advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $99.76 ( +2.09 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Recommend a wireless Airprint laser printer/copier/scanner please...
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: August 16, 2012 09:39PM
Looking for a compact laser printer with...

WiFi;
Airprint;
Copier and scanner functions; and
Auto-feed for small copy runs.

...For my mom.

"Not a lot of money" would be a nice feature, too. :-)

'Anything good for under $300?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Recommend a wireless Airprint laser printer/copier/scanner please...
Posted by: kj4btkljv
Date: August 16, 2012 09:42PM
I think HP is the only game in town that offers built-in Airprint services on their printers, no?

Jeff
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: August 16, 2012 10:00PM
[support.apple.com]
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: August 16, 2012 10:12PM
You can use Airprint Activator to make any printer work with AirPrint - assuming your mother also has a a computer in the household to act as a print server.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Date: August 16, 2012 10:16PM
Ken Sp.
[support.apple.com]

Thanks. I forgot that list existed... Kind of hard to identify which are the lasers and which are the inkjets from that list of model-numbers, tho. (Excepting the HPs.)

Hmm... From that list...

Anyone use a Laserjet Pro M1212nfw?

Is it a decent printer?
Date: August 16, 2012 10:19PM
kj4btkljv
I think HP is the only game in town that offers built-in Airprint services on their printers, no?

Not at all. I have a great Epson Artisan printer that supported iOS printing right out of the box.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: August 16, 2012 10:35PM
A bit off topic
There are now HP Direct wireless printers that allow you to print via AirPrint with no router. I just got one for my mom, and she uses her iPad directly to the printer with no router, without interrupting the 3G connection. [www.hp.com]
It is the PhotoSmart 5520 and set up was a breeze.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: August 17, 2012 12:31AM
Here are a few I've been looking at:

1. Possibly the best value of them all but no copier/scanner functions:

[www.amazon.com]

2. No Airprint, but they have their "own" workaround method:

[www.amazon.com]

3. Close to what you want, but exceeds your budget by $30 (No WiFi thought--ethernet only)

[www.amazon.com]

4. The whole kitten kaboodle for $379:

[www.amazon.com]

Note #3 and #4 probably can't be considered compact
Posted by: ArtP
Date: August 17, 2012 01:21AM
Edit: (ooops just saw - LASER Printer) but posting anyway - DOH!!!

Target had a wireless epson on sale last week for $35

Epson Stylus NX230 All-in-One Printer
[www.target.com]

Wired Connectivity: USB 2.0
Wireless Technology: Wi-Fi Enabled
Wireless Standard: IEEE 802.11b/g/n

but it is not on that Airprint list from Apple Support

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2012 01:25AM by ArtP.
Posted by: Bimwad
Date: August 17, 2012 03:28AM
Chakravartin

Anyone use a Laserjet Pro M1212nfw?

Is it a decent printer?

I've had some limited experience setting up an M1217 for a Win7 machine.

It seemed no better or worse than any other cheap laser, so I guess it qualifies as decent.

But it did seem flimsier than the HP 3055 it replaced, even though both are considered "office" class. It also lacks the breadth of physical controls of the older model.

And even though I like my Brother AIO, I will concede to Robert M, defender of the HP faith, that the latter's print quality is better, for the comparable models I've encountered.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: August 17, 2012 09:30AM
Chak,

As usual, I'll definitely recommend an HP over other brands. However, one thing I should point out is that in my experience, a wireless printer connected to a network via wireless results in flaky performance. I've experienced this with models from HP, Canon and Brother. Now, I make sure the printer has ethernet so I can hardwire it to the network and then print to it via wireless. Far more reliable performance. I'd recommend putting the printer onto the network via a hardwire connection, regardless of brand.

If laser, I'd give a looksie at the following HP model:

[www.staples.com]

I have a question and it relates to laser vs inkjet. Is there a reason you want her to have a laser printer? In the past, lasers always had a lower cost per page when it came to printing but that is no longer the case. Choose an inkjet carefully and it may actually provide for a lower cost per page than many laser printers. That and an inkjet gives your mom the option of color and it will take up less space in the home, too.

Many excellent inkjet all-in-one printers can be had for under $300.00. Heck, many can be had for under $200.00. I love my HP Officejet 8500. The Officejet 8600, it's newer sibling, is a great printer. But, for your mom, she may not need an office class inkjet. An HP Officejet 6700 for $139 at Staples after an instant discount of $30 (and before coupons and such) might do the job nicely. [www.staples.com] There is an Officejet 6600 for $10.00 less but it lacks ethernet. For the difference of $10.00, I'd definitely choose the 6700 over it because it has all three flavors of connectivity.

FWIW, we have lasers at my office but at home I stay with inkjet. I don't do nearly as much printing at home and want the option of color. If your mom doesn't do that much printing, I'd seriously consider an office or home office level inkjet. Not a cheap low-end intended for the home inkjet but the next class up at the least.

Robert

P.S. Special to Bimwad... Check and see if your Brother has the most current firmware. My bud who has a beast of a Brother color all-in-one just updated its firmware and it resulted in a significant improvement in the quality of its output.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2012 09:31AM by Robert M.
Posted by: TheToddler
Date: August 17, 2012 10:50AM
No proofing?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 17, 2012 04:19PM
Ink printers, in my experience, seem to have far more cartridge related problems, especially if it is not used regularly.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: August 17, 2012 06:13PM
Robert M
...one thing I should point out is that in my experience, a wireless printer connected to a network via wireless results in flaky performance. I've experienced this with models from HP, Canon and Brother.

I have a wireless Epson that I've been very happy with. It solved a few minor (but irritating) printer sharing issues that I've had. The Airprint feature, in particular, is sweet. I have Printopia running for one of my printers, and while it works fine it also introduces a conspicuous delay as the print-job is queued, but the Airprint printer starts each job almost immediately.

Robert M
Far more reliable performance. I'd recommend putting the printer onto the network via a hardwire connection, regardless of brand.

That's not practical in this location.

Robert M
I'd give a looksie at the following HP model...

That's the front-runner right now. smiling smiley

Robert M
Is there a reason you want her to have a laser printer? In the past, lasers always had a lower cost per page when it came to printing but that is no longer the case.

I think that the pricing still works out in favor of lasers and especially in this case.

My mom prints about a hundred pages per month, almost all black-and-white... and she needs to copy dozens of pages each month. Between the ink that she buys at retail from Staples and the rolls of transfer-film that she replaces in the fax machine/copier, I expect a laser-copier to save her hundreds of dollars each year.
Date: August 17, 2012 06:29PM
Chak,

It depends on the printer. I've actually done a comparison - you can find it in the forum - and the cost per page between an inkjet and a laser is very much dependent on the printers involved in the comparison. But, based on what you're saying, I'd be inclined to go laser. If nothing else, it'll be faster overall for printing and allow for more pages per toner cartridge. That said, I'd still see if an ethernet connection is viable. Wireless printers connected wirelessly to a network can be very flaky. Just something to consider when looking at wireless printers.

BTW, if she can go with slightly lighter and/or lower quality output, your mom and use the economode settings of the printer and make each toner cartridge last noticeably longer. We do that with our HP lasers, Brother laser and my Officejet. It definitely makes a difference and has saved us a bunch over the years.

Robert
Posted by: Bimwad
Date: August 17, 2012 08:05PM
Robert M
P.S. Special to Bimwad... Check and see if your Brother has the most current firmware. My bud who has a beast of a Brother color all-in-one just updated its firmware and it resulted in a significant improvement in the quality of its output.

Yeah, I'm up to date. I think it's just a physical limitation of the Brother print engine (2400x600 vs 1200x1200), and not software related. The HP 3055 was destined for the scrap heap, supposedly because the document feeder pickup roller is bad, but it's fully functional otherwise, so I kept it for myself, and have both it and the Brother. :-)

I, too, preferred wired networks when possible, but the HP M1217 was easy to set up, and functioned fine, albeit with a slight delay I'm not accustomed to when printing.

I much prefer stable laser toner over volatile inks for users who print infrequently.
Date: August 17, 2012 09:17PM
Bim,

I've changed the document feeder pick up rollers of the laserjet 3055. We have one at my office. It's actually very easy. You just need to buy the appropriate parts. If that's the only thing wrong with it, absolutely get the replacements and fix it. The laserjet 3055 is a workhorse and one of the best laser all-in-ones I've used to date.

Robert
Posted by: Jerry®
Date: August 18, 2012 05:40PM
Markintosh
You can use Airprint Activator to make any printer work with AirPrint - assuming your mother also has a a computer in the household to act as a print server.

Where do you get AirPrint Activator??

16GB WIFI (3rd gen)
My Phone:
iPhone 6 (iOS 8.1 • Verizon)
Posted by: kj4btkljv
Date: August 21, 2012 04:21PM
Jerry®
Where do you get AirPrint Activator??

[www.google.com]

Jeff
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login