advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $102.47 ( +2.71 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Hal, Kate, Grateful 11: tonight, drink some coffee and then grab your SX40 and go out to shoot the ...
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 05, 2012 07:47AM
SuperMoon. But wait, if you drink too much coffee better grab the tripod too

Look! Up in the sky! It's Supermoon! Due Saturday

[www.google.com]

NEW YORK (AP) — The biggest and brightest full moon of the year arrives Saturday night as our celestial neighbor passes closer to Earth than usual.
But don't expect any "must-have-been-a-full-moon" spike in crime or crazy behavior. That's just folklore.
Saturday's event is a "supermoon," the closest and therefore the biggest and brightest full moon of the year. At 11:34 p.m., the moon will be about 221,802 miles from Earth. That's about 15,300 miles closer than average.
That proximity will make the moon appear about 14 percent bigger than it would if the moon were at its farthest distance, said Geoff Chester of the U.S. Naval Observatory. The difference in appearance is so small that "you'd be very hard-pressed to detect that with the unaided eye," he said.
The moon's distance from Earth varies because it follows an elliptical orbit rather than a circular one.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Hal, Kate, Grateful 11: tonight, drink some coffee and then grab your SX40 and go out to shoot the ...
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 05, 2012 08:04AM
The difference in appearance is so small that "you'd be very hard-pressed to detect that with the unaided eye," he said.

Hence the name supermoon.

Can't wait.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

Pixels were born to be punished. -Frederick Van Johnson

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Re: Hal, Kate, Grateful 11: tonight, drink some coffee and then grab your SX40 and go out to shoot the ...
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: May 05, 2012 08:49AM
With the $299 deal at Fry's, I have now drank the Kool-Aid.

Does anyone have suggestions for a protective lens filter?

It looks like I need an adapter, then a 67mm filter, the npossibly a new lens cap?

What kind of filter, circular polarizing?

Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2012 09:29AM by Ken Sp..
Posted by: blooz
Date: May 05, 2012 09:25AM
Hmph. Partly cloudy forecast for here tonight. Maybe we'll get lucky and the part that's not cloudy will be at moonrise.

Be here now. Be someplace else later. Is that so complicated?
Zen is not easy. It takes effort to attain nothingness. And then what do you have? Bupkes.

Western Massachusetts
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: May 05, 2012 10:00AM
I'm ready! My SX40 and the Dolica tripod I got for Christmas is waiting in the wing.
They are calling for rain so that might hamper things but we need rain so bad I'm
not going to complain about it. I'm going to do a lot of experimentation with settings.
I'm definitely going to be using my shutter timer.

Grateful11
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: May 05, 2012 10:04AM
Ken Sp.

It looks like I need an adapter, then a 67mm filter, the npossibly a new lens cap?

Thanks.

Ken try here:

[www.lensmateonline.com]

Grateful11
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: May 05, 2012 10:32AM
Grateful11
Ken Sp.

Thanks.

Ken try here:

[www.lensmateonline.com]

"Grate" info-thanks. I'll wait a week til in stock.
Posted by: Black
Date: May 05, 2012 10:57AM
But don't expect any "must-have-been-a-full-moon" spike in crime or crazy behavior. That's just folklore.

I've met lots of intelligent and level-headed psych and E.R. nurses over the years who would disagree strongly.

MR/F Guestmap: [www.mapservices.org]
Posted by: Buzz
Date: May 05, 2012 11:01AM
Ken Sp.

Thanks.

Additionally, in case you didn't read between the lines, a stock 52mm filter will work in the interim. I have 52mm's in every flavor (and then some) from the Nikon film days, and they work OK. I tend to shoot fairly well zoomed, so I haven't noticed any vignetting. The Lensmate is the way to go for the long haul, *but* neither a direct 52mm filter or the Lensmate adapter for the SX40 is as good as the Lensmate's screw on tube version adapter for the earlier megazooms.

///
Posted by: Fred_Also
Date: May 05, 2012 11:02AM
Here's one I took last night. SX40 on a tripod.

Fred
Posted by: mstudio
Date: May 05, 2012 11:05AM
Nice, tonight's will be 14% nicer, right?
Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 05, 2012 11:10AM
I don't think you need any sort of filter to photograph the moon, but you need to remember that it's a bright object.

According to these recommendations for shooting the moon, a full moon is exposure value 15 at ISO 100.

[www.weatherscapes.com]
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 05, 2012 08:45PM
Black

I've met lots of intelligent and level-headed psych and E.R. nurses over the years who would disagree strongly.

And bartenders. I'm not joking.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login