The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $102.09 ( +2.33 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Silverlight fans?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: March 05, 2012 12:04AM
Use, or avoid?
Compelling reasons pro and con appreciated.
Thanks.

///
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Silverlight fans?
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: March 05, 2012 12:29AM
> Compelling reasons pro and con appreciated...

No worse than Flash...
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: March 05, 2012 12:57AM
Use.

Date: March 05, 2012 01:26AM
I do not know any fans" of it as such. It is just another streaming protocol designed to allow the providers to stuff commercials in the feed, possibly make recording more difficult, and possibly collect some data on you. It seems to work okay.

in tha 510.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: March 05, 2012 05:47AM
Buzz,

Filliam nailed it. NEtflix uses Silverlight for its streaming video. I'm not sure who else uses it off thetop of my head.

Robert
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 05, 2012 06:55AM
might as well be called MS Flash. considering that, its surprisingly popular in that for the most part people don't hate it.

VTPKL it!
Posted by: kj4btkljv
Date: March 05, 2012 08:35AM
It runs in the background for me, streaming Netflix content. They must use it for some form of DRM. Other than that, I wouldn't even be able to tell it's on my machines.

Jeff
Posted by: decay
Date: March 05, 2012 10:22AM
current version is Silverlight 5 (5.0.61118.0)

[www.microsoft.com]

---
I buy records. Getting rid of some? Let me know.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: March 05, 2012 01:31PM
Baby Buzz has it on his Mini, and needs it for some school related content, but our DSL has been acting up lately, and periodically drops service. We just got a new DSL modem from the provider, and when the connection is up, it is faster than w/ the old DSL modem which was very problematic, so still gotta deal w/ our ISP. In the mean time, every time the DSL modem drops, Silverlight resets to the beginning of the video segment... most are 2-3 minutes long, but some are 6-8 minutes, and it's a pain in the butt to deal with. The kid wants to put Silverlight on one of the MBP's, and connect to the wifi via the cable modem. The MBP isn't his yet, so I didn't want him installing stuff on it, especially stuff that might "phone home" or invite unwanted content to the party... I guess I should hope the ISP can clear up the DSL asap to stop his griping.

///
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login