advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $97.67 ( +1.41 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Here's a bluegrass recommendation for y'all (speaking of Earl Scruggs)
Posted by: hal
Date: April 03, 2012 05:23PM
The Three Pickers (Earl Scruggs, Doc Watson and Ricky Skaggs) ($9.99 MP3 DL from Amazon)

I've been expanding my knowledge of Bluegrass the last few years and this is a nice one for beginners and hard core fans alike.

I've always HATED county music so it took a LONG time for me to come around to bluegrass - and to overlook Ricky Skaggs in the title. I knew nothing about him except that he was a country star, but he's a very likable guy, a damned good musician and extremely reverent to his elders in this show. AS HE SHOULD BE - because Doc Watson and Earl Scruggs are absolute legends. Scruggs invented the modern bluegrass banjo technique.

The three of them perform a wide variety of bluegrass. Some of it is old and rather corny, but WELL PLAYED and some of it is real ass kickin stuff. Watson and Scruggs are OLD here, but still masters.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Here's a bluegrass recommendation for y'all (speaking of Earl Scruggs)
Posted by: $tevie
Date: April 03, 2012 05:36PM
That seems CD-worthy to me! :-)

Posted by: hal
Date: April 03, 2012 06:00PM
While I'm sitting here NOT working (like I should be) - I've got another one...

Bluegrass isn't quite the word for it...

but The Pizza Tapes is a knock out!

For you anti-hippie types... don't let the Jerry Garcia name scare you away. This guy is a real bluegrass player. He was a bluegrass player before he was a dippy hippie. He and Grisman were lifelong friends and played magically together. Grisman is now one of the giants in bluegrass. He started out with Bill Monroe and went on to create his own subdivision of bluegrass (Dawg music). The two of them invite Tony Rice - longtime cohort of Grisman's (but he had never played with Garcia) and an absolute MONSTER of a guitarist. He can play all styles and there aren't many that can keep up with him.

The three of them are having a fun day in a home studio and are just letting it rip! A fun format to the recording - the guys kinda noodle into the songs and talk about them before and after. The highlight is an incredible version of Shady Grove. They can barely contain themselves as the last chord fades away - they KNOW that they just nailed this one and congratulations all around.

It's a lot of fun and it great music... [www.amazon.com]
Posted by: kj
Date: April 03, 2012 06:28PM
Ricky Skaggs really is a top notch guy and musician. I've come to realize country music is full of great musicians, even though I don't care for a lot of it. Lots of years ago, I saw Albert Lee perform "Country Boy", which blew me away. Not long after, I heard the Ricky Skaggs version, which caused me to develop an interest in country/bluegrass, at least every once in a while.

I'll have to give this a listen. Back in the late 80's I got hooked on "Old and in the way". I probably listened to it for a month straight in my car, on cassette. I've never really liked the Grateful Dead much, but I can certainly appreciate Garcia's talent. kj.
Posted by: M>B>
Date: April 03, 2012 07:18PM
Here is a highly rated quite good disk...

[www.amazon.com]

If you like live music this is a very good festival...

[www.strawberrymusic.com]
Posted by: rankandfile
Date: April 03, 2012 08:57PM
In 1981, my wife and I saw Doc Watson at The Old Post Office on Hilton Head Island, SC. After the performance, my wife thought it would be a good idea to buy a bunch of Doc's new album, "Red Rocking Chair", as gifts for friends. We watched as Doc's son, Merle, guided Doc's hand to make his mark on the back of each album. When we gave our friends the presents, we took a lot of ribbing about who really made the "X" on the album. And, yeah, Doc was really something, and so was Merle.
Posted by: Kate
Date: April 04, 2012 12:04AM
Picky Ricky, he's great. I've loved his music for years, outstanding musician

Kate

[katesdisneycloset.blogspot.com]
[cholulared.blogspot.com]
[www.cholulared.com]
Posted by: john-o
Date: April 04, 2012 12:40AM
M>B>
Here is a highly rated quite good disk...

[www.amazon.com]

Classic!

If you like live music this is a very good festival...

[www.strawberrymusic.com]

Better yet (sorry, completely sold out already for this year; better get in line for next year! I live just 35 miles away):

[bluegrass.com]
Posted by: john-o
Date: April 04, 2012 12:42AM
...and if any of you are looking for more 'dawg music'/'newgrass' recommendations, let me know... I'm an addict!
Posted by: M>B>
Date: April 04, 2012 12:53AM
Whitch tickets are sold out? Not Strawberry!

Edit: It is a small festivel that sells just over 4000 tickets!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2012 12:54AM by M>B>.
Posted by: PeteJ
Date: April 04, 2012 09:56AM
Saw Ricky a couple of years ago...guest performer with the Boston Pops!

He is great. And, wow, can he play the mandolin!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login