advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $96.97 ( -0.06 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Single Malt Lovers: Where do you buy your Scotch?
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: April 26, 2012 09:45AM
I'm looking for a good, fairly well-stocked online source for single malts.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Single Malt Lovers: Where do you buy your Scotch?
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: April 26, 2012 09:58AM
BevMo?

It is what it is.
Date: April 26, 2012 09:59AM
N-OS X-tasy!
BevMo?

My brother in law who lives in the San Fran Bay Area mentioned BevMo. I'll check them out for sure, but just want to see if there are other sources people here use.

Thanks.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 26, 2012 10:17AM
....3M.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: freeradical
Date: April 26, 2012 10:27AM
Perhaps some sort of specialty grocer. In my area, Sacramento, I occasionally shop at Corti Bros, which is a family owned grocery store. They have an excellent selection of wines, brandies, liqueurs, etc from Italy and other European countries. The quality of these items is far superior to what BevMo has, and the staff/owners are knowledgable about what they're selling.
Date: April 26, 2012 10:31AM
freeradical
Perhaps some sort of specialty grocer. In my area, Sacramento, I occasionally shop at Corti Bros, which is a family owned grocery store. They have an excellent selection of wines, brandies, liqueurs, etc from Italy and other European countries. The quality of these items is far superior to what BevMo has, and the staff/owners are knowledgable about what they're selling.

We have something similar in Houston, Spec's (I can't search it from work as the site is blocked), but the last time we checked in their b&m stores, they didn't carry the particular Scotch I was looking for.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: April 26, 2012 10:34AM
freeradical

BevMo offers plenty of quality product and quite likely carries at least some of the same inventory as the store to which you refer. After all, Red Breast is Red Breast, regardless of where you purchase it.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: April 26, 2012 10:37AM
Costco sometimes has a modest, but impressive selection in store; mot sure what/if they have online.

FWIW, the outfits w/ a major online presence are best for rare vintages, because that's pretty much your only choice. For mainstream (current) bottlings, you're better off at a B&M. Our local supermatkets often have 30% off when you buy six 750ml bottles of anything... so you buy the three or four bottles of the good booze you want, and a couple of the cheapest bottles of rot-gut wine, to get the discount, then leave the rot-gut at the store, so you end up saving 27%. Good luck.

///
Date: April 26, 2012 10:46AM
Our Houston Costcos can't carry liquor (they carry wine and beer). However, there's a liquor store "connected" to the Costco but has no affiliation (no Costco membership required, etc.), though they use same/similar signage and without someone telling you one would assume that it's part of Costco (kinda weird, I know...must be due to some draconian Texas law).

But, they don't carry what I'm looking for. In case anybody's curious, I'm looking for Auchentoshan. Very smooth, not smoky and not too rich.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 26, 2012 11:02AM
from the Scotch store.

VTPKL it!
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: April 26, 2012 05:52PM
pinkoos
Very smooth, not smoky and not too rich.

You might want to try Irish whisky, then.

I'm sitting here in Dublin drinking a nice 18 year old Jameson reserve. The barley for Irish whisky is toasted using anthracite coal, instead of peat. Doesn't impart the smoky flavor that the peat gives scotch.
Date: April 27, 2012 09:29AM
Thanks, maybe I'll give that a shot. Is Irish whisky a blend?
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: April 27, 2012 11:35AM
pinkoos
Is Irish whisky a blend?

It comes in single malt & blends, just like scotch.
Date: April 27, 2012 11:37AM
The way Auchentoshan is described on Wikipedia makes it sounds like it's also made without peat. So, sounds like I should give Irish Whiskey a shot. Thanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login