advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
There is a mosque INSIDE a building hit on 9/11
Posted by: beagledave
Date: August 07, 2010 10:16PM
Really! Not a mile away, not two blocks away, but INSIDE a 9/11 target.

Does nobody in the conservative blogosphere care?

Where are the protests? Where are Sarah Palin and Newt Gingrich?

Oh..that's right. It's only the Pentagon.

[www.salon.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: There is a mosque INSIDE a building hit on 9/11
Posted by: Greg
Date: August 07, 2010 10:47PM
Well, this is the first time I've ever presumed to speak on behalf of the conservative blogosphere, but I'll give it a shot.

The objections are because of what occurred on 9/11/2001, and because this would be a new structure, so close to the site of the tragedy. So, there were no grounds for similar objections before that date, nor to any structure or facility that already exists.

Or I'm missing something...always a possibility.
Date: August 08, 2010 10:46AM
But it's not the building (brick and mortar), it's what and WHO is inside the building that is bothersome to the right..correct?

As the article mentions

"Army Chaplain Abdul-Rasheed Muhammad, the first Muslim chaplain to serve in the military, read a verse from the Koran at the memorial service at the Pentagon on Thursday, exactly one month after the attack. Muhammad, who became a chaplain eight years ago and works at Walter Reed Medical Center in Washington, ministered to rescuers in front of the smoldering Pentagon after the attack."

Either having Islamic practices and leaders at a 9/11 site is a "desecration" or it's not.
Posted by: davester
Date: August 08, 2010 11:14AM
It's George W Bush who framed this as a holy war ("a crusade") of islam vs christianity. He did a grave disservice to the US and the world by doing this. Rather than pursue bin Laden and his band of Saudi outlaws who were trying to oust the US from its position of undue influence in the middle east, he polarized the christian and muslim communities. This isn't so very different from his attempts to falsely conflate 9/11 and Iraq.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Dakota
Date: August 08, 2010 12:00PM
beagledave
But it's not the building (brick and mortar), it's what and WHO is inside the building that is bothersome to the right..correct?

I personally don't care much but looking at pre-9/11 and post-9/11 world the same is your downfall. It is like saying there were Japanese ships at Pearl Harbor before Dec. 7 so they could have brought them back a few years later.

After you discover you're riding a dead horse, your best strategy is to dismount.
Date: August 08, 2010 12:07PM
Dakota
beagledave

I personally don't care much but looking at pre-9/11 and post-9/11 world the same is your downfall. It is like saying there were Japanese ships at Pearl Harbor before Dec. 7 so they could have brought them back a few years later.

So why is it OK to have Islamic leaders leading muslim prayer services INSIDE the Pentagon..POST 9/11?

Why aren't the same folks who are bothered by Islamic leaders and activities 2 blocks away from a 9/11 site NOT bothered by Islamic leaders and activities INSIDE a 9/11 site. A site that also happens to be the very center for all of our military planning and organization?
Posted by: Dakota
Date: August 08, 2010 12:17PM
Visibility perhaps? There are moslem chaplains in the military too. Actually, it doesn't look like it is that close to the 9/11 site anyway. Another question is if it is going to look like a mosque or just a tall building. That makes a difference too. I think they should let them build it but the city and the Feds should enforce anti-discrimination laws that I am sure they have in abundance. There are moves to picket the construction site. It will be very difficult to work there. The stigma is just too much.

After you discover you're riding a dead horse, your best strategy is to dismount.
Posted by: Pops
Date: August 10, 2010 08:37AM
davester
It's George W Bush who framed this as a holy war ("a crusade") of islam vs christianity. He did a grave disservice to the US and the world by doing this. Rather than pursue bin Laden and his band of Saudi outlaws who were trying to oust the US from its position of undue influence in the middle east, he polarized the christian and muslim communities. This isn't so very different from his attempts to falsely conflate 9/11 and Iraq.
That is it in a nutshell.
Posted by: Trouble
Date: August 10, 2010 07:24PM
davester
It's George W Bush who framed this as a holy war ("a crusade") of islam vs christianity.

No he didn't. Not even close. Just because he used the word "crusade" once (as far as I know) off the cuff doesn't mean that he framed or conducted the war as if it were against Islam. That opinion is disingenuous at best and stupid at worst. President Bush repeatedly said that the war on Terror wasn't on Islam. The cited article reported actions proves that.

davester
he polarized the christian and muslim communities.

I'd put that blame on the press.
Posted by: davester
Date: August 11, 2010 06:17PM
Trouble
Just because he used the word "crusade" once (as far as I know) off the cuff

Off the cuff? Horseshit! He used it in the state of the union address, the same one in which he introduced us to the Axis of Evil (I suppose you think that inflammatory idiocy was off the cuff too). If you think the "crusade" comment was off the cuff I have a bridge to sell you.

Trouble
doesn't mean that he framed or conducted the war as if it were against Islam. That opinion is disingenuous at best and stupid at worst. President Bush repeatedly said that the war on Terror wasn't on Islam.

That was the official position, just as the official position was that Iraq was not connected with 9/11. However, he and Cheney continually gave speeches that deeply insinuated that this was a holy war and linking 9/11 with Iraq. Only the later official explanations had the "no, he really didn't mean that" language. Classic propaganda method.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2010 06:18PM by davester.
Posted by: Trouble
Date: August 11, 2010 07:52PM
davester
Trouble
Just because he used the word "crusade" once (as far as I know) off the cuff

Off the cuff? Horseshit! He used it in the state of the union address,

I'm calling horseshit! Here is that SotU [archives.cnn.com]

and 'crusade' isn't in there. I did a little searching and looked at some VERY left wing sites and every quote of President Bush saying 'crusade' was that single time when he stepped of the helicopter.

davester
the same one in which he introduced us to the Axis of Evil (I suppose you think that inflammatory idiocy was off the cuff too).

And he was right about those three countries.

davester
That was the official position, just as the official position was that Iraq was not connected with 9/11. However, he and Cheney continually gave speeches that deeply insinuated that this was a holy war and linking 9/11 with Iraq. Only the later official explanations had the "no, he really didn't mean that" language. Classic propaganda method.

Cites with quotes. I didn't see him do anything of the sort. The President and Veep correctly stated the links between Al Qaeda with Saddam
Posted by: $tevie
Date: August 12, 2010 09:49AM
To return to the OP, there is an unfortunate tendency on the part of New Yorkers (and many others) to act as if "9/11" was all about the WTC and as if the other planes never even existed. So they probably do NOT care if there is Muslim worship in the Pentagon, since they don't seem to recognize that there was death and destruction in that building on the very same day.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 225
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020