lying if it would further his agenda.
>
Bill Weld was so innocuous that he was blocked from an ambassadorship by Jesse Holmes & Co. He followed in the footsteps of a good number of Republican governors who have had to deal with Democrat houses. It tended to produce a balance, one that Massachusetts voters have seemed comfortable with going back at least to Frank Sargent.

Romney is the abberation. Not home grown but imported to win an election to an office he has little interest in and has already decided to abandon. He'll use it as a platform even though his interest in Massachusetts began and ended with the election. Its the only platform he'll likely ever have again

He'll be a sidelight in the next Presidential campaign and hopes only to be a VP nominee. Its his only shot for national office. If you think anything for this country, let his Republican opponents destroy him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2006 06:23AM by RgrF.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: April 04, 2006 08:01AM
PeterB Wrote:

> For those of you not in MA, you probably wouldn't
> have known this, but he is fairly well despised
> here, as the worst kind of sleaze... he is such an
> embarrassment to our state.

Au contraire, Governor Romney is much admired by some of us in this bluest of blue states. We only wish he weren't leaving the governorship.

The Supreme Judicial Court under Margaret Marshall is an aberration, an hyper-activist gang under a radical leftist. Even so, the homosexual-marriage ruling was only 4-3. There is now a movement for an amendment to the state Constitution to reverse this unwarranted and unconscionable exercise of judicial power.

/Mr Lynn

Posted by: RgrF
Date: April 07, 2006 02:17AM
Mr. Lynn found a new water cooler. Cool. Nice to meet up again.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: April 07, 2006 08:25AM
RgrF Wrote:
> Mr. Lynn found a new water cooler. Cool. Nice to
> meet up again.
>
>

Howdy, Roger. Likewise.

Unfortunately, time does not permit much dallying here (or at DealMac) these days. The temptation to get sucked into these discussions can only be resisted by staying away. . .
sorry to say.

/Mr Lynn
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 302
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018