advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
National Anthem in Spanish now??? I give up!
Posted by: samintx
Date: April 29, 2006 05:53AM
Now they are wanting the national anthem sung in Spanish the headlines in my newspaper this a.m. What is next?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: National Anthem in Spanish now??? I give up!
Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: April 29, 2006 06:51AM
It's simple. Bye Bye whitey!

Rush Limbaugh just called this their "Jumped the Shark" moment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2006 06:55AM by SteveJobs.
Posted by: towny
Date: April 29, 2006 10:03AM
SteveJobs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's simple. Bye Bye whitey!
>
> Rush Limbaugh just called this their "Jumped the
> Shark" moment.
>
Was that before or after they hauled him away in handcuffs?
Date: April 29, 2006 10:38AM
Not sure. would you like to listen to it? I archive all of his shows since getting the GREAT RadioShark as a present. That way you can know about what you speak.

Posted by: samintx
Date: April 29, 2006 10:54AM
Steve, it is not a matter of being white or black or pink. It is a matter of being AMERICAN, speaking our language...ENGLISH and conducting our lives in AMERICAN.

To think that everyone that speaks out again the illegal immigration of ANY group much less turning American into a Spanish state is because of "bye bye whitey" is intimating racism on the part of "whites".

I personally don't want America to turn into a illegal Mexican satellite.
Date: April 29, 2006 11:45AM
The MexicA web page is very anti-european (aka WHITE).

Posted by: hal
Date: April 29, 2006 03:15PM
what the hell is wrong with a spanish version of the anthem? You don't have to listen to it, you don't have to partake. texas has dual heritage... remember?
Posted by: decocritter
Date: April 29, 2006 03:30PM
A spanish version of our National Anthem is pure crap. Let them go back to Mexico and sing that one.

Here, in Atlanta, this is big news also. I nteresing, but many hispanics interviewed think it is crap also. Especially the legal ones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2006 03:31PM by decocritter.
Posted by: hal
Date: April 29, 2006 05:44PM
then don't listen to it - simple
Posted by: Effin Haole
Date: April 29, 2006 08:32PM
Since when is english our official national language?

Strength without compassion is brutality. Compassion without strength is weakness.

We must train our minds to desire what the situation demands.
Posted by: La_tuya
Date: April 29, 2006 08:32PM
Not a national anthem it is written by a bunch of Nitwits who care more about appearing to be
caring tolerant individuals. FOOLS! You have been BAMBOOZLED by special interest
groups promising you something that they have no right to promise and will destroy the
credibility of MOST legitimate immigrants from Mexico. If you are a legal immigrant and you
participate Monday in the Rallies and other activities you are MISLED. Foolish people, watch
something other then Univision and Galavision. Read something other then Hispanic news
Educate yourselves. I have been to Mexico NOTHING was provided for me in English when
In Mexico I LIVED like a Mexican and I did not RAIL against your government I DEMAND
the same courtesy!
Posted by: decocritter
Date: April 29, 2006 08:58PM
What do you think the primary language of USA is? I have lived here for 47 years and have not hear much else beside english - except for this new episode of cramming the hispanic down your throat crap.

My grandparents were french, but expected to speak English in public situations.

Street signs have always been in English.

Date: April 29, 2006 09:50PM
Wow, just think, if america had the same attitude toward your folks that we have now toward the new immigrants, you'd be in France speaking French.

As an aside, the shocking truth is that the Canadians sing the national anthem in Canadian.
Posted by: norteamericano
Date: April 29, 2006 10:11PM
BORDER TRESPASSERS are not IMMIGRANTS.
Legal, undocumented, illegal or otherwise.
Particularly aggressive, hostile, demanding foreign entitlements, agenda-driven border
trespassers.
How about kicking all of those criminals out who didn't wait in line.
Is this a nation of laws or of approved criminal behavior. 12-20 million and increasing daily.

The National Anthem honors America. The rewritten version indulges a bigoted, anti-
American element that wishes to destroy our heritage. The in-your-face contempt is provoking
exactly the response it deserves. And, no, it's not just a small distraction. These folks are, as
Aristotle said, what they repeatedly do. ANTI-Americans to the core.
Posted by: Effin Haole
Date: April 29, 2006 11:27PM
Of all the neighborhoods I have lived in the US, only in KS was english a majorly dominate language being spoken.

For the most part it was spanish followed by japanese and chinese and tagalog.

Now it's spanish then english, then korean, then armenian. Guess which part of SoCal I live in.

Just depends on which part of the country you are in.

English is the dominate language, but it isn't the official language. The US has no official language.

But since english is the language of academia, and air traffic control, it would be most wise to be fluent in it.

Besides, not knowing the majority language in the country you live in can only be a bad thing.

Strength without compassion is brutality. Compassion without strength is weakness.

We must train our minds to desire what the situation demands.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: April 29, 2006 11:44PM
"Keep those without power or wealth at each others throats and you'll never have to defend your own power or wealth."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2006 11:46PM by RgrF.
Posted by: h'
Date: April 30, 2006 08:18PM
samintx Wrote:
> Now they are wanting the national anthem sung in
> Spanish the headlines in my newspaper this a.m.
> What is next?

It is meaningless to try to comment on this if you're not willing to show the courtesy of at least providing the basics of the story, and divulging the source so one can make a judgement as to the story's veracity.

Superficially, it sounds like you're reading some sort of racist rag.

I suffer from the same sensitivity that you do. A few nuggets of wisdom were shared with me and I'm "trying" to incorporate them into my life. First, remember that nobody can hurt your feelings unless you let them. You can always reject what is being forced on you emotionally.
Second, nothing changes unless you change it. If you don't want the behavior to be repeated then you need to take action. Otherwise the kid has learned that his behavior is the way to get things done, because everyone lets him get away with it.
In the meantime I sympathize because I've been there.
-beerman
Date: May 01, 2006 06:44AM
Source of the story? It's in every major online news source. Need help? smiling smiley

As to the printed paper, who knows? (sam?)

Date: May 01, 2006 08:16AM
You dittoheads are funny. All up in arms about 1st generation immigrants who don't speak much english but give a pass to a president who speaks less english than most new in america koreans.
Posted by: raz
Date: May 01, 2006 08:55AM
SteveJobs wrote:
----------------------------------------------------------
>Source of the story? It's in every major online news
> source. Need help? smiling smiley

yes, please. It's not on cnn's home page. I consider them a 'major online news source'.

samintx Wrote:
> Steve, it is not a matter of being white or black
> or pink. It is a matter of being AMERICAN,
> speaking our language...ENGLISH and conducting our
> lives in AMERICAN.
>

It's really hard to come up with a polite response to this diatribe. But, I'll try.

America has traditionally been a melting pot. We celebrated our cultural diversity - taking things from all comers that we found good.

We are at our worst when we demonize any group of immigrants. However, we have done so repeatedly in our history. Remember that nearly every wave of immigrants started at the bottom of the economic ladder, were associated with gang violence, and regarded as the source of most organized crime.

In the 1840s, the Irish were banned from most professions and trades.

Until the early 1900s, the Census department did not even consider Italians (or any southern europeans) to be 'White'.

Jews were not treated in many hospitals, so they needed to build their own.

Prohibition movements were often racially (and rural versus urban) driven - beer halls were a phenomenon associated with German immigrants.

In the rust belt, you can still see signs of the old ethnic clubs (Slovaks, Croats, ...) formed because they were not permitted/welcome elsewhere.

> To think that everyone that speaks out again the
> illegal immigration of ANY group much less turning
> American into a Spanish state is because of "bye
> bye whitey" is intimating racism on the part of
> "whites".
>
> I personally don't want America to turn into a
> illegal Mexican satellite.

There is no danger of that as long as we welcome immigrants into the mainstream. Assimilation has always taken hold by the second or third generaton.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: May 01, 2006 09:05AM
Hal,

You do know the Spanish version is not identical to the original, right? They changed the text. I have no problem with people producing a patriotics song. However, I take issue with them calling it a Spanish (or X language) version of the National Anthem. Call the song what they will, describe it what they will, but it will never be a version of the national anthem. There is only one and it is the The Star-Spangled Banner.

Robert
Date: May 01, 2006 10:04AM
raz,

it WAS on CNN's front page. But as with all things, the FP is fleeting.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 274
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018