Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $99.76 ( +2.09 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
New Scam - USPS
Posted by: mjgkramer
Date: March 23, 2012 11:42AM
I just received the following email supposedly from the USPS. When I clicked on and copied the link for the "www.usps.com/clicknship" hot link I got "[akkhealth.com]; which has nothing to do with the postal service. Do any of you know anything about this obvious scam?

---------------------------------------------

Gerard Lowe <USPS_Shipping_Services@usps.com
Your USPS shipment postage labels receipt.
March 23, 2012 8:32 AM

Acct #: 9177954

Dear client:

This is an email confirmation for your order of 2 online shipping label(s) with postage. We will charge you the following amount:

Transaction Number: #7520545
Print Date/Time: 03/11/2012 02:30 PM CST
Postage Amount: $26.38
Credit Card Number: XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX

Priority Mail Regional Rate Box B # 1309 6042 1129 6101 7009 (Sequence Number 1 of 1)

If you need further information, please log on to www.usps.com/clicknship and go to your Shipping History or visit our Frequently Asked Questions .

You can refund your unused postage labels up to 7 days after the issue date by logging on to your Click-N-Ship Account.

Thank you for choosing the United States Postal Service

Click-N-Ship: The Online Shipping Solution

Click-N-Ship has just made on line shipping with the USPS even better.

New Enhanced International Label and Customs Form: Updated Look and Easy to Use!

This is a post-only message
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: New Scam - USPS
Posted by: LaserKun
Date: March 23, 2012 11:46AM
Do NOT EVER click on links from emails. Or, even copy and paste them into browser. At least, I don't. I view ALL calls, mail, email, etc. as something I did not ask for - an intrusion into my privacy. I control if I want to invite the person into my home/phone/computer, etc. Anyway, I have not heard of the scam you mention - be careful!
Posted by: DavidS
Date: March 23, 2012 11:53AM
Usually, when a legit company sends you an email like this, it will have the actual last 4 digits of your credit card, not just XXXX.
Date: March 23, 2012 11:59AM
Wow, it even has correct grammar. The scammers are getting smarter.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: March 23, 2012 12:04PM
Forward it to the USPS scam guys (look it up)

Mr. Curmudgeon, on Mavericks.
Posted by: GGD
Date: March 23, 2012 12:12PM
Is it a Scam or just SPAM? I'm not going to click on the link, but if it's just some site selling stuff, then this might just be some way to get by SPAM filters by making it look more like a typical order confirmation email.

The more common usages of these type of email that I've seen have an enclosure that they want you do click on, which is usually a Window's .exe file that contains a Trojan horse.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: March 23, 2012 12:12PM
mjg,

I've gotten a slew of them from the USPS, PayPal, and even UPS as of late. Seems like the scammers are trying harder than ever to screw us.

Robert
Posted by: mjgkramer
Date: March 23, 2012 12:19PM
I did not paste the link into a browser. I pasted it into Text Edit to see what the real link was. I don't even click on links to stuff sent to me by friends.

Does anyone have the address of the USPS spam folks?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2012 12:20PM by mjgkramer.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: March 23, 2012 12:47PM
Just a new variant on an old theme. Fake order acknowledgements with links formatted to look like they go to one place and actually go elsewhere have been around for years.

As for who to contact, try here - [postalinspectors.uspis.gov].
Posted by: Black
Date: March 23, 2012 01:08PM
Link is dead but it seems more like someone trying to market @#$%& or other meds than a phishing attempt, based on the word "health" in the URL.

MR/F Guestmap: [www.mapservices.org]
Posted by: SteveO
Date: March 23, 2012 03:54PM
I get these and more daily. A side effect of having the same email address for 10+ years. SpamSieve catches about 99% of them, and I never click on them. If one happens to land in my inbox, I do a shift-select that doesn't involve me clicking on the actual message (instead I click on emails above and below the suspect one) and delete it that way. I don't trust any email that I know for a fact is not 100% legit.
Posted by: samintx
Date: March 23, 2012 06:37PM
Someone signed me up for Pay Later. My name and address and I must say PayPal was crappy about it Never has gotten back with me after filling out forms and sending them.

If I eventually get a bill again I'm going to the BBB and you can go to the BBB with your Scam/Spam
Posted by: AllGold
Date: March 25, 2012 02:56PM
It sure is annoying when a spam post gets deleted but the 1 new message won't go away. beware spam smileyoff the air smiley

Posted by: JoeH
Date: March 25, 2012 06:01PM
Well, your post took care of that annoyance. I reported the spam too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login