advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
William J. Clinton Foundation does a great thing!
Posted by: incognegro
Date: May 03, 2006 09:42AM
[news.yahoo.com]

"NEW YORK - The nation's largest beverage distributors have agreed to halt nearly all soda sales to public schools, according to a deal announced Wednesday by the William J. Clinton Foundation.

Under the agreement, the companies have agreed to sell only water, unsweetened juice and low-fat milks to elementary and middle schools, said Jay Carson, a spokesman for former President Bill Clinton."

i'm glad for this; it makes no sense to be pushing the unhealthy drink in our schools. the sugar-water behemoths don't need any help inundating our kids with their wares.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: William J. Clinton Foundation does a great thing!
Posted by: davester
Date: May 03, 2006 09:57AM
A little puzzling is how the Clinton Foundation is involved. They made the announcement but the article doesn't discuss their involvement. Also, I wonder if "sports drinks" (one of the exceptions to the agreement are contributors to obesity. That could be a giant potential "SUV loophole".

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: May 03, 2006 10:00AM
I don't think they should even have diet sodas there, either.

Date: May 03, 2006 10:14AM
agree, SteveJobs... diet soda doesn't belong there either, but for now it's a start.
Posted by: mick e
Date: May 03, 2006 10:18AM
This flies against everything he stands for. Everyone knows that he would prefer that all young girls become toothless by the time they turn 22!

Unpaid Social Liaison
Posted by: brofoski
Date: May 03, 2006 10:18AM
I'm suspicious. Are you sure this isn't some sort of Neil and Barbara Bush deal? Does Clinton own a water and juice distributor?
Date: May 03, 2006 10:47AM
mick e - Yeeeeouch! scolding reparte (sp?)

Date: May 03, 2006 11:05AM
brofoski Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm suspicious. Are you sure this isn't some sort
> of Neil and Barbara Bush deal? Does Clinton own a
> water and juice distributor?

LOL, gotta look for those conspiracies, right? ;)

"Nearly 35 million students nationwide will be affected by the deal, The Alliance for a Healthier Generation said in a news release. The group, a collaboration between Clinton's foundation and the American Heart Association, helped broker the deal."

"... regular soda is still the most popular drink among students, accounting for 45 percent of beverages sold in schools in 2005, the report said."

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 03, 2006 03:18PM
And I ask my kids the same question- what the hell is wrong with the damn water fountain ? It doesn't cost a thing !

And yet, these schools installed these soda machines years ago because the soda companies bribed them to do it. And the machines are STILL there- just selling water (!). In my kids' Junior High, they REMOVED the water fountain next to the gym to make room for the soda machine.

I say throw the machines completely out, and teach your kids- if you're thirsty, drink the damn water.
Posted by: hal
Date: May 03, 2006 04:01PM
90% of all adults I know have soda with every meal.

It was NOT like this 25 years ago.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: May 03, 2006 04:24PM
Just heard about this on the news...

The word is that the part that the Clinton Foundation played in it was to help broker the deal.

The end result is that only the high schools will have the diet sodas (none of the regular type)-- all other schools will only have: water, low-fat milk, real juices. Excellent!

I think this is a great first step-- of course, it doesn't help much if the school food itself isn't healthy. Apparently, we need a Brit to come in and tell us how to do that: [www.feedmebetter.com]

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2006 04:26PM by PeterB.
Posted by: SLM
Date: May 03, 2006 04:35PM
hal Wrote:
> 90% of all adults I know have soda with every
> meal.
>

How odd, my kid would if he could, but we won't let him. Personally I either drink water or milk and occasionally wine with the big weekend meals.
Posted by: davester
Date: May 03, 2006 04:50PM
hal Wrote:
> 90% of all adults I know have soda with every
> meal.
>
> It was NOT like this 25 years ago.

Surely you're joking. I don't know any adults who drink sodas with their meals. In fact, I hardly know any adults who drink sodas on a regular basis at all.

I'm amazed that there are soda machines and other junk foods in any schools at all. Where is this stuff happening?
When I went to school way back when, the only drinks available were water, milk and occasionally chocolate milk. The only junk food available was tiny (4" diameter) minipizzas which always sold out in minutes...otherwise you had to either bring a lunch or buy sandwiches or fruit (no nachos or chilidogs, etc). The public schools where I live now (Berkeley, CA) have never allowed soda sales as far as I know and now serve only nutritional food on campus.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Blurb
Date: May 03, 2006 07:36PM
davester Wrote:
> hal Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> > 90% of all adults I know have soda with
> every
> > meal.
> >
> > It was NOT like this 25 years ago.
>
> Surely you're joking. I don't know any adults who
> drink sodas with their meals. In fact, I hardly
> know any adults who drink sodas on a regular basis
> at all.

Davester, you'd be surprised how much soda the average American puts away each and every day. Not just kids, but adults. I am no longer shocked when people admit to me that they have 3-12 cans or 1.5-2 (2 liter) bottles of soda per day. In my opinion, soda consumption is the biggest cause of obesity and diabetes here in the US today!
Date: May 03, 2006 09:50PM
This is the first day that I realized Clinton's name can be abbreviated B(ill) J(efferson) Clinton. How appropriate.

Posted by: decocritter
Date: May 03, 2006 10:15PM
I thought you were going to announce that he kept it in his pants for a change
Posted by: decocritter
Date: May 03, 2006 10:16PM
They just announced that thiss will all happen by "2009" - What takes so long to restock a damn machine.

What a joke.
Date: May 04, 2006 11:19AM
The schools have to wait until their food contracts are up for renewal. They'd probably be sued if they broke their agreements.

@#$%& Clinton is better than Gang War Bush, IMHO. ;)
Posted by: Silencio
Date: May 05, 2006 01:55PM
"Apparently, we need a Brit to come in and tell us how to do that."

But every time I make his amazingly good bacon and radicchio risotto recipe, I feel like I gain 5 pounds.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: May 06, 2006 05:03PM
Silencio, may be, but... he's advocating (among other things) more veggies in school lunches, which can only be a Good Thing.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 269
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018