advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Just watched a local politician saying "how dare you call these poor, hard working people, felons!"
Posted by: GeneL
Date: May 01, 2006 03:02PM
Because they are, dummy.

I'm sick of these pandering politicians making excuses for people who are clearly breaking the law and unfairly burdening our health, school and welfare systems.

Are these undocumented workers joining our military?

How can they participate in the armed services if they don't speak english and isn't that an obligation if our country is at war?

What about Mexico's treatment of US citizen in their country? There's nothing close to what Mexican immigrants have as rights and benefits here.

The demands of the illegals… their whole argument has no merit and it will be sad if our representatives give in the the loud noise they are making.

As I always say, "that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Just watched a local politician saying "how dare you call these poor, hard working people, felons!"
Posted by: Robert M
Date: May 01, 2006 03:24PM
Gene,

Nope. You're right to be pissed. The situation is a sad and, IMO, is a poor reflection on our society. I still remember a point in time when illegal immigrants were getting far more benefits than a friend of mine whow as a natural-born citizen with a college degree and full-time job. Pathetic.

Robert
Re: Just watched a local politician saying "how dare you call these poor, hard working people, felons!"
Posted by: brofoski
Date: May 01, 2006 04:58PM
I think all the protesting is going to cause a silent backlash. The protesters are getting all the attention right now, but the voters in this country are going to get mighty conservative when it comes to immigration.
Posted by: Ruby Begonia
Date: May 01, 2006 05:21PM
Most common heard comments on talk radio from callers in California....."This is Great! No
traffic!....I got to work in 15 minutes! Wow!"..."now we know where all that traffic comes
from"..."I don't miss the illegals at all...this is great"...."let's hope they stay offended and go
back to Mexico"...."now that I see which restaurants are closed I'm not going to those
restarants anymore".
Posted by: Effin Haole
Date: May 01, 2006 06:36PM
I have to admit, my normal 90 minute morning commute on the 405 was 35 minutes today.

My favorite lunch spot was open and moderately full at 1pm when I arrived.

The reality of this whole protest thing is that those who think they are protecting their jobs will lose them to other immigrants who will take them in a heartbeat.

Strength without compassion is brutality. Compassion without strength is weakness.

We must train our minds to desire what the situation demands.
Posted by: decocritter
Date: May 01, 2006 10:25PM
Same in Atlanta - much better traffic.

I had jury duty and while waiting with 220 plus people, illegal immigration was the topic.

People seemed to be very against it and tired of the whole thing. The "give me my American Rights, even though I am not and have no intention of becoming American " is not generating much sympathy here.

Jury Pool

I live in a very diverse county with many supposedly legal hispanics. There were 2. There were 5 korean/chinese/vietnamese. 2 Nigerians. Where are all the supposed legal hispanics?? They sure were not represented in the Jury Pool. (There were many hispanics roaming the courthouse halls.) The rest was a mix of Caucasian and African American.

Posted by: bfd
Date: May 02, 2006 12:24AM
If you noticed a difference, then the effort was obviously successful.
Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: May 02, 2006 06:38AM
based on WHAT goal?

I saw no difference, for what it's worth. Then again, I'm not sure where they are, what they do that impacts my life. They sure aren't in IT.

Date: May 02, 2006 08:40AM
BFD,

I noticed a difference. There were less day laborers hanging out on a street corner waiting to be picked up. Some stores had fewer staff on the premises. There seemed to be less gardening crews working yards. You get the idea. IMO, this was an improvement.

'course, knowing which businesses had a significant drop in staff also showed me which ones may or may not employ and/or support illegal immigrants. Now that I know, I'll take my business to their competitors.

I'm working under the assumption that these werent the goals of the protests.

Robert
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: May 02, 2006 09:36AM
GeneL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> How can they participate in the armed services if
> they don't speak english and isn't that an
> obligation if our country is at war?

No, they can't participate. But even if they could, it is not their nor anyone else's obligation to serve. We still have an all-volunteer military.

Posted by: mick e
Date: May 02, 2006 09:49AM
Sounds like the republican-spewed hateful rhetoric is working again.

Aren't you all a little sick of being pwned?

Unpaid Social Liaison
Date: May 02, 2006 10:23AM
Mick,

My response would be identical regardless of party and hate doesn't play a role in it at all. It's all about following the law and not supporting people who stand by individuals who break it.

Robert

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2006 11:39AM by Robert M.
Posted by: Effin Haole
Date: May 02, 2006 11:26AM
bfd Wrote:
> If you noticed a difference, then the effort was
> obviously successful.
>
> bfd ...

I don't think the difference I noticed was the effect they were going for. It made my day a lot less stressful with almost no traffic, no lines in the stores/restaurants and no one trying to flag me down for work just because I happen drive my truck past the Home Depot.

Hell, I almost wish they would protest everyday.

However, I am awaiting the "sudden rise in produce costs and shortages" explaination that will inevitiably come from the food suppliers "due to manpower shortages due to a single day of protests".

Then will come the next wave of higher gas prices being blamed on those protestors as well. How many illegals work in the petroleum industry I wonder?

Strength without compassion is brutality. Compassion without strength is weakness.

We must train our minds to desire what the situation demands.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2006 11:28AM by Effin Haole.
Posted by: bfd
Date: May 03, 2006 11:10PM
… that you noticed a difference is all that is important … how you interpret the impact of that difference is up to you. They're not invisible anymore, and that was the goal of the "gran paro"…

Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: May 04, 2006 06:59AM
does invisibility include smell? smiling smiley

Posted by: decocritter
Date: May 04, 2006 11:37PM
mick e Wrote:
> Sounds like the republican-spewed hateful rhetoric
> is working again.
>
> Aren't you all a little sick of being pwned?
>
>
>
> mick e is out

Micke is this your answer to everything?

That is what I thought.

They sure are leading YOU around by the nose. You can't even form an opinion without thinking about a political party. You are falling right into their plan.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 335
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018