advertisement
Forums

 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
OT: I Hate New York
Posted by: Stavs
Date: December 21, 2005 09:28AM
I hate New York.

Had to say, had to be done. I get sick of hearing how reslilient they are and how they live in the greatest city in the world. There are way too many people there, its impossible to get through in a car, and I hate the fact that they can just shut streets down willy nilly because someone wants to have a parade, or a motorcade. New York soft pretzels suck compared to Philly soft pretzels. I do prefer New York style pizza over Chicago though, but I prefer to call it Neoploitan style pizza (its not true neoploitan, but thats what they call it in philly).

Just wanted to vent.

Stavs smiling smiley
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: I Hate New York
Posted by: Furiously Stylish
Date: December 21, 2005 09:46AM
A city is only as good or bad as its populace.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: I Hate New York
Posted by: mick e
Date: December 21, 2005 10:00AM
Why would be the point of driving a car there? Do you get upset that you can't drive a car through Venice too?





Unpaid Social Liaison
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: I Hate New York
Posted by: Stavs
Date: December 21, 2005 10:19AM
Yes, I would! Venice needs streets!

Stavs
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: I Hate New York
Posted by: JoeM
Date: December 21, 2005 10:21AM
Sounds like a bit of sour grapes to me. Why would anybody care so much as to post a rant about any city, especially when they don't live there?

>>I prefer to call it Neoploitan style pizza

You are obviously NOT Italian and I'm thinking you probably weren't even born in Philly. No self respecting New Yorker or Philly native would ever refer to a slice as "Neoploitan style pizza"



JoeM
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: I Hate New York
Posted by: Stavs
Date: December 21, 2005 10:35AM
I was born outisde of Philly...all the shops call it Neopolitan slices.

Its not that I cared to post, I was just bored and sharing my view...building traffic, etc. smiling smiley

Stavs
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: I Hate New York
Posted by: JoeM
Date: December 21, 2005 10:54AM
Just teasin' ya ;) Philly is a great city.

But you're NOT Italian, right?

>>..all the shops call it Neopolitan slices.
Hey Paisan, they're pizza parlors!



JoeM
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: I Hate New York
Posted by: Furiously Stylish
Date: December 21, 2005 11:08AM
JoeM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just teasin' ya Philly is a great city.
>
> But you're NOT Italian, right?
>
> >>..all the shops call it Neopolitan
> slices.
> Hey Paisan, they're pizza parlors!
>
> ----------------
> JoeM
>


If you was from some place with tast, you'd a grown up knowin' about panzarotti.

[www.hollyeats.com]

And you see the sign says "ristorante."
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: I Hate New York
Posted by: Stavs
Date: December 21, 2005 11:12AM
JoeM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just teasin' ya Philly is a great city.
>
> But you're NOT Italian, right?
>
> >>..all the shops call it Neopolitan
> slices.
> Hey Paisan, they're pizza parlors!
>
> ----------------
> JoeM
>


Nah...I'm Greek....always wished I was Italian cause I'd rather meet a nice Italian girl over a Greek girl any day!

Mmmmmm.....italian girls

Stavs
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: I Hate New York
Posted by: Guitarman
Date: December 21, 2005 11:26AM
Is that sung to the tune of "I <3 NY"?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: I Hate New York
Posted by: JoeM
Date: December 21, 2005 11:47AM
Stavs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...I'd rather meet a nice Italian girl over a
> Greek girl...

Jeez, I got a real wise-*ss come back here but I think I'd better let it go.



JoeM
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: I Hate New York
Posted by: x-uri
Date: December 21, 2005 11:50AM
Stavs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was born outisde of Philly...all the shops call
> it Neopolitan slices.
>

How far outside of Philly? Like, Baltimore?

Here's a test:

1 - When Joe Gegnas sold Chryslers with "none of THAT stuff", what picture popped up on the screen?

2 - If you didn't buy your suit from Krass Brothers, ____ _____ _____! (Store of the Stars!)

3 - If you have passion for fashion/if you have a craving for savings/take the wheel of your automobile/and swing on down to ______

4 - Patty Smythe sang about which brand of soda, before she fronted Scandal, (and way before she was a cyborg warrior of love "shooting at the walls of heartache/ Bang Bang!" with shirtless silver chiropractor in a post-nuclear back-alley disco).

5 - Was this this the same soda with which Richie Ashburn met Dave Cash when he slid into 3rd base?

6 - Big Marty .... really does..... sell ______ .....cheaper.

7 - Who's daughter appeared in the Atlantic Transmission ads?

8 - Greenwood-7 5312, call for _____!

9 - When you drive down to Sea Isle or Ocean City or Wildwood you are going _____ the _____.

10 - What was Gene Hart's day job?

Bonus Question:

The ______ northeast.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: I Hate New York
Posted by: JoeM
Date: December 21, 2005 12:13PM
Furiously Stylish Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you was from some place with tast, you'd a
> grown up knowin' about panzarotti.
>
>
>

Jeez, that's a deep fried mess of a heart attack! 4 grease stains! mmmmmm!
And just where the h*ll is Westmont, NJ? Some Philly Italian cugine moved out across the river past Camden to da burbs? (the "hoagies" thing is a tip off) The Pasta Fagoli looks decent though.

> And you see the sign says "ristorante."
that's just some nouveau, chi-chi, grease ball tryin' to be upscale.

Look, read the caption:
[www.artnet.com]

BTW, the pizza there is mediocre.



JoeM
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: I Hate New York
Posted by: Furiously Stylish
Date: December 21, 2005 12:18PM
x-uri Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Stavs Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I was born outisde of Philly...all the shops
> call
> > it Neopolitan slices.
> >
>
> How far outside of Philly? Like, Baltimore?
>
> Here's a test:
>
> 1 - When Joe Gegnas sold Chryslers with "none of
> THAT stuff", what picture popped up on the
> screen?

Bull

>
> 2 - If you didn't buy your suit from Krass
> Brothers, ____ _____ _____! (Store of the Stars!)
>

you was robbed

> 3 - If you have passion for fashion/if you have a
> craving for savings/take the wheel of your
> automobile/and swing on down to ______

Ideal

>
> 4 - Patty Smythe sang about which brand of soda,
> before she fronted Scandal, (and way before she
> was a cyborg warrior of love "shooting at the
> walls of heartache/ Bang Bang!" with shirtless
> silver chiropractor in a post-nuclear back-alley
> disco).
>

Gotta be Frank's, thanks, please.


> 5 - Was this this the same soda with which Richie
> Ashburn met Dave Cash when he slid into 3rd base?

?

>
> 6 - Big Marty .... really does..... sell ______
> .....cheaper.
>

carpet

> 7 - Who's daughter appeared in the Atlantic
> Transmission ads?

the boss's

>
> 8 - Greenwood-7 5312, call for _____!

action

>
> 9 - When you drive down to Sea Isle or Ocean City
> or Wildwood you are going _____ the _____.

all the way to Cape May

down the parkway?

>
> 10 - What was Gene Hart's day job?

no clue

>
> Bonus Question:


Great, White, Far

>
> The ______ northeast.
>


What do I get?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: I Hate New York
Posted by: Stavs
Date: December 21, 2005 12:22PM
x-uri Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Stavs Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I was born outisde of Philly...all the shops
> call
> > it Neopolitan slices.
> >
>
> How far outside of Philly? Like, Baltimore?

Havertown

> Here's a test:
>
> 1 - When Joe Gegnas sold Chryslers with "none of
> THAT stuff", what picture popped up on the
> screen?

A Bull

> 2 - If you didn't buy your suit from Krass
> Brothers, ____ _____ _____! (Store of the Stars!)

You paid too much!

> 3 - If you have passion for fashion/if you have a
> craving for savings/take the wheel of your
> automobile/and swing on down to ______

IDEAL-I love that jingle!!!

> 4 - Patty Smythe sang about which brand of soda,
> before she fronted Scandal, (and way before she
> was a cyborg warrior of love "shooting at the
> walls of heartache/ Bang Bang!" with shirtless
> silver chiropractor in a post-nuclear back-alley
> disco).

Dont know this one...Franks?

> 5 - Was this this the same soda with which Richie
> Ashburn met Dave Cash when he slid into 3rd base?

Wasnt a huge sports fan

> 6 - Big Marty .... really does..... sell ______
> .....cheaper.
>
Carpet

> 7 - Who's daughter appeared in the Atlantic
> Transmission ads?

The Boss's of course!

> 8 - Greenwood-7 5312, call for _____!

Before my time no doubt.

> 9 - When you drive down to Sea Isle or Ocean City
> or Wildwood you are going _____ the _____.

The shore?

> 10 - What was Gene Hart's day job?

Forget.

> Bonus Question:
>
> The ______ northeast.

Not sure about this one...I do miss the Empire Rock Club though!

Stavs






Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2005 12:23PM by Stavs.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: I Hate New York
Posted by: Furiously Stylish
Date: December 21, 2005 12:34PM
Havertown?

No @#$%&.

No wonder you knew Piccs's.

Yasou, Stavros. Te kanis?

BTW, we have another DelCo boy here, but he's playing at "incogmavro."
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: I Hate New York
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: December 21, 2005 12:35PM
> I hate the fact that they can just shut streets down willy
> nilly because someone wants to have a parade, or a
> motorcade.

You want to live in the worst city in the world for that, go to D.C.

They shut down streets for any old diplomat. They shut down districts when there's a trade-conference. They close bridges when there are protests. For a Saudi, they'll shut down the whole business district while he takes his black SUV for a joy ride.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: I Hate New York
Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: December 21, 2005 01:03PM
I certainly have found no reason to visit NYC, but many reasons not to.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: I Hate New York
Posted by: Guitarman
Date: December 21, 2005 01:24PM
SteveJobs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I certainly have found no reason to visit NYC, but
> many reasons not to.


That's because the most culture you can absorb at one time is the christian rock band at the evangelical mega chapel in your sprawling ex-urbia hell.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: I Hate New York
Posted by: Furiously Stylish
Date: December 21, 2005 01:35PM
Guitarman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> User ignored - click to show/hide this message
> SteveJobs Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I certainly have found no reason to visit
> NYC, but
> > many reasons not to.
>
>
> That's because the most culture you can absorb at
> one time is the christian rock band at the
> evangelical mega chapel in your sprawling ex-urbia
> hell.


Hah. You just wish they were hiring.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: I Hate New York
Posted by: Stavs
Date: December 21, 2005 01:50PM
Furiously Stylish Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Havertown?
>
> No @#$%&.
>
> No wonder you knew Piccs's.
>
> Yasou, Stavros. Te kanis?
>
> BTW, we have another DelCo boy here, but he's
> playing at "incogmavro."


Yep...I live in Allentown now, but I drive down to visit relatives and go to Pica's, Geno's, and Italian Delight (Broomall-love their pizza too).

I miss Delco, but its changed since I last lived there (12 years ago).

Kano Kala! Dealmac=malakies

Stavs
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: I Hate New York
Posted by: Furiously Stylish
Date: December 21, 2005 02:00PM
Ah, I.D. in the "town with no downtown." Not too many choices therabouts. They do a fairly standard pie, better then the local Bravo's outlet.

You went to St. Luke's?

PS: malakies, @#$%&. Moonie braxamos skata.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2005 02:01PM by Furiously Stylish.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: I Hate New York
Posted by: Guitarman
Date: December 21, 2005 02:03PM
Furiously Stylish Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> User ignored - click to show/hide this message
> Guitarman Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > User ignored - click to show/hide this
> message
> > SteveJobs Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > I certainly have found no reason to
> visit
> > NYC, but
> > > many reasons not to.
> >
> >
> > That's because the most culture you can
> absorb at
> > one time is the christian rock band at the
> > evangelical mega chapel in your sprawling
> ex-urbia
> > hell.
>
>
> Hah. You just wish they were hiring.


I guess that ignore filter isn't working today? Or the psychotic urge to stalk has hit one more time. The fat one who hasn't worked in years and raids his wife's purse for pennies nickels and quarters wishes he even had a skill to be hired for, Instead he sits and posts to forums 24 hours a day 7 days a week. The fat psychotic with a gun fetish and one ball just can't seem to sit still or even ignore someone for more than a moment.

You're a pathetic piece of crap.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: I Hate New York
Posted by: Guitarman
Date: December 21, 2005 02:07PM
Hey have one on me.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: I Hate New York
Posted by: Furiously Stylish
Date: December 21, 2005 02:08PM
Guitarman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> User ignored - click to show/hide this message
> Furiously Stylish Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > User ignored - click to show/hide this
> message
> > Guitarman Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > User ignored - click to show/hide this
> > message
> > > SteveJobs Wrote:
> > >
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> >
> > > -----
> > > > I certainly have found no reason
> to
> > visit
> > > NYC, but
> > > > many reasons not to.
> > >
> > >
> > > That's because the most culture you can
> > absorb at
> > > one time is the christian rock band at
> the
> > > evangelical mega chapel in your
> sprawling
> > ex-urbia
> > > hell.
> >
> >
> > Hah. You just wish they were hiring.
>
>
> I guess that ignore filter isn't working today? Or
> the psychotic urge to stalk has hit one more time.
> The fat one who hasn't worked in years and raids
> his wife's purse for pennies nickels and quarters
> wishes he even had a skill to be hired for,
> Instead he sits and posts to forums 24 hours a day
> 7 days a week. The fat psychotic with a gun fetish
> and one ball just can't seem to sit still or even
> ignore someone for more than a moment.
>
> You're a pathetic piece of crap.


Whatever. Unlike you, I don't throw stones at people based upon their religion.

The filter works when I care to use it.

I pray for the day when your DT266 breaths its last.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: I Hate New York
Posted by: Stavs
Date: December 21, 2005 02:11PM
Furiously Stylish Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ah, I.D. in the "town with no downtown." Not too
> many choices therabouts. They do a fairly
> standard pie, better then the local Bravo's
> outlet.
>
> You went to St. Luke's?
>
> PS: malakies, @#$%&. Moonie braxamos skata.
>
>
>
> Edited 1 times. Last edit at 12/21/05 03:01PM by
> Furiously Stylish.

Heheh...yeah, St. Lukes with Father Gregory. I started going to St Geroge in Media when I was older. I still like going down for the Greek Festivals. My Yiayia works the lunches that St George's (downtown Philly) has.

My fave is get a group of Greeks together and page over the intercom for "Scott Anafas."

Stavs
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: I Hate New York
Posted by: Furiously Stylish
Date: December 21, 2005 02:14PM
Scotta na fas …

hee …
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: I Hate New York
Posted by: the_poochies
Date: December 21, 2005 02:16PM
My aunt & uncle have lived in Havertown for 40 years, just off of Westchester Pike. My couins went to Cardinal O'Hara HS. Do they still sell that Mom's bake at home pizza out there?



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2005 02:16PM by the_poochies.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: I Hate New York
Posted by: Guitarman
Date: December 21, 2005 02:18PM
Furiously Stylish Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> User ignored - click to show/hide this message
> Guitarman Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > User ignored - click to show/hide this
> message
> > Furiously Stylish Wrote:
> >

> > > Hah. You just wish they were hiring.
> >
> >
> > I guess that ignore filter isn't working
> today? Or
> > the psychotic urge to stalk has hit one more
> time.
> > The fat one who hasn't worked in years and
> raids
> > his wife's purse for pennies nickels and
> quarters
> > wishes he even had a skill to be hired for,
> > Instead he sits and posts to forums 24 hours
> a day
> > 7 days a week. The fat psychotic with a gun
> fetish
> > and one ball just can't seem to sit still or
> even
> > ignore someone for more than a moment.
> >
> > You're a pathetic piece of crap.
>
>
> Whatever. Unlike you, I don't throw stones at
> people based upon their religion.
>
> The filter works when I care to use it.
>
> I pray for the day when your DT266 breaths its
> last.

No you just stalk people, that's all and give out their addresses and phone numbers. That's all you do. And post and post and post. Do you post "heavy"? Huh psycho boy? Do you make sure you have a full clip of hollow points when you post? Huh nut job? You want to be left alone? You leave me alone.

Did the voices in your head tell you to reply to a post that had nothing to do with you? Did you pull you gun on another un-armed shemale hooker that you called over to your car?




Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2005 02:21PM by Guitarman.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: I Hate New York
Posted by: Furiously Stylish
Date: December 21, 2005 02:19PM
the_poochies Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My aunt & uncle have lived in Havertown for 40
> years, just off of Westchester Pike. My couins
> went to Cardinal O'Hara HS. Do they still sell
> that Mom's bake at home pizza out there?
>
>
>
>
>
> Edited 1 times. Last edit at 12/21/05 02:16PM by
> the_poochies.


[www.momsbakeathome.com]

[www.momspizzahavertown.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: I Hate New York
Posted by: Stavs
Date: December 21, 2005 02:27PM
the_poochies Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My aunt & uncle have lived in Havertown for 40
> years, just off of Westchester Pike. My couins
> went to Cardinal O'Hara HS. Do they still sell
> that Mom's bake at home pizza out there?
>
>
>
>
>
> Edited 1 times. Last edit at 12/21/05 03:16PM by
> the_poochies.


Mom's has a fgew locations in PA. We have one here in Allentown...its not bad. I discovered Papa Murpheys when I lived in Minnesota...that was some pretty damn good Bake At Home pizza.

Stavs
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: I Hate New York
Posted by: Stavs
Date: December 21, 2005 02:51PM
Guitarman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Furiously Stylish Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > User ignored - click to show/hide this
> message
> > Guitarman Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > User ignored - click to show/hide this
> > message
> > > Furiously Stylish Wrote:
> > >
>
> > > > Hah. You just wish they were
> hiring.
> > >
> > >
> > > I guess that ignore filter isn't
> working
> > today? Or
> > > the psychotic urge to stalk has hit one
> more
> > time.
> > > The fat one who hasn't worked in years
> and
> > raids
> > > his wife's purse for pennies nickels
> and
> > quarters
> > > wishes he even had a skill to be hired
> for,
> > > Instead he sits and posts to forums 24
> hours
> > a day
> > > 7 days a week. The fat psychotic with a
> gun
> > fetish
> > > and one ball just can't seem to sit
> still or
> > even
> > > ignore someone for more than a moment.
> > >
> > > You're a pathetic piece of crap.
> >
> >
> > Whatever. Unlike you, I don't throw stones
> at
> > people based upon their religion.
> >
> > The filter works when I care to use it.
> >
> > I pray for the day when your DT266 breaths
> its
> > last.
>
> No you just stalk people, that's all and give out
> their addresses and phone numbers. That's all you
> do. And post and post and post. Do you post
> "heavy"? Huh psycho boy? Do you make sure you have
> a full clip of hollow points when you post? Huh
> nut job? You want to be left alone? You leave me
> alone.
>
> Did the voices in your head tell you to reply to a
> post that had nothing to do with you? Did you pull
> you gun on another un-armed shemale hooker that
> you called over to your car?
>
>
>
>
> Edited 2 times. Last edit at 12/21/05 03:21PM by
> Guitarman.


I'm totally lost with this thread within a thread smiling smiley
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: I Hate New York
Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 21, 2005 04:09PM
The Greater Northeast.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: I Hate New York
Posted by: x-uri
Date: December 21, 2005 06:35PM
$tevie -- I was actually thinking of the GREAT northeast. But the Judges would probably have accepted Greater.

Stavs - 65%. Pretty good, so I will allow that I can think of one or two pizza places (seriously, who calls them parlors) in Philly that had neapolitan pies on the menu. But, IIRC, these places all also served sicilian pizzas. Places that didn't serve the thick, square siciliano, just called pizza "pizza". Of course I didn't order that many pies west of the Schuylkill, out by Bala Cynwyd, Tredyffrin, Colwyn, Bryn Mawr they could call it ppyzy, for all I know.

I don't think it is possible for you to be old enough remember the Boss' daughter (who talked right through her nose) in the Atlantic transmission ads and the swing on down to Ideal ("Its nothing but a quonset hut") ads, but also to be too young to remember the WFIL Action Line ads (which were 15 second TV spots that ran every hour during the afternoon kid's programming on channel 17).

I saw an amazing number of bad bands at the Empire. Tommy Conwell, John Eddie, Robert Hazard, Beru Revue (!)... but it wasn't my favorite venue. I was more into Revival, London Victory, The Cabarets, City Gardens in Trenton etc. I think, by the time I got seriously into the club scene, the Empire was booking mostly hair bands.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: I Hate New York
Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 21, 2005 06:52PM
Uh, excuse me, x-url. Try Googling "great northeast" and "greater northeast" and see what you get. DON"T say Philadelphia. Just "great northeast" vs "greater northeast".
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: I Hate New York
Posted by: x-uri
Date: December 21, 2005 07:10PM
Like I asked for an attitude!

I said I was thinking of "the great northeast" which is a specific reference from late night local television. c. 1980, which stavs, as a kid allegedly from the burbs might recognize if he'd been watching television sometime in the last 30 years within an 80 mile radius of downtown Philly.

Also, like I said, I'd have accepted "greater northeast" as evidence that he'd been exposed to idiomatic phillyspeak.

And for pete's sake, it is an "eye" at the end of my handle, not a freakin' "ell".

Which reminds me: You can't get to heaven on the Frankford El, you can only get to ____

(alternately: because the Frankford El goes straight to ___)





Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2005 07:18PM by x-uri.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: I Hate New York
Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 21, 2005 07:21PM
Well, who died and made you the big mahoff?
winking smiley
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: I Hate New York
Posted by: JoeM
Date: December 21, 2005 08:02PM
x-uri Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...Stavs - 65%. Pretty good, so I will allow that I
> can think of one or two pizza places (seriously,
> who calls them parlors)...

OK, here it is, + more info than you ever wanted to know:

[en.wikipedia.org]

"...A restaurant which serves pizza is called pizzeria (from italian); in the US, also the name pizza parlor is used...."

"...With its rising popularity in the 1950s, especially in the US, pizza became a component of the growing chain-restaurant industry. Some leading early pizza chains were Shakey's Pizza (inventor of the term pizza parlor; formerly, the term pizzeria was preferred)..."



JoeM
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: I Hate New York
Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 22, 2005 08:48AM
When I was very young people always referred to them as "pizza pies". I haven't heard anyone call it that in ages (with the exception of Arthur Spooner on King of Queens).

"When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie that's Amore"
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: I Hate New York
Posted by: incognegro
Date: December 22, 2005 09:52AM
late to the thread... i miss Doctor Shock, and even Stella.

i like New York - to visit. it has things that Philly does not, shops and restaurants, clubs and views. New Yorkers are somewhat more resilient than, say, Philadelphians, but not by much; and i wouldn't say ALL NYers are tougher than ALL PHLers.

each city has its strengths and weaknesses. much easier to figure out which subway line you need to ride in PHL.



Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: I Hate New York
Posted by: Stavs
Date: December 22, 2005 10:05AM
$tevie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When I was very young people always referred to
> them as "pizza pies". I haven't heard anyone call
> it that in ages (with the exception of Arthur
> Spooner on King of Queens).
>
> "When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
> that's Amore"


I still go in and order a "large pie." I wouldnt call it a pizza pie, but I still use pie. Maybe its me.

Alot of the bands I liked played the EMpire (Overkill, Celtic Frost...all metal bands). So when that closed we all moved to the Troc. Loved the Troc...especially once I turned 21 and was able to hang upstairs and drink. What a blast....I wish I was ytoung again!

Stavs
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: I Hate New York
Posted by: JoeM
Date: December 22, 2005 10:11AM
incognegro Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> late to the thread... i miss Doctor Shock, and
> even Stella.
>
> i like New York - to visit. it has things that
> Philly does not, shops and restaurants, clubs and
> views. New Yorkers are somewhat more resilient
> than, say, Philadelphians, but not by much; and i
> wouldn't say ALL NYers are tougher than ALL
> PHLers.
>
> each city has its strengths and weaknesses. much
> easier to figure out which subway line you need to
> ride in PHL.
>
> __
> Reboot! Reboot! OK!

Yeah, yeah, but what do you think about Pizza?






JoeM
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: I Hate New York
Posted by: JoeM
Date: December 22, 2005 10:21AM
Stavs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> $tevie Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > When I was very young people always referred
> to
> > them as "pizza pies". I haven't heard anyone
> call
> > it that in ages (with the exception of
> Arthur
> > Spooner on King of Queens).
> >
> > "When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza
> pie
> > that's Amore"
>
>
> I still go in and order a "large pie." I wouldnt
> call it a pizza pie, but I still use pie. Maybe
> its me.
>
> Alot of the bands I liked played the EMpire
> (Overkill, Celtic Frost...all metal bands). So
> when that closed we all moved to the Troc. Loved
> the Troc...especially once I turned 21 and was
> able to hang upstairs and drink. What a blast....I
> wish I was ytoung again!
>
> Stavs

Yeah, I remember back in the late 50's and in the 60's, people would order a "pizza pie" or a "round pie".

Down in Brooklyn, the Vinnys say "Gimme a pie" or "Gimme a slice". The old goombas would just say "ah beets". I don't know how the heck to actually spell it right but that's how to say it.






JoeM
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: I Hate New York
Posted by: x-uri
Date: December 22, 2005 12:13PM
Big mahoff ^.^. I haven't heard that one said out loud in years.

My italian grandmother, born in South Philly, never called it pizza. To her they were "tomato pies" (and marinara was "gravy"). It is, as Stevie suggests, a generational thing. Where I grew up, the folks who still spoke italian at home called it a "pizza pie". Their kids, just called it pizza.

That said, I don't think "pie", by itself, for pizza is part of the indigenous Philly dialect, not sure where it originated, but I am hearing it more frequently everywhere I go.

I spent some time at the Troc. I am thinking I might have 10 years on you Stavs. I saw the Hooters play the Chestnut, although I am pretty sure I flashed a fake ID to get in.

Philly had some great venues for live music in the 80s & 90s. I am guessing some of them are still there, although I know that the Victory is now coffee shop/book store with apartments upstairs. And revival shut down in 1990 or 91 (I was living in North Carolina when I got the news), I wonder what they did with the building?

When I moved to Portland the music scene was really vibrant, it reminded me strongly of Philly. Lots of clubs and small theaters and some serious local talent. Its still pretty good, but there isn't as much money floating around as there used to be, and some of the better clubs have closed their doors (I really miss La Luna).






Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2005 01:21PM by x-uri.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: I Hate New York
Posted by: Furiously Stylish
Date: December 22, 2005 04:25PM
Philadelphian since '64, first urban, then suburban.

It's a "pie" to me. The big, sqaure thing is Sicilian, which isn't seen as much in South Philly as it is out in the 'burbs. Never called them "parlors," nor pizzerias, really, either, just by what they were called: Celebre's, Pizza Shack, Marra's, Tacconelli's, Russo's, etc. I'd never call it a Neapolitan anything, unless I found myself completely without a frame of reference for someone from some place like Mars, or Topeka, KS. Tomato pies to me are just that, yeah, tomato pies, tomato and bread, but not so common a thing in Philly as they are in Trenton and points farther north through Jersey, at least not in my experience. And yes, gravy isn't brown, although the regionalism is dying quickly.

The Tower was more my speed for musical acts.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: I Hate New York
Posted by: iMe
Date: December 23, 2005 05:01PM
I can't believe you HATE New York. They speaks so highly of you there.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: I Hate New York
Posted by: incognegro
Date: December 25, 2005 09:41PM
i called pizza pizza; sometimes we shortened it to 'za. never had tomato pie (pizza minus the cheese) til i got to the lehigh valley. prefer hand-tossed pie to the awful fast-food chain version of pizza. really love a strong white pizza, esp. with spinach on top.

liked Revival, Khyber Pass, Kennel Club, Troc, Upstairs at Nick's, TLA and Electric Factory for shows. missed out on the East Side Club and Emerald City. saw a few squathouse shows, i think one was called Killtime.

i was reminded the other night that i got on stage and sang with the Dwarves at Khyber a number of years ago. i recall singing the 4 F Club with the Mentors as well - good times when a band encouraged their fans to sing along in the mic - definitely a HC thing. stage diving was OK before the metalheads brought "moshing" into vogue and MTV videos made everyone think they knew how to 'dive and float the crowd.

/bitter old punk rant



Options:  Reply • Quote
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 184
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020