advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
The "blame Bush" for everything is getting old.............
Posted by: JPK
Date: August 03, 2010 04:35PM
On the morning news, I heard some clips of President Obama's "campaign" speeches yesterday where he continues to blame Bush for everything. While I am sure there are some people, including just about everyone on this side of MR forums, who support and enjoy this sort of strategy, I think the average Joe is getting a little tired of it.

At some point, people expect a leader to lead and this does not seem like it is in the plan here. At some point you have to get past the blaming and start focusing on the fixing. I think we are getting close to the point where people have had enough of the campaign speeches and really want to see some fixing. I don't have confidence the President Obama or (more importantly) the people he has chosen around him, are up for that task. I think they much prefer the fun of campaigning instead of the realities of leading.

I don't think this is the best way of preparing for the mid term elections, but what do I know, I am just one of the lone right wingnuts around here!

JPK
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The "blame Bush" for everything is getting old.............
Posted by: Rolando
Date: August 03, 2010 04:45PM
Get started on Fixing? Good Idea
Posted by: Grace62
Date: August 03, 2010 04:57PM
You have to willfully ignore reality in order to reach the conclusion that Obama has not been doing anything for the past 19 months. That's about all the Republicans can try, since they have in fact done nothing to help the country over the past 19 months, so rhetoric like yours is expected.

The most significant social and consumer protection bills of the past 70 years have been signed into law. No previous president has ever gotten anything as significant as health care reform through Congress in their first year in office. The Iraq war is winding down on schedule. A major corporation is being held legally and financially responsible for a major environmental disaster that they caused. A major stimulus was put into effect and helped prevent a major depression. The stock market rebounded. Business investment rose 17% in the last quarter. 95% of Americans received a tax cut. He stood up for the Constitution by blocking the state of Arizona's misguided attempt to preempt federal law in the area of immigration.

Pres. Obama is 100% correct to remind people that the recession and other problems he is trying to solve were caused by the actions and inactions of the previous administration. People are unhappy with our country's economic situation, but that doesn't mean they want to go running back to Republicans. People do recall how we got here.

Is all perfect, and the recession over? No, of course not. Recovery takes time. But to pretend that Pres. Obama has not shown leadership is just silly...although it seems that's all the Republicans have.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: August 03, 2010 05:01PM
What a crock of BS. You guys are still blaming Clinton for things after over a decade. It wasn't all that long ago that one of you tried to blame him for oral sex among teenagers!

Why is it that you right wingers so often complain about the traits you imagine in Obama supporters that you yourself displayed for 8 years? Are you incapable of thinking up your own original complaints? Or are you that senile?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2010 05:02PM by $tevie.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: August 03, 2010 05:02PM
It's my impression JPK that you're focusing on tha blame game and thus are honed in on that message. From my perspective, I don't get that message from the current administration. I wonder what others perspective is? I wonder what percentage of Obama's messages blame Bush?
Posted by: $tevie
Date: August 03, 2010 05:03PM
I've not doubt that JPK just heard this on some talk radio show and thought he had a "gotcha" to post.

Posted by: DaveS
Date: August 03, 2010 05:43PM
Grace62
You have to willfully ignore reality in order to reach the conclusion that Obama has not been doing anything for the past 19 months. That's about all the Republicans can try, since they have in fact done nothing to help the country over the past 19 months, so rhetoric like yours is expected.

The most significant social and consumer protection bills of the past 70 years have been signed into law. No previous president has ever gotten anything as significant as health care reform through Congress in their first year in office. The Iraq war is winding down on schedule. A major corporation is being held legally and financially responsible for a major environmental disaster that they caused. A major stimulus was put into effect and helped prevent a major depression. The stock market rebounded. Business investment rose 17% in the last quarter. 95% of Americans received a tax cut. He stood up for the Constitution by blocking the state of Arizona's misguided attempt to preempt federal law in the area of immigration.

Pres. Obama is 100% correct to remind people that the recession and other problems he is trying to solve were caused by the actions and inactions of the previous administration. People are unhappy with our country's economic situation, but that doesn't mean they want to go running back to Republicans. People do recall how we got here.

Is all perfect, and the recession over? No, of course not. Recovery takes time. But to pretend that Pres. Obama has not shown leadership is just silly...although it seems that's all the Republicans have.

Not that I completely agree with you - but you are so good I think you need your own talk-radio show. Do you need an investor?
Posted by: Pam
Date: August 03, 2010 06:32PM
Elections are coming up. Do you blame anyone for pointing out that what little the Republicans are proposing is the same stuff Bush did? Considering the majority of the country was unhappy with the direction he took us in I think it's good to remind people. The country has short term memory issues.
Posted by: davester
Date: August 03, 2010 07:39PM
This really is a vacuous nonsensical post JPK. Can't you do better than this.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: DaveS
Date: August 03, 2010 07:40PM
Pam
.... The country has short term memory issues.

And getting shorter - and less informed - daily
Posted by: Dakota
Date: August 03, 2010 07:50PM
What a bunch of knee jerk reactionaries. One post and out come the hacks in force. What are you defending? Every one of Obama's so called "accomplishments" are in fact one more nail in his political coffin. Every one of his initiatives are thoroughly despised by the people. Healthcare, energy, "bank" reform, immigration. I am sure you saw, and pretend you didn't, his ratings today. Start insulting the people.

After you discover you're riding a dead horse, your best strategy is to dismount.
Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: August 03, 2010 07:56PM
Oh, lordy. Dakota the populist. Yikes!
Date: August 03, 2010 08:06PM
Dakota
What a bunch of knee jerk reactionaries. One post and out come the hacks in force. What are you defending? Every one of Obama's so called "accomplishments" are in fact one more nail in his political coffin...

The irony...
Posted by: bfd
Date: August 03, 2010 08:08PM
He'll be writing prose for Hallmark before you know it.
Posted by: Grace62
Date: August 03, 2010 08:28PM
Dakota
What a bunch of knee jerk reactionaries. One post and out come the hacks in force. What are you defending? Every one of Obama's so called "accomplishments" are in fact one more nail in his political coffin. Every one of his initiatives are thoroughly despised by the people. Healthcare, energy, "bank" reform, immigration. I am sure you saw, and pretend you didn't, his ratings today. Start insulting the people.

Ronald Reagan's 1982 approval ratings: 40 to 43%

1984 election results: Reagan re-elected by a landslide.

Keep counting those proverbial political coffin nails.
Date: August 03, 2010 08:47PM
If Republicans admired Reagan as much as Obama does we'd be in better shape. Every time you turn around someone is saying Obama is Reagan. Obama couldn't get hired as a third rate clerk in the Reagan White House. The man is at his best when he does standup.

After you discover you're riding a dead horse, your best strategy is to dismount.
Date: August 03, 2010 08:56PM
I can't imagine what you must really think of Bush, Reagan and Palin then...
Date: August 03, 2010 09:01PM
Obama couldn't get hired as a third rate clerk in the Reagan White House.

Fortunate for him that he is the duly elected President of the United States of America, then, isn't it?

So why wait any longer - your dream job at the White House awaits.

That is, if you're qualified; you are qualified, aren't you, fellow patriot?
Date: August 03, 2010 09:05PM
Come back when you have added to your grand total of 16 posts.

Posted by: decay
Date: August 03, 2010 09:40PM
only blame Bush for what he put into motion, both by action and inaction.

examples:

Katrina response
ill-planned invasion backed by faulty intelligence
"No Child Left Behind" disaster

---
Date: August 03, 2010 10:47PM
Come back when you have added to your grand total of 16 posts.

Oh, my - such rapier-sharp wit, such scathing badinage! I feel faint - you certainy have put me in my place, haven't you?

So just to clarify - before I run off with my tail between my legs to avoid more of your surgically-accurate repartee - how many posts will I have to make before you'll consider me a real man, daddy?

Because I so desperately need the validation only you can provide, Da-da-kota!

And one more thing: do you mean that I need to submit substantive, insightful posts like yours?

You know - the sort of posts that are filled with weighty, profound content, explaining your positions with a patience and clarity borne of your hard-researched, fact-based convictions and indicating a firm grasp of the issues about which you enlighten us, replete with sufficient documentation to refute any doubters?

Or do you mean that I should simply fill every thread with post after post of the sort of knee-jerk, baseless drivel you regurgitate ad nauseum and ad infinitum at the bidding of your masters?

Because if it's the latter, I may not have to cry myself to sleep tonight.
Date: August 03, 2010 10:49PM
This makes it 17.

Date: August 03, 2010 11:01PM
Wow, another zinger - you never disappoint, do you?

You must have a team of writers on call 24-7 to come up with such bard-worthy material on such short notice.

Now, I'm betting that even a pathetic cariacature like you can answer this puzzler:

What comes after seventeen?

I await what will doubtless be yet another delightful response with bated breath.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 04, 2010 07:54AM
Ignoring the playground bullying and whining in the interim, I'll generally agree with JPK. And yet the President is pandering to the desires of the American people (and the fifth estate)... We always want someone to 'blame' for bad things happening to us. It's easier to get voters to hate than it is to get them to love, so blaming 'the Republicans' or 'Bush' for Bad Stuff is easier than saying "Love me.. I done good for you !"

After 9/11 there was a lot of blame thrown at Clinton... mostly for missing Osama when he cruise-missiled the base.

I wish politicians would push their ideals instead of sling mud, but we tend to get campaigns we deserve.

I personally blame Grover Cleveland for the ills of the world.
Posted by: billb
Date: August 04, 2010 08:14AM
wow, 14 posts to blame Reagan.
Dennis must be washing his underwear.

Aren't teens thanking Clinton with emulation ?
After all, @#$%& aren't sex ...
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: August 04, 2010 08:17AM
billb
wow, 14 posts to blame mention Reagan.

Unless she was blaming Reagan for getting re-elected.
Posted by: davester
Date: August 04, 2010 08:27AM
seeing.the.unseeable
And one more thing: do you mean that I need to submit substantive, insightful posts like yours?

You know - the sort of posts that are filled with weighty, profound content, explaining your positions with a patience and clarity borne of your hard-researched, fact-based convictions and indicating a firm grasp of the issues about which you enlighten us, replete with sufficient documentation to refute any doubters?

Or do you mean that I should simply fill every thread with post after post of the sort of knee-jerk, baseless drivel you regurgitate ad nauseum and ad infinitum at the bidding of your masters?

Could be sig material if it wasn't so long. I don't think you're going to reach him. He seems to come from a culture in which being ignorant makes you "one of the boys" and being educated identifies you as a reviled pointy-headed liberal.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: August 04, 2010 09:08AM
Hey Higgins, go fix that oil leak. I can see it from here.

Posted by: Don Kiyoti
Date: August 04, 2010 11:39AM
cbelt3
Ignoring the playground bullying and whining in the interim, I'll generally agree with JPK. And yet the President is pandering to the desires of the American people (and the fifth estate)... We always want someone to 'blame' for bad things happening to us. It's easier to get voters to hate than it is to get them to love, so blaming 'the Republicans' or 'Bush' for Bad Stuff is easier than saying "Love me.. I done good for you !"

After 9/11 there was a lot of blame thrown at Clinton... mostly for missing Osama when he cruise-missiled the base.

I wish politicians would push their ideals instead of sling mud, but we tend to get campaigns we deserve.

I personally blame Grover Cleveland for the ills of the world.

cbelt3, I'll agree to the extent that invoking Bush isn't going to win Obama any new supporters or cooperation from Congress. However: what he's saying is essentially true. The problems he's trying to deal with were a long time in the making and won't be solved by him or anyone else in 18 months, or 4 years, or 8 years. Obama looks much farther down the road than his predecessor (and most of the electorate).

It isn't as simple as Obama blaming Bush. To solve a problem you must understand the problem and that includes how the problem came to be. When I hear Obama talking about "failed policies" I understand this is where he's coming from and that he's not simply trying to pass the buck.

[picasaweb.google.com] [www.flickr.com]
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 04, 2010 12:27PM
Don..

All well and true. As the old saw goes, those who fail (to understand) History are doomed to Repeat it.

BUT... the talking heads in this country think it's the blame game. And the first rule of speaking is 'know your audience'. So I would hope that the President would simply speak about his plans as they stand, rather than as they compare to the plans of his predecessor.
Date: August 04, 2010 12:57PM
Don Kiyoti
[The problems he's trying to deal with were a long time in the making and won't be solved by him or anyone else in 18 months, or 4 years, or 8 years.

Time is not going to help him. He has nothing in the works to need time. He has fired all his bullets. Nothing there.

Date: August 04, 2010 01:10PM
Dakota
...He has fired all his bullets. Nothing there.

Kinda like all your arguments...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 171
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020