Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $102.99 ( +0.52 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Levon Helm's cancer in final stages
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: April 17, 2012 05:29PM
I hate to be the bearer of so much bad music news. He's been canceling all his shows. It was on my bucket list to sit at a table with him in a bar in the Delta and hear him tell old stories.

[abcnews.go.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2012 05:33PM by Dennis S.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Levon Helm's cancer in final stages
Posted by: hal
Date: April 17, 2012 05:43PM
Someone posted this track by him here months ago: [www.youtube.com]

You won't be sad about his upcoming death once you hear this... great tune...

"It was on my bucket list to sit at a table with him in a bar in the Delta and hear him tell old stories."

get the film, "Festival Express" and you will have that moment with Levon that is as close to your dream as you will ever get...

[en.wikipedia.org]

Festival Express is a 2003 documentary film about the eponymous 1970 train tour across Canada taken by some of North America's most popular rock bands, including The Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin, The Band and Delaney & Bonnie & Friends.[1][2] The film combines live footage shot during the 1970 concerts, as well as footage aboard the train itself, interspersed with present-day interviews with tour participants sharing their often humorous recollections of the events.[3]

The film, released by THINKFilm, was produced by Gavin Poolman (son of the original 1970 film shoot's producer, Willem Poolman) together with John Trapman, and directed by double Grammy Award-winner Bob Smeaton (The Beatles Anthology), with music produced by Eddie Kramer (Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin), and features original footage shot in 1970 by Academy Award-winning cinematographer Peter Biziou (Mississippi Burning, Pink Floyd: The Wall, The Truman Show). The original 1970 footage was filmed by director Frank Cvitanovich. A DVD release followed the film's 2003 theatrical run.[3][4]
Posted by: M>B>
Date: April 17, 2012 06:00PM
Festival Express set in the can un-edited for 30 years then his son edited it. It was a nightmare to edit because the sound was not synchronized with the picture.

Great film!
Posted by: lost in space
Date: April 17, 2012 06:20PM
Sad. One of the giants in my book.
Posted by: finn
Date: April 17, 2012 09:56PM
I have been to Levon's Rambles three times. They are one of the best live music experiences out there. I am so sad that I won't ever see Levon on the drums at the barn again.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: April 17, 2012 11:54PM
I always wanted to go to a Ramble. I saw some pictures with some kids onstage playing drums and it looked like so much fun. I always wanted to do live shows with the audience members coming up and singing background or shaking tambourines or whatever. Can you imagine how good that would make a kid feel and how much more the crowd would enjoy things?
Posted by: Surfrider
Date: April 18, 2012 09:18AM
Got a chance to hang out with him a couple of times (one time showing off my new hot 55 chevy wagon) when he's come to Little Feat shows.

Great guy, will really be missed.

The book he wrote, can't remember the title right now, is very good.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login