Bush Says Anthem Should Be in English

[news.yahoo.com]

JoeM
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Who'da thunkit? I finally agree with Bush on something
Posted by: $tevie
Date: April 28, 2006 12:21PM
Isn't it just a recording?

When Whitney Houston's recording of the National Anthem came out, did we think it meant we all had to start singing it like she did and marry an @#$%& and start doing drugs? When Jimi Hendrix recorded it, did we think we were no longer allowed to sing it but had to play it on a guitar?

This is a fake issue to make us look away from real issues. As usual.

Posted by: cassie
Date: April 28, 2006 12:34PM
Hey, we agree!

BTW: Simon says we shouldn't try to sing Whitney Houston songs.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: April 28, 2006 12:35PM
"I think the national anthem ought to be sung in English, and I think people who want to be a citizen of this country ought to learn English and they ought to learn to sing the national anthem in English."

I everyone (who is a US citizen) should learn the freakin' words, no matter what language they sing it in.

A friend told me about a program that was asking people if they supported a bill that would make Anglais the official language of the US. One gentleman said yes, and his reason was, "If it was good enough for Jesus Christ, it's good enough for us!"

I have never bothered to verify this, but living in the Bible belt, I belive it.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: April 28, 2006 12:54PM
$tevie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Isn't it just a recording?
>
> When Whitney Houston's recording of the National
> Anthem came out, did we think it meant we all had
> to start singing it like she did and marry an
> @#$%& and start doing drugs? When Jimi Hendrix
> recorded it, did we think we were no longer
> allowed to sing it but had to play it on a
> guitar?
>
> This is a fake issue to make us look away from
> real issues. As usual.

$tevie,

He wasn't talking about the record:

"...When the president was asked at a Rose Garden question-and-answer session whether the anthem should be sung in Spanish, he replied: "I think the national anthem ought to be sung in English, and I think people who want to be a citizen of this country ought to learn English and they ought to learn to sing the national anthem in English."..."

IMHO, the idea of this record just looks like another music industry skel trying to make a buck off of a current situation. (But I am just guessing, I don't know for sure what that guy's background is.)

Why only record it in Spanish? What about all the other immigrants who have come before? After over 25yrs in the music biz, I 've seen plenty of this kind of stuff in an attempt to make a quick buck. But maybe I'm wrong here.

Now the Hendrix version - that was universally spectacular!

cassie Wrote:
--------------------------------------------
>Hey, we agree!

We better enjoy the moment. It probably won't happen too often. ;)

JoeM
Posted by: Pops
Date: April 28, 2006 12:59PM
Yo no entiendo.
Yo no hablo espaƱol.
Date: April 28, 2006 01:08PM
I happen to be a big believer in "if you live in the U.S. you need to learn English." I just don't think The Star Spangled Banner is really the arena in which to have that argument.

That same year, on March 3, President Herbert C. Hoover signed the Act establishing Key's poem and Smith's music as the official anthem of the United States.

The new law, however, did not specify an official text or musical arrangement, but left room for creative arrangements and interpretations of "The Star Spangled Banner."

[memory.loc.gov]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2006 01:13PM by $tevie.
Posted by: brofoski
Date: April 28, 2006 01:24PM
Dubya, Joe, and the Kid all agree!

Date: April 28, 2006 02:43PM
brofoski Wrote:
> Dubya, Joe, and the Kid all agree!

LOL!!!

You know I'd be watching that CSI New York episode on May 3rd if I wasn't going to be in Paris that week:
[www.mtv.com]

Heck, maybe I'll cancel my trip.
And I might just pay good $ to see the ol' Kid try to sing the National Anthem without butchering it.

JoeM
Date: April 28, 2006 02:58PM
Ha! That's the first I've heard of that. He played a redneck in Joe Dirt. I wonder which has more range, his singing or his acting? Considering his history of duet mismatches, I'm surprised he didn't try co-starring with Dinero.
Posted by: davester
Date: April 28, 2006 02:58PM
Hmmm. What language do you suppose the guy who this country is named after spoke? You know the one, Amerigo Vespucci.

...and what language did those nasty royalists that the U.S. violently separated itself from speak? You know the ones...led by King George. We certainly wouldn't want to use that language here, now would we?

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2006 03:02PM by davester.
Date: April 28, 2006 03:02PM
Kid Rock was on Adam Corolla's radio show the other day. When asked about his sex tape he said, "The most embarassing thing about it, was that I was hanging out with Scott Stapp." He was actually pretty funny.
Posted by: incognegro
Date: April 28, 2006 03:05PM
I think we should make every country release an English version of their own national anthems.

Deutchland Uber Alles in English... ja!
Date: April 28, 2006 03:10PM
Why not? Falco and Nena recorded their national anthems in english. Except I never remember which countries anthems were De Komissar and 99 Red Balloons.
Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: April 28, 2006 04:40PM
I'm a big ENGLISH fan(boy)< but I have been trying to learn Spanish - seems inevitable.

Date: April 28, 2006 09:32PM
davester Wrote:
> Hmmm. What language do you suppose the guy who
> this country is named after spoke? You know the
> one, Amerigo Vespucci.

Italian! I gabeesh! Now I understand why all us Brooklyn boys talk the way we dooz.
(However, he did work for the Spanish and the Portuguese)

But maybe we should all be talking Viking?

JoeM
Posted by: RgrF
Date: April 28, 2006 10:32PM
As a sentiment the Anthem celebrates war, as a song it's just plain absurd and not singable (sic?). It should have been replaced by "America the Beautiful" long ago.
Posted by: billb
Date: April 29, 2006 10:54AM
Let's make sure they learn a literal translation of Jingle Bells, too, while we're at it.

The basics, like what to do if a person with a badge and gun yells stop/put your hands up, or a person without a badge yells give me your wallet, would be more important.
Even the word 'duck' could come in handy.(and other words that rhyme with it)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2006 10:55AM by billb.
Posted by: decocritter
Date: April 29, 2006 03:51PM
If they plan to work here, live here, drive here, vote here, they ought to have enough grasp of English to sing the National Anthem. if they want to sing it at all.

I don't mind learning another language. I don't need or want Spanish crammed down my throat, just so I can get along in my own country. I am so sick of general announcements in stores in spanish, the first voice message option is for spanish, tax dollars going to print thousands of forms and informational brochures in spanish . The only gov't forms that should be in spanish are the ones explaining the immigration process, the citizenship process, and maybe basic info about Social Security and Income tax. Let spanish businesses print forms in spanish if they want to.

If they can't learn basic English how can they get along very well. When I went to Mexico on vacation, I learned enough Spanish to get what I wanted. Each time I went back, I attempted to learn more. If I planned to live and work there, I would learn to speak the language, and not expect to be catered to in English. It is also a matter of courtesy and manners to attempt to speak the language.

Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: May 01, 2006 07:40AM
Actually the anthem celebrates a successful defense against attack. The Brits had taken Washington, set the President's house afire, and were moving up the Chesapeake to take the nation's largest port. The Baltimorons turned them away and killed their general.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: May 01, 2006 02:24PM
"Baltimorons"?
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 01, 2006 04:28PM
Lux Interior Wrote:
> "Baltimorons"?

Sombody ought to direct $tevies attention to this post.
Date: May 02, 2006 11:57AM
"Baltimorons" use this term plenty. We've got a pretty good sense of humor about ourselfs here in Bawlmer, Merlin, hon.

RgrF Wrote:
> Lux Interior Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > "Baltimorons"?
>
> Sombody ought to direct $tevies attention to this
> post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2006 11:59AM by $tevie.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 284
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018