Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $100.86 ( -0.77 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I just saw my first instance of Lion's Automatic Termination
Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 04, 2011 11:03AM
It's a process whereby Lion asks a running app if it's OK to instantly kill it in order to free up resources for something else, which I interpret to essentially mean "make available RAM and/or CPU." If the app gives the OK, the app quits without your knowledge. Details here and elsewhere: [arstechnica.com]

In my case it was Numbers. I had been working on a simple spreadsheet, did some other stuff and when I switched back to Numbers and it was "gone," not running. I'd not explicitly saved my document, ever.

This isn't the equivalent of a crash and the document wasn't lost because it was auto-saved and auto-resumed eventually. Which is a "good" thing since it wasn't available in the Open Recent menu when I re-launched Numbers. Small panic until the doc's window appeared by itself.

All of this works, and frankly, iPhone users are used to something very similar.

What's most interesting to me is that my Mac seems to be keeping itself running better than it would if I always left everything open and running---which I have a history of doing until the thing's about to implode and become a beach ball-spinning paperweight---at the cost of having to manually re-launch an app occasionally I didn't quit. I'll take that deal.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I just saw my first instance of Lion's Automatic Termination
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: August 04, 2011 11:07AM
deckeda
What's most interesting to me is that my Mac seems to be keeping itself running better than it would if I always left everything open and running---which I have a history of doing until the thing's about to implode and become a beach ball-spinning paperweight---at the cost of having to manually re-launch an app occasionally I didn't quit. I'll take that deal.

And the cherry on top is that if you end up stuck with that beach ball-spinning paperweight in Lion, the OS supposedly catches on and automatically restarts the machine! I'm still waiting for an eyewitness account of this phenomenon, however.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: MacArtist
Date: August 04, 2011 11:08AM
How much RAM is in your computer, Deckeda?

Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 04, 2011 11:34AM
4GB installed but this is one of those GMA950 Macs (a 1.86GHz mini) that only can use 3.3GB.

Then again, Activity Monitor pie chart claims 3.0 GB.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: August 04, 2011 11:38AM

Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 04, 2011 11:46AM
yeah, its pretty cool stuff. i'm glad someone at apple is thinking about such basic things.

VTPKL it!
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 04, 2011 11:50AM
mattkime
yeah, its pretty cool stuff. i'm glad someone at apple is thinking about such basic things.

is it cool or basic?
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: August 04, 2011 12:01PM
space-time
mattkime

is it cool or basic?

I think one of the principles of good design is that it's both.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Buzz
Date: August 04, 2011 12:15PM
Switcher, MultiFinder, "preemptive multitasking." Flashing back twenty years ago, or so...

Auto-resumption w/ both a last saved, and then-in-use copies would be palatable, as well as a user designated order in which the big cat would munch the open apps when he got hungry... perhaps a dock based pop up list based on a user pre-configured order, that is also dragable to reflect current session desires.

///
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 04, 2011 01:07PM
.....did it reach TERMINAL velocity.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login