Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Court Fines NYC Transit Strikers $1M a Day
Posted by: Macaficionado
Date: December 20, 2005 07:41PM

[www.breitbart.com]

Associated Press, by LARRY McSHANE

NEW YORK - The city's subway and bus workers went on strike Tuesday for the first time in
more than 25 years, stranding millions of commuters, holiday shoppers and tourists at the
height of the Christmas rush. A judge promptly slapped the union with a $1 million-a-day
fine. [SNIP] Attorneys for the city and state had asked Jones to hit the union with a "very
potent fine" for defying the law.

I'm very glad NOT to be a New Yorker any longer. Even when I did live in the City, I
walked to work most times, but not in this kind of cold. To have no choice on days like this,
no thanks. I have no sympathy for the strikers. The PATCO response worked, didn't it?
Reagan had the guts to do it. Now if only Nanny Bloomberg would
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Court Fines NYC Transit Strikers $1M a Day
Posted by: incognegro
Date: December 20, 2005 09:57PM
imagine you're a transit worker, or any other worker, and you haven't gotten a raise in several years. would you want that, as costs continue to rise? i know i would.

i'm on the side of the strikers.

Posted by: Macaficionado
Date: December 20, 2005 10:20PM
The diversity brigade who in their stuck-on-stupid incompetence and ignorance make a daily
mess out of the NYC subway want to retire at 50?????? You have GOT to be kidding me
Posted by: RgrF
Date: December 20, 2005 11:23PM
My understanding is this. The City offered a sizable increase, added an extra paid holiday and even offered to lower the full benefit retirement age IF the union would accept a split contract (ala the California grocery strike).

A split contract means that new hires come in on vastly different terms than current employees. In this case they would pay about 4X the existing contribution for health benefits and not be eligible for many other benefits.

As its currentl used, this is union busting. The California Grocery Union eventually caved and accepted the split contract. The day after they came back to work Safeway (Von's) long time employees started getting fired en mass.

It's one thing for private industry to engage in union busting tactics but for government to do this borders on criminal conduct. You don't have to be a union member (I'm self employed) to see that offering an unacceptable contract to union members in a state where public utility strikes are against the law, isn't bargaining in good faith.
Posted by: Stavs
Date: December 21, 2005 07:18AM
incognegro Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> imagine you're a transit worker, or any other
> worker, and you haven't gotten a raise in several
> years. would you want that, as costs continue to
> rise? i know i would.
>
> i'm on the side of the strikers.
>
> __
> Reboot! Reboot! OK!

People in unions whine too much. In the real world, raises are based on performance, and not taken for granted. If they just do their job, why should they be guaranteed a raise? They have it so easy and they take advantage of it. They get all sorts of benefits that average joes who dont work in unions don't get. How would these transit workers feel if other people went on strike and hindered their lives daily? Money might be tight, but noiw they are affecting everyone else's wallet. Oh, and God forbid a unionite has to contribute to their own healthcare costs! They don't know how good they have it. They are being selfish and need to just get back to work.

Stavs

PS: I cant stand New York either, but I wont start on that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2005 07:32AM by Stavs.
Posted by: Guitarman
Date: December 21, 2005 09:28AM
The ONLY sticking point is that new workers would contribute 6% of their salary for their first 10 years of work to their own pension fund vs the current 2% now. THAT'S IT. Apparently this guy Tousaint is bent on having a strike. The international is against the strike and in fact told the workers to go back to work. Members of the union executive board weren't given a chance to read the contract in full before they voted to strike. If they had, they probably wouldn't have voted for the strike. These morons with barely a GED make $47 - 55k a year. Now in NYC that's not Donald Trump money but it's not bad. They retire with a full pension at 55. None of that is changed. I'm normally pro union but this is a maverick strike which is being done to just promote this guys chances to be re-elected union president next year.
Posted by: solution
Date: December 21, 2005 10:30PM
They need to get back to work. If you they don't like the job, get a different one. That's the set of rules most people have to live by. And to take money from retailers and others in NYC by crippling commuting in order to make a point removes any consideration I might otherwise have for them. Should be like Reagan's air traffic contollers--just fire them all. If they don't want the work, someone else will be happy to take their place, someone grateful for the benefits.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 269
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018