Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $111.78 ( -0.87 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Sears Going Out of Business sale - blah
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 03, 2012 03:52AM
So the local Sears is being closed and the going out of business sale has begun. It appears to under control of the same company that has shuttered other box stores like Circuit City.

The posted sales are less than what Sears routinely has in their newspaper ads. Appliances 20% MSRP, TV's 15% off MSRP, Tools 10% off etc...

Signs at all entrances that advertised sales are not available due to the liquidation.

In other words, utter waste of time.

You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands...
- For example, if they are wrapped around your throat she's probably slightly upset.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Sears Going Out of Business sale - blah
Posted by: zero
Date: March 03, 2012 06:03AM
Went to Sears that is also closing. Same deal... appliances were pretty much the same cost as what could be found new at sears.com
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 03, 2012 07:58AM
......wow what a SEARing review of the close out sale [true but still SEARing]....

....seems to be a pattern....none of the chains going out of business sales have had any 'great' deals......they seem to be a thing of the past.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2012 08:02AM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 03, 2012 09:47AM
So, they contract out to a company, and they probably take a split on the proceeds that's either above or below whatever they would have made by themselves. Doesn't matter either way, it gets charged off as a loss. Nevermind what the customer has to pay.

All unnecessary complications: that's how you know they have no idea what they're doing, that it was inertia keeping them afloat.
Posted by: GGD
Date: March 03, 2012 10:38AM
And in addition to prices that aren't great, they usually have an "All Sales Final, No Returns" notice too.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: March 03, 2012 12:48PM
I hate to sound b*tchy, but EVERY time a chain goes out of business we see threads about how there are no deals to be found. Obviously "going out of business" sales are NOT where you are going to find bargains, so quit beating your heads against the wall.

Posted by: hal
Date: March 03, 2012 02:01PM
Yeah, the old days of true 'EVERYTHING MUST GO!!' sales are gone. Ask anyone that's thrown one of those sales and they'll tell you that those were the best sale days in the history of the biz.

"gee, if only I could turn this into a business model..." and someone DID - kinda.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 03, 2012 04:52PM
There are more than a few furniture stores along the main drag near where I work that have "Going out of business" signs in the window. The thing is, those signs have been up for three or four years now.

It is what it is.
Posted by: richorlin
Date: March 03, 2012 08:29PM
I got some great deals when my local CompUSA and Circuit City stores closed several years ago.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 03, 2012 10:19PM
$tevie
I hate to sound b*tchy, but EVERY time a chain goes out of business we see threads about how there are no deals to be found. Obviously "going out of business" sales are NOT where you are going to find bargains, so quit beating your heads against the wall.

Sure, but the historical expectation is that they would accept *any deal* in order to get rid of inventory. Quaint, I know. That hasn't been the case for many years.

For example in the late '80s, there was a midwestern stereo chain (the name escapes me, started with a "C") that brought in a lot of weird, cheap @#$%& (but high profit ... ) in order to go out of business. It was lower quality than their normal inventory but allowed them to discount it much more. It's an odd circumstance.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 79
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 322 on December 17, 2014