advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $529.48 ( -2.22 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I'm "trying out" Lion… hmmm, interesting!
Posted by: GeneL
Date: April 30, 2012 02:46AM
Poll
Have you been using Lion?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
16 votes were received.
Yes, and I love it! (please post any tips you've learned)9

56%
Tried it and hated it!6

38%
I'll give it another chance…thanks!1

6%

I've held off using Lion after I installed it on one of my internal hard drives, several months ago. There were too many things that I encountered, when I first took it for a spin or that I read about, that I didn't like.

For one thing, the fact that my Apple modem doesn't work, when I'm booted to Lion, really pisses me off. I have two of these modems and they were expensive. I posted about this and it seemed that some of our tech savvy members felt that Apple could provide a software fix. To me, this is poor customer relations on Apple's part. sad smiley

I'm still wondering if there's a driver somewhere, that will allow the compatibility of this 32 bit modem with Lion's 64 bit requirement?

Anyway, Lion seems to grow on me.

I was surprised when, looking across the room a little while ago, I saw that my MacPro had crashed. The "panic announcement" appeared on the screen momentarily, a grey window shade dropped down over the screen and by itself, my computer shutdown and then rebooted!

Although, I wonder what caused the crash (it was just sitting idle with only Entourage open), I was amazed how Lion handled it.

There's a lot to get used to, but it does seem that apps open faster and Safari seems faster than in Snow Leopard.

One question about Safari, though, every so often when I open a page from a link, instead of just the one page, I'll end up with two tabs. The first one is blank and then the second is the page I wanted. In Preferences I have selected "Never" open new pages in tabs instead of windows, so I don't get why this happens. Any way to prevent it?

Oh! BTW, when I quit and then restart Safari, I find that windows from my last session have reopened. How is this controlled? I don't necessarily want this to happen.

As for the many new to me Lion features, it will take me a while to learn what's here, much less how to use them. I think it will be fun, though!

Wow! Another new one for me. When I was adding a poll just now, whatever I did inadvertently caused the webpage that I was working on to skitter off the screen to the right. For a moment it appeared that I had lost everything I was working on, but a left/cmd click brought me back to where I was. Phew!

Are the little surprises like this listed somewhere, so can get ahead of them?

Please post any tips that you've discovered for using Lion successfully. I'm sure that there have to be many.

Thanks for your thoughts!

gl @ Dana Point, CA

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2012 02:58AM by GeneL.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I'm "trying out" Lion… hmmm, interesting!
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 30, 2012 04:07AM
G5 so I can't try it. Not an option in your poll.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: iaJim
Date: April 30, 2012 06:14AM
Did your missing page go off the screen because you swiped it away on your trackpad?
Date: April 30, 2012 07:13AM
iaJim
Did your missing page go off the screen because you swiped it away on your trackpad?

Truthfully, I don't know what I did???

It was like…

…surprise, surprise!

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: Robert M
Date: April 30, 2012 07:18AM
Gene,

You left out a selection. "I have it and it is just another flavor of OS X with its good points and bad points". This is the option I would've taken if you'd listed it.

Robert
Posted by: modelamac
Date: April 30, 2012 07:35AM
Robert M
Gene,

You left out a selection. "I have it and it is just another flavor of OS X with its good points and bad points". This is the option I would've taken if you'd listed it.

Robert

Agree with Robert M. Just another flavor of X. Slower than SL on the same Mac. Missing some SL features I like a lot. Has some features that I wish were in SL. Mission Control and Launchpad are useless for me. Ho hum.

Mr. Curmudgeon, on Mountain Lion.
Posted by: DP
Date: April 30, 2012 08:19AM
Not special enough for me to go with it. I'll wait for ML and even then it'll be 10.8.3 or .4 before I load it.
Posted by: lazydays
Date: April 30, 2012 08:56AM
I agree with most of what has been said already.

Lion is slower than snow leopard
Mission control and launchpad are useless "for me"
All the new gestures are confusing and difficult, I disabled them as much as possible
Scroll bars are annoyingly small
Full screen is not as useful as I thought it would be, I think it was poorly implemented
Memory management is terrible, you pretty much have to install icleanmemory or you will have problems
Did I mention slow? Especially for user switching. Slow slow slow. My old laptop is way faster than my new laptop with Lion.
Skins on address book and ical are ridiculous. It's like nobody actually used them before shipping the product. Very ugly and confusing where it was simple and easy to use before.
Most of Lion appears to be change for the sake of change. I think they ran out of good ideas.
Posted by: rz
Date: April 30, 2012 09:27AM
You forgot to add the option of "No thanks, SL works perfectly fine for me"
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 30, 2012 09:30AM
I haven't experienced the speed concerns, or any other concerns for that matter.

these threads always attract people's laundry lists of complaints but people aren't as motivated to speak up and say "works fine for me!"

Lion is the Napoleon Dynamite of operating systems.

VTPKL it!
Posted by: Spock
Date: April 30, 2012 09:35AM
rz
You forgot to add the option of "No thanks, SL works perfectly fine for me"

+1

Comedy Central: Best news channel that isn't a news channel.

Fox News: Best comedy channel that isn't a comedy channel.
Posted by: mstudio
Date: April 30, 2012 10:16AM
mattkime

these threads always attract people's laundry lists of complaints but people aren't as motivated to speak up and say "works fine for me!"

Works fine for me.
Posted by: Manlove
Date: April 30, 2012 10:32AM
Been Lionised for about 2 weeks and haven't really noticed any big differences. I don't use LaunchPud or Mission Contrail, or fullscreen apps, which are the only really noticeable changes. I have left scrolling as it came and forced myself to relearn a lifetimes worth of finger gestures (!) on the off chance I ever get an iDevice.
I am in the cloud and using it fine- a bit miffed about losing iWeb/Me.com as a free website building/hosting service, but hey ho.
Basically not a big deal.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: April 30, 2012 10:43AM
Manlove,

Exactly. The only difference is I reverted scrolling back to old style. It works better for me, despite my regular use of an iPhone. I never use Lauchpad or mission control and full-screen. Heck, I forgot they're available to me.

I haven't noticed any speed issues. Still the same. Audio is just as flakey under 10.7 as it was under 10.6.x. Turn on bluetooth headset and audio doesn't switch to it more often than not. Same goes if I plug in plain ol' headsets. Very annoying.

At this point, the only thing I've lost is the use of a couple of powerpc apps. Fortunately, they've all been updated for intel and/or replaced entirely, i.e. dumped Appleworks in favor of Word for word processing, Indesign and Swift Publisher for layouts and Excel for spreadsheets.

You get the idea.

Robert
Posted by: M>B>
Date: April 30, 2012 11:26AM
It came installed on my new Mac. No support for Power PC apps. and utilities, it killed all my old time favorits.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: April 30, 2012 12:10PM
Manlove
...haven't really noticed any big differences...

Manlove
I have...forced myself to relearn a lifetimes worth of finger gestures (!)...

Seems to be a major self-contradiction in that post.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2012 12:10PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: Manlove
Date: April 30, 2012 01:41PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Manlove

Manlove

Not really. It was meant as a joke that I am so behind the technology curve that my working iPod is a Mini that I upgraded the hard drive in. No iDevices live here. This 2008 MBP is the first Mac I've had that has any sort of "gesturing" involved (but I've had Macs for 18 years or so), so hardly a lifetime!
Posted by: Buzz
Date: April 30, 2012 02:12PM
Manlove
N-OS X-tasy!
Manlove

Manlove

Not really. It was meant as a joke that I am so behind the technology curve that my working iPod is a Mini that I upgraded the hard drive in. No iDevices live here. This 2008 MBP is the first Mac I've had that has any sort of "gesturing" involved (but I've had Macs for 18 years or so), so hardly a lifetime!

N-OS X... c'mon, a nick of "Manlove" talking about a lifetime of finger gestures; that's funny stuff, especially while being able to work it into thread appropriateness.

///
Date: April 30, 2012 03:03PM
I am surprised that some of you are experiencing, "Slower than SL on the same Mac."

One of the reasons that I've been inspired to give Lion a longer test run, is that it is definitely "quicker" than Snow Leopard for me.

For me, Lion boots in a much shorter time than Snow Leopard.

I usually open Entourage right after the boot is complete and it's up and running much faster with Lion. Safari is opening and then loading pages at a speed that I haven't seen for years.

Overall, I have to say that I'm pleased with Lion's speed.

That said, I'm concerned about why Lion has crashed on me a number of times, when I left it "running at idle." It has happened three times now, and that's only since I began road testing Lion in the last week or so.

Any suggestions how to troubleshoot this issue? (I think that I'll post this as a separate topic)

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Date: April 30, 2012 04:36PM
>>That said, I'm concerned about why Lion has crashed on me a number of times, when I left it "running at idle." It has happened three times now, and that's only since I began road testing Lion in the last week or so.

those are difficult to troubleshoot. how frequently does it happen?

you'll need to find a log file somewhere

VTPKL it!
Date: April 30, 2012 05:27PM
mattkime
>>That said, I'm concerned about why Lion has crashed on me a number of times, when I left it "running at idle." It has happened three times now, and that's only since I began road testing Lion in the last week or so.

those are difficult to troubleshoot. how frequently does it happen?

you'll need to find a log file somewhere

So far, it has happened three times in the short period that I've been using Lion.

I kept a copy of the last panic report. Is it okay to post that information and will that help identify the problem?

Thanks, mattkime.

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Date: April 30, 2012 06:28PM
okay? its encouraged!

VTPKL it!
Posted by: haikuman
Date: April 30, 2012 06:52PM
The thing that irritates me the most is what Lion has done to dashboard.
It was so easy and functional in SL.

So far I have left Lion on my MBP. I have SL on my iMac.

For me the jury is still out. I am giving Lion an honest evaluation before I make a
decision about it.

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish"
Steve Jobs

"There are only two mantras yum and yuk mine is yum "
Bernard Mickey Wrangle<>Tom Robbins<> "Still Life With Woodpecker"

"There is a fine line between a rut and a groove"
G.D. Kittredge III

"

Date: April 30, 2012 07:42PM
mattkime
okay? its encouraged!

Matt, what do you mean?

gl @ Dana Point, CA
I'm trying out Lion, as well.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 30, 2012 09:17PM
Are the little surprises like this listed somewhere, so can get ahead of them?

As Lion has been out a while now, the various tweaks are old news. But if you Google, sites like Macworld and others while have had articles on changes and tweaks.

Locations of "fixes" aren't always obvious, but they're around. It seems as though somebody at Apple has re-thought what makes for an intuitive OS and GUI and some things have been changed.

For instance, the scrolling is opposite of years past, as you've no doubt found by now. It's the same as that on iOS devices, and to me, that makes sense. The new scrolling reminds me of sliding a sheet of paper up or "away" from you as you read down the material. But old habits are hard to break. Somewhere in the OS, Apple allows you to switch it back.

Unless somebody posts some answers to your question, you'll need to befriend Google.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

Pixels were born to be punished. -Frederick Van Johnson

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Re: I'm trying out Lion, as well.
Date: April 30, 2012 09:40PM
Thanks for the comments, RAMd®d.

I have done a bit of searching for info, but I always like to hear what my "buds" on the forum are doing.

Anyone got an idea about the crashes?

Should I post that question separately along with the Panic Report?

It seemed strange to me, that the crashes occurred when either only one app was open (Entourage) or there were no apps were open, except for the OS, of course.

I bought a Magic Trackpad to use with Lion when I upgraded, but I'm not very comfortable using it. My experiences with laptop trackpads haven't inspired me to like using them. I know that a lot of you are using laptop models with trackpads, so it's probably easier for you to adapt.

I'm wondering if I could get used to "gesturing" with my left hand and then using my mouse as usual? The question really is whether using gestures adds enough over just using a mouse to make it worthwhile to work on doing it?

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: Rolando
Date: April 30, 2012 10:22PM
I'm increasingly frustrated with how slow my Mac is with Lion. Probably will go back next time i have a day off. I have A Snow Leopard backup ready to be cloned back to the internal. I can boot from it, and Snow Leopard feels about the same...booting from USB!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Date: April 30, 2012 11:43PM
Rolando
I'm increasingly frustrated with how slow my Mac is with Lion. Probably will go back next time i have a day off. I have A Snow Leopard backup ready to be cloned back to the internal. I can boot from it, and Snow Leopard feels about the same...booting from USB!

Once again, I'm surprised to hear that Lion is slow.

The one factor that inspired me to work on using this new OS, is how fast everything has been.

I don't know if it's because I'm using the original drive that came with my MacPro or if Lion uses memory (12GB) more effectively or if it's because I wiped the drive and have far fewer files on this drive than I had on my Snow Leopard drive, but every function seems faster.

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: testcase
Date: May 01, 2012 12:22PM
More choices needed. I've been using Lion for a while now. August, 2009 Unibody 17" MBP, 3.06 GHz, 4GB RAM, 10.7.3. Far too many slowdowns, failure of OS to "reclaim" / free up RAM. If there are too many "poorly written" applications out in the wild, Apple should block them (and include the appropriate error message so that the sucker that paid user of said app, can contact the author and advise them exactly why the app won't run.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login