advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Damage to U.S. military will take years to repair
Posted by: Refurbvirgin
Date: April 01, 2006 01:27AM
"A recent Rand Corp. study commissioned by the Pentagon of the U.S. Army in this time of war concluded that without an increase in manpower the Army ''simply cannot sustain the force levels needed to break the back of the insurgent movement'' in Iraq. "
[www.sltrib.com]

Meanwhile the Chinese are building their military. Dipwad Dubya is destroying our ability to respond to real threats by going after ones he's fabricated to enrich his buddies.
[www.aei.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2006 01:28AM by Refurbvirgin.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Damage to U.S. military will take years to repair
Posted by: Guitarman
Date: April 01, 2006 02:07PM
I don't get it. you're pro millitary yet anti millitary. Pro arab yet anti arab. The only consistant thing in you posts is your hatred of jews and the united states. Why don't you move to Syria?

Date: April 01, 2006 03:10PM
G'man,
I see the world in shades of gray, not black & white. If Muslims do something I don't like, I criticize them, unless I see their actions as reaction to a worse evil we've perpetrated. Same with Jews and Christians. I consider myself a patriot. I want what's best for my country, but I don't have blinders on to obscure my vision of the evil it does. In a republic where the people elect their representatives I have a responsibility to criticize them when their actions don't represent me. I admire Gandhi and MLK, Jr. and aspire to non-violence, but only on a personal level. If my fellow citizens are attacked, by either foreign or domestic forces, I act to defend them. For that reason I believe we need a strong military.

There are evil people in the world, corrupted by power just as our leaders have been. I oppose those governments attacking us as much as I oppose ours attacking people who have not attacked us. Unfortunately having a strong military provides the means for those with power to abuse it. This is why the importance of our military's sworn oath to defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic is so important. Sadly not many of our troops understand the greatest enemy of our freedom is here at home, not overseas. Something like 80% of our troops still believe Saddam had something to do with 9/11 or Al Qaeda, and so that justifies in their mind killing Iraqis in a wholesale fashion. God have mercy on Bush if the troops ever figure out they've been lied to war again.
Posted by: Pops
Date: April 01, 2006 04:26PM
Refurbvirgin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Something like 80% of our troops still believe Saddam had something to do with 9/11 or Al Qaeda,

I guess that's proof that basic training can break more than the body.
Date: April 01, 2006 05:31PM
I suppose that's true for some, but not all soldiers have their ability to critically think beaten out of them. Hugh Thompson and Stan Goff come to mind, as well as Smedley Butler and S. Brian Wilson. I have lots of soldiers that I respect. Amongst the current officer corps Gen. Shinseki and Anthony Zinni stand out as men of honor, the moreso next to Colon Bowel, and Tommy Franks. More are speaking out, even knowing that such will end their careers. One of the founders of Iraq Veterans Against the War gave me hope when he said the reason the Vietnam war ended was the troops just quit fighting. The officers had to bribe them to go into the field, and at that point the plutocracy realized they'd lost the war. If a means can be found to educate the troops more Kevin Bendermans may force peace to break out. Unfortunately with the vast technological superiority of America's military it may not be necessary for its crazed leaders to have bodies in the field to wage massive destructive war, such as we are planning on Venezuela and Iran. The neocons have their agenda and are sticking to it. Google "PNAC."
Posted by: RgrF
Date: April 02, 2006 05:39AM
Pops Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Refurbvirgin Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Something like 80% of our troops still
> believe Saddam had something to do with 9/11 or Al
> Qaeda,
>
> I guess that's proof that basic training can break
> more than the body.
>
That presumes there was anything to break. The kids don't know @#$%& from shinola and are prime for indoctrination.

Once indoctrinated, the ones who do continue to think for themselves become the exception and more than likely get the bums rush to the front or out the back door and fini.

Date: April 02, 2006 10:28AM
"SIR, YES SIR!" I read that the human brain isn't fully mature until age 25, and teens typically consider themselves invulnerable, hence the importance of getting 'em young.

We're doing a lot of recruiting in Latin & South America, promising citizenship in return for soldiering. Entire brigades are Spanish-speaking only. I wonder how the Shakemans will deal with new citizens with Purple Hearts but no English.
Posted by: Effin Haole
Date: April 02, 2006 09:05PM
Not to mention the large amounts of US nationals from our territories that are enlisting.

It's the only way for a lot of them to get a decent chance at a better life than what the islands can offer them.

Although in the last 9 months a lot of them are reconsidering due to the large numbers, percentage wise, of islanders that have been killed/maimed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2006 09:20PM by Effin Haole.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 117
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018