advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $108.00 ( +1.02 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How much snow will it take to collapse my roof?
Posted by: jimbrady
Date: January 27, 2011 05:54AM
Seriously. Just got another foot up there last night. I can't figure a way to get it down--should I hire someone to clear it off? Am I just being a worry-wart? I believe the roof is in decent structural condition... any advice?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How much snow will it take to collapse my roof?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 27, 2011 06:31AM
Depends on where you live. If you live where they get lots of snow then your home is built to hold the snow (assuming your local units of government have regulations - just check the political party in power and how long it has been in power and you'll know if you have building codes designed to protect you or the developer.)

My home is built to withstand 54 lbs. per sq/ft or about 10 inches of water. Very wet snow is about equal to 2.5 inches of rain per foot of snow. Very wet. Your snow is perhaps going to be half that because you mention "another foot" which indicates you live in an area where the snow stays awhile and thus is colder so it won't be very wet.

My roof will handle about four feet of wet snow and eight feet of typical snow. It has about six inches right now (central Minnesota, it blows off, no real thaw since November.)

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: January 27, 2011 06:33AM
Worry about it when the old-timers in the area start removing snow from their roofs.

Ask the local building inspectors - they should know about snow-loads.

Google the problem.

Mr. Curmudgeon, on Mavericks.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 27, 2011 06:46AM
Speedy has it.

To remove the snow, you can use a 'roof rake', or call local roofing companies... I expect they will do snow removal as a winter side job.

I personally raked snow off my roof at our old house when we had three feet of heavy wet snow up there, and the roof began creaking. I built a snow rake by bolting four pieces of EMT together and attaching a homemade 'rake' to the top- a piece of thin plywood that acted as a scraper blade.

The real fun is standing there while a whole lotta buncha snow falls just in front of you... or on your head if you stand in the wrong place.
Posted by: tronnei
Date: January 27, 2011 08:41AM

How much snow will it take to collapse my roof?

Another inch should do it.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: January 27, 2011 09:00AM
What is the pitch of your roof? A steeper pitch will handle snow much better than a roof with a lesser pitch.

[www.ehow.com]

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 27, 2011 09:11AM
A roof 'rake' is not really advised because you can easily damage your roof. Better this type of device:

It will slide under the snow and then the snow will slide down it (right into your face unless you have a very long handle.) Probably not something easily homemade. The plastic slide could be made from a child's smooth plastic sheet sled but the head would be difficult to make and then buying handles will put you right up to what this device costs - $120:

[www.reelmowersetc.com]

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: blooz
Date: January 27, 2011 10:09AM
I wish I could get to my roof—I'd like to get that ice off.
I'm afraid I'll disappear in the snowbank and not be found til June.
Note to self: put up flashing next summer.

Be here now. Be someplace else later. Is that so complicated?
Zen is not easy. It takes effort to attain nothingness. And then what do you have? Bupkes.

Western Massachusetts
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 27, 2011 05:04PM
....it only takes.....one more snowflake than it can take....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login