No. They didn't like it very much.

[www.usnews.com]

Too farking bad.

Unpaid Social Liaison
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Colbert monologue not funny to current regime:
Posted by: Michael
Date: May 02, 2006 03:15PM
I agree; if you can't take Colbert, get out of the kitchen!

Bush would likely do better if he would relax and laugh at himself some more.
Posted by: brofoski
Date: May 02, 2006 03:23PM
Of course. Bush and his aids are better judges of humor than a Emmy winning comedy writer.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: May 02, 2006 03:32PM
In fact, some aides crowed over reports that the president easily bested Colbert in the reviews of both comedy acts.

I suppose that's why this is the first I've heard of the "other" act. Must have been a real knee-slapper.

brofoski Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Of course. Bush and his aids are better judges of
> humor than a Emmy winning comedy writer.

And a couple Peabody's, too.

Liberals are SOOOOO humorless
Posted by: Ruby Begonia
Date: May 02, 2006 03:55PM
watched Cobert's complete performance on the net. It was overall disgusting, tastless,
and exceptionally rude. It was almost completely humorless. If I had been at the dinner, it would
have taken great restraint from going over to him and beating this ... to a pulp. Whatever
anyone can do to tar and feather this complete jerk would be appreciated.
Posted by: (vikm)
Date: May 02, 2006 04:13PM
Lighten up, Francis
Posted by: mick e
Date: May 02, 2006 04:27PM
HA HA SHAKEMAN!

Unpaid Social Liaison
Posted by: cassie
Date: May 02, 2006 05:22PM
That's interesting because this morning I saw a CNN report that said most of audience thought Colbert was lame, went over the edge and that Bush took it in stride.

The CNN report also said that Bush and his look a like were funnier by far.
Date: May 02, 2006 05:26PM
Of course the media was not going to think it was very good. He ripped into them just as much as he did the current president.

There's no way they are going to paint a rosy picture of their own folly.

Unpaid Social Liaison
Posted by: cassie
Date: May 02, 2006 05:31PM
Oops,

Forgot to mention that as I listened to some of Colbert's quips, I thought he wasn't funny because he sounded to sincere...you need to be light hearted to get those political jabs stinging with laughter.
Posted by: x-uri
Date: May 02, 2006 05:33PM
Speaking truthiness to power takes courage.

Mark Smith, the outgoing president of the Whitehouse Correspondent's Association, opened the event with some remarks that included a comment to the effect that the Whitehouse Press Corps received complaints from "the right" that they were to critical of the administration, and complaints from "the left" that they were too deferential to the administration, which -- he concluded -- meant that they were "getting it just about right".

Which, of course, is why the Whitehouse press corps is so completely useless. They are invested in the idea that there is a "right" and a "left" side to every issue, and that their job is to take dictation from spokespersons representing opposing and (presumably) equally valid points of view. They trade integrity for access. Access which is meaningless since they do not use it to actually investigate and report upon the activities of the government.

The role of the press ought to be that of a burr under the administration's saddle -- no matter who is in power. To ask questions that those in power do not want to answer, and to question everything the government tells us. To investigate, to try verify the truth and falsify the lies.

Of course, now, news is just another product sold by corporations. It is produced quickly and cheaply put in brightly colored packaging, and marketed to the lowest common denominator.

And Cassie -- Colbert's delivery is part of his schtick. He is lampooning the earnestness of the cable news pundit. His humor is based in irony, which is always critical to the point of being destructive. It was also very smart and very funny.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2006 05:36PM by x-uri.
Posted by: Spole
Date: May 02, 2006 06:07PM
The beauty of it was all his material was provided. He really only needed a brief outline and his show was written. There is nothing he said that was not true and was not appropriate. I was particularly thrilled with his snapping at the media slugs. There are so many villains here, the corrupt maniacal repugnants, the spineless democrats and the eunuch press corps. I think Colbert speaks for a great many of us who are sick and tired of these sheep.
Posted by: Effin Haole
Date: May 02, 2006 06:38PM
amen!

Strength without compassion is brutality. Compassion without strength is weakness.

We must train our minds to desire what the situation demands.
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: May 02, 2006 06:51PM
As a comedy connaisseur, I thought it was brilliantly subversive, although not quite filled with the belly laughs I expected.
The video piece should have been cut at the 'Gannon button' gag, maybe halfway into the Helen Thomas stuff.

I also enjoyed the President and his Doppelganger's schtick.
Sue me.

Oh, and 'Ruby,' please tell me you found Laura (she's hot) Bush's monologue about giving a horse a @#$%& a couple of years ago equally as 'tasteless' as Colbert's stuff which was 100% FCC-compliant.

I am not Ryan Seacrest, and I do not approve this message.
Date: May 02, 2006 07:04PM
And memo to the Bush Junta: It's called a ROAST.
It's supposed to be RAW and BITING.

If you'd ever been to the old Friars' Club roasts with Freddie Roman, you'd think what Colbert did was tamer than what's said at a 10 year-olds' birthday party.

Ooh fah.

Date: May 02, 2006 07:36PM
I'm sure Colbert's approval rating is above 35%
Posted by: hal
Date: May 02, 2006 07:36PM
I'd like to see Bush' bit - it sounds funny.

Colbert's best line;

"...and I'd like to welcome the mayor of New Orleans, the 'chocolate' city. Of course, we're here in DC - the chocolate city with a marshmellow center."
Posted by: hwystar
Date: May 02, 2006 08:07PM
cassie Wrote:
> That's interesting because this morning I saw a CNN report that said most of audience thought
> Colbert was lame, went over the edge and that Bush took it in stride.

>
Yeah, most of the audience in the room (those who were being lampooned) thought it was lame, but most of the audience for which it was intended (millions of people on the web, who caught it on video, those who are smart and perceptive enough to "get" satire) thought it was great.

It was not intended to be funny to those who were being roasted. And the purpose of satire (which is much more difficult to pull off correctly than regular comedy) is not to get laughs as much as it is to expose human hypocrisy and iniquity for what it is.

Satire:

sat·ire–n.

1. a. A literary work in which human vice or folly is attacked through irony, derision, or wit.
b. The branch of literature constituting such works. See Synonyms at caricature.

2. Irony, sarcasm, or caustic wit used to attack or expose folly, vice, or stupidity.

Of course satire is a higher form of humor and appeals to those who understand what it is and what its purpose is. It probably goes over your head just the same way it went over the chimp's. But Colbert has millions of fans who do understand what he does, myself included.

Just count them as part of the 68%, not the 32%. Or in the case of Cheney, 82%.

Check what the 408 comments on this page have to say:

[thinkprogress.org]

> The CNN report also said that Bush and his look a like were funnier by far.

Maybe to those who are so lacking in sense of humor or understanding that they don't get satire, that may be true. Or maybe they are just corporate @#$%& and are sucking up. Go figure. Take a sampling of a number of sites on both sides of the issue, not just one.

The fact that a mainstay of mainstream media, one of the primary targets of Colbert's remarks, doesn't "get" his satire should not really be a big surprise, should it?

No matter, it was intended to make fun of them and expose them for exactly what they are, and it was very successful at accomplishing its intended purpose. Smack! It stings, doesn't it?

Like the best humor, it has a serious message hidden behind the humor. Ref. to Lenny Bruce, Richard Pryor, George Carlin, and other great comics over the years. You could stand to learn something. Of course, you would have to have an open mind, and think for yourself rather than just mouthing the party line, or the daily talking points of the noise machine. And that might be a pretty tall order in your case.

Our so-called leaders have their agenda, and it is most certainly not the agenda of the people, their constituents, who they are supposed to be representing. That fact is only too obvious to most individuals in this country.

It is going to stay that way as long as the foxes are in charge of the henhouse, the theives make the laws to protect and facilitate their wrongdoing, and there is only one political party in charge (the corporate @#$%& party, with its republican and democrat branches). Left and right are just arbitrary tools used to divide and conquer by the ruling elite.

The problem is that any individual with enough integrity that we would want to actually elect them to represent us could never get elected, because they would never garner the corporate contributions needed to run for office. So, instead, we get to choose between two corporate @#$%& on election day, two sides of the same warped coin.

That is why campaign finance would have to be reformed before there can be a cure for the disease that has a stranglehold on "our" government (the best one money can buy). And as long as those who make the laws are among the ones who profit from the flow of money and the division of the spoils, the laws will continue to be written at the behest of, and for the benefit of, those who call the shots with the cashola, instead of for the benefit of the American people as a whole. Say hello to government of the wallet, by the wallet, and for the wallet.

hwystar

teelblue">"The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naive and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who loves his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair." ~H. L. Mencken Ibid.: "The Coolidge Buncombe", pp.411-2
Date: May 02, 2006 08:17PM
hwystar Wrote:
> Lenny Bruce, Richard Pryor, George Carlin
(all great)

Don't forget Bill Hicks!

Posted by: liberal weenie
Date: May 02, 2006 08:49PM
Indeed, the audience was nervous. But not out of shame or embarrassment. They were
awestruck that this no-name pencil neck actually had the testicles to say what they all believe.
Did you notice how boldly and directly Colbert kept looking at the president and addressing
him by name

[www.crooksandliars.com]
Date: May 02, 2006 09:39PM
Okay, mick e is agreeing with a Shakeman post.

Now everything explodes, right?

Unpaid Social Liaison
Posted by: Marc Anthony
Date: May 02, 2006 09:46PM
Did anyone else catch the guy in the audience with his fingers over his mouth? He was obviously aghast, and I found that mildly entertaining, in itself. Anyway, it's good for those in power to get a listen of viewpoints they would normally be insulated against - get them out of their comfort zone and into reality.

Le poète doit vivre beaucoup, vivre dans tous les sens. - Verlaine
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 02, 2006 10:31PM
mick e Wrote:
> Okay, mick e is agreeing with a Shakeman post.
>
> Now everything explodes, right?

Like the Bucks in the playoffs smiling smiley!

Posted by: davester
Date: May 03, 2006 12:54AM
mick e Wrote:
> Okay, mick e is agreeing with a Shakeman post.
>
> Now everything explodes, right?

Matter - antimatter.

It seems to me that the universe should have ended at that moment, but I still seem to be here.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: davester
Date: May 03, 2006 12:56AM
Marc Anthony Wrote:

> - get them out of their comfort
> zone and into reality.

When you're running roughshod over the constitution you shouldn't ever be allowed in the comfort zone.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: May 03, 2006 06:41AM
repost my earlier thought from other thread:

In what way was President Bush not a good sport? He sat there like any other roast and took it, smiling.

They even CARED about the word truthiness? give me a break.

Anyway, this was okay. Kinda looks like Bob Sagget's brother. Didn't make me laugh - just his delivery. But, I did not find it offensive at all. Just another comedian filling his slot and that means he stretches a lot.

Mesquite powered car was close to funny. He actually sounds like GHW Bush in some circumstances.

Slams the press pretty good, too.

D.C. - Chocolate city with marshmallow center - not bad joke.

Joe Wilson joke not bad.

The fake press conference was the best of the show. Kind seemed like a Dana Carvey.

Date: May 03, 2006 07:19AM
He had to sit there and take it. If he had gotten up and left, he would have been eaten alive in the media. If he can just sit there and contemplate that the US is under attack for seven minutes, then he can sit there and take a good roasting for 20. His behaviour afterward showed his lack of a sense of humor.

And princess Laura. Can't even be fake-nice like she is to the hired help.

I guess it was all too close to the truth, eh?

And I saw a picture of the look-alike guy. Is he made of wax?
Date: May 03, 2006 07:43AM
They could have faked some emergency! smiling smiley

There's nothing that says he HAS to have a sense of humor. Especially in light of how everyone attacks him.

I know, that look-alike did indeed looke waxed up. I wonder if he dons appliances (fake nose?)?

Truth? Well, only from the liberal perspective. You guys must really HATE him is all I can think of. One of these commutes, I'm going to get my digicam and take photos of the numerous W stickers, and I support the Pres/Troops stuff. We live in two different worlds, for sure. That's why once California becomes Mexico North, and secedes, it will be a nice shift in power/voting/belly-aching.

Date: May 03, 2006 08:00AM
Why would you not hate a person that manipulated the entire world, and plunged your nation into an unnecessary war?

Why would you not hate a person that took an economic recovery and turned it upside down by driving the deficit into oblivion?

Why would you not hate a person who marketed fear and panic in order to make money for his rich friends.

mick e could continue with this, but you probably already know that.

Unpaid Social Liaison
Date: May 03, 2006 08:10AM
Simply put, I don't see it that way. Then again, I didn't start out with a position of seething hate for this fine gentleman, either. Again, different worlds. And you are certainly entitled ...blah blah blah, but I share a different opinion.

Date: May 03, 2006 08:30AM
You must feel his actions are warranted... "in your gut".

Unpaid Social Liaison
Date: May 03, 2006 08:32AM
LOL - don't steal his lines you liberal weenie plagiarist! smiling smiley (do you go to Harvard?) smiling smiley smiling smiley

My gut is gone. I am now a greek god/statue.

Date: May 03, 2006 08:55AM
SteveJobs Wrote:

> I am now a greek god/statue.

And as a statue, your mind is like cement - all mixed up & permanently set.

Yeah, yeah, I know. Greek statues are probably marble.
Date: May 03, 2006 09:06AM
SteveJobs Wrote:

> There's nothing that says he HAS to have a sense
> of humor. Especially in light of how everyone
> attacks him.

What president hasn't been attacked? No president is going to please everyone and will be attacked by somehow.

> Truth? Well, only from the liberal perspective.
> You guys must really HATE him is all I can think
> of.

Well, I can think of many solid reasons to hate this administration and its policies. Ignoring science (global warming, stem cells, creationism, etc), starting an unnecessary war, totally inept prosecution of said war, etc.

What was the primary beef against Clinton again? A BJ? Stained dresses don't kill people.

> One of these commutes, I'm going to get my
> digicam and take photos of the numerous W
> stickers, and I support the Pres/Troops stuff.

And I can take lots of pictures of Calvin pissing on a Ford/Chevy logo. Does this mean anything? Around here, more people would vote for Dale Earnhardt, based on sticker presence, despite his current health status.
Date: May 03, 2006 09:21AM
the global warming/stem cells/creationism debates are reason I SUPPORT this president. I'm sure non-conservatives would not be happy with the process of any war, frankly. So, that's a non starter.

I did not like Clinton as a person. Not trustworthy, IMO. But, there are too many details and I try to forget about those years. (yikes) yeah, lack of being faithful in what I consider a sacrament with God is a BIGGIE. Details do not matter.

These are new cars, with new stickers. New W designs, not old ones. (with new gun racks! smiling smiley )

Date: May 03, 2006 09:22AM
SteveJobs Wrote:
> They could have faked some emergency!

Ha! We've all seen how Jr. reacts to emergency. Another 9/11 could hit and he would have stayed put for another 10 minutes.
Date: May 03, 2006 09:29AM
Oh, yeah, and tax cuts while at war. I think a better plan is no federal taxes for anyone with an immediate family member stationed in Iraq/Afghanistan.

But that would rule out most of the people who W want's to have tax breaks.

Oh, and I wholly supported the invasion of Afghanistan. And I think he should have finished that job before thinking about Iraq, but it seems he had Iraq-on-the-brain since before 9/11.
Date: May 03, 2006 09:35AM
Clinton looks like fricking Mother Teresa when compared with Bush on the trustworthiness scale.

Unpaid Social Liaison
Date: May 03, 2006 09:38AM
maybe on the metric system.

Date: May 03, 2006 10:26AM
What exactly is the job of the comedian at the dinner? Is he supposed to roast people? Or are they expected to go out there and serve up Jay Leno softballs?

Oh well, maybe Colbert wasn't a proper host. Colbert saw the opportunity, and got his shots in. He got a hero's welcome on the Daily Show and the Colbert Report. It will only help his career and reputation as a respected comedian. So the Larry the Cable Guy crowd doesn't like him. Big loss!
Date: May 03, 2006 10:50AM
I'm not sure what HIS job was supposed to be. It seems an ill-fit to me. And I would use the term comedian losely with that act I saw. smiling smiley

But, true ROASTS are as nasty and mean-spirited while being tongue-in-cheek. But the roaster/decider would have to have prior knowledge and be prepared. coming from more than ONE source would be good, too.

I'm not sure what the strategery behind that was. Sabotage?

Date: May 03, 2006 11:24AM
Everyone seems to forget the history of this event. Imus used to go to those dinners with a flamethrower.

People seem to have this need to protect the current president. They think that he somehow doesn't deserve ridicule because he's a hapless dim-bulb who just happens to have Dick Cheney's hand up his ass.

Unpaid Social Liaison
Date: May 03, 2006 11:34AM
I was surprised they picked Colbert. What else did they expect? I wouldn't classify his performance as comedy either. I think it was a brilliant and balsy commentary on the Bush Administration, disguised as a roast. Colbert got one over on the President, and that's why some people are mad (32-35% of Americans). Colbert burned the President, right in his face, and now he is a hero to a lot of people. And that's what's bothering the Bush crowd. Colbert has a very respectable career in comedy. It's laughable that anybody would question Colbert's ability as a comedian.

Here's what happened. Somebody picked the wrong comedian. BushCo didn't object (I guess he got bad intelligence on Colbert). Colbert took the opportunity rip the administration, as expected. Now people are mad at Colbert. Maybe the Bush fans need to be angry with Jr's handlers for not properly protecting him.
Date: May 03, 2006 11:51AM
and that's why I said Sabotage. Someone on the inside set him up. Poor, helpless, kind-hearted man. That big old, liberal meanie. Isn't Colbert a FRENCH name? Awfutl man, truly AWFUL man. smiling smiley

Date: May 03, 2006 12:05PM
Maybe the White House corespondents arranged it. They probably were hoping Colbert would rip the president. They just didn't know he'd burn the press too.

I think people are making too big of a deal over this. Laura Bush looked like she enjoyed Colbert. She had a smile on her face the whole time. smiling smiley
Date: May 03, 2006 12:17PM
Yeah, he did rip the press just as smartly as he did anyone else. Well, perhaps not Scalia. smiling smiley He kinda got INTO the Scalia piece a bit, there.

I agree - too big a deal. Not like those japanese parliament (?) sessions that end up in girlie fights and hair pulling.

Posted by: x-uri
Date: May 03, 2006 06:19PM
Colbert's monologue was directed entirely at the press. He wasn't satirizing Bush (or Scalia or Rumsfeld or Cheney). He was satirizing the way the personalities, policies, and activities of those in power are reported upon. It was just a bonus that Bush was made uncomfortable.

And Rowdy, why -- do you suppose -- those of us who oppose Bush "hate him". If it is not for his policies, then what -- in your imagination -- is the reason that we "hate him"
Posted by: Effin Haole
Date: May 03, 2006 11:50PM
Colbert was effin great!

The so-called press has no sack.

The fact the Emperor with no clothes almost popped a vein was a bonus.

Strength without compassion is brutality. Compassion without strength is weakness.

We must train our minds to desire what the situation demands.
Date: May 04, 2006 06:58AM
oh, some hate him for his religion (not a policy)
some for his skin color (not a policy)
some for his dad (not a policy)
some for his schooling - yale AND harvard (not a policy)
some for his wealth (not a policy)
some for his marriage status, sexual orientation, height, etc.

that's not my IMAGINATION - that's stuff I've heard spewed from people (like you????).

The republican/conservative hate is just icing on the big liberal cake you guys cram down your pieholes! (or would that be a cakehole, then?) smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2006 06:59AM by SteveJobs.
Date: May 04, 2006 07:07AM
mick e was fully prepared to harbor a mild dislike him as a person, and accept him as a president (a la, George Bush The Elder).

George Bush The Younger managed to turn that into hate fairly quickly with his "presidenting".

Unpaid Social Liaison

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2006 07:08AM by mick e.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 334
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018