Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $102.47 ( +2.71 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Beautiful 8 point buck pictures
Posted by: hal
Date: November 17, 2012 08:54PM
I saw these two pretty young does first thing when I got to my river area today after the rain stopped...

...but this guy saw them too... Isn't he beautiful!?

...unfortunately for him, he was on one side of the fence and the girls were on the other side. This is the Sheriff Academy grounds - there is a driveway that is open during daylight hours and a lot of the deer find their way in there. I think they like the nice green grass. I climbed up to the fence and hung my camera over the top for these shots...

edit: damn, I just noticed the hare just above the deer in the background...

and here's a shot of the storm moving to the east with the pair of Mute Swans in the foreground (the two white dots in the water)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2012 08:56PM by hal.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Beautiful 8 point buck pictures
Posted by: testcase
Date: November 17, 2012 09:39PM
Looks like 10 points to me.
Date: November 17, 2012 09:48PM
do those little ones count?
Posted by: Manlove
Date: November 17, 2012 09:57PM
Unless you were extremely hungry, why would you even consider hunting an animal like that?
Posted by: testcase
Date: November 17, 2012 10:12PM
"do those little ones count?"

Are they "pointy"???????
Posted by: vision63
Date: November 17, 2012 10:20PM
OMG, they're so beautiful.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: November 17, 2012 10:40PM
Used to be if you could hang a ring on it it counted but that was 30 years ago.

Grateful11
Posted by: freeradical
Date: November 17, 2012 10:54PM
Manlove
Unless you were extremely hungry, why would you even consider hunting an animal like that?

Many other reasons...

Low fat meat...

There are so many deer around that they're really considered to be pests...

etc...
Posted by: srf1957
Date: November 17, 2012 11:07PM
4x4 The eye guards don't count unless you are back east. If you saw my lawn where its not safe to ay down because of the deer crap they are not so cute. Since that is a blacktail and not a mule deer or whitetail around here it wouldn't be considered big enough to eat.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 17, 2012 11:33PM
They truly are a great looking trio. And I bet he's tasty too.
Posted by: vision63
Date: November 17, 2012 11:40PM
Racer X
They truly are a great looking trio. And I bet he's tasty too.

They probably sell meat in a market near your house. A lot less trouble.
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: November 17, 2012 11:45PM
A couple hundred Americans die every year in deer vs. auto crashes.

Can you imagine if a couple hundred Americans were eaten by sharks every year? Or by wolves? Grizzlies?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 18, 2012 12:04AM
They allowed bow hunting of deer in my suburban Ohio town this year. First time.. evah. Surprisingly the animal worshipers were quite silent about it... everyone I know has had a run-in with a deer at some point in their lives. Our family has had three deer-related accidents. I've hit two deer (well, one jumped onto the roof of my car), and my wife smashed up a church sign avoiding a big buck.

They are damn annoying critters. I mean, sure, beautiful, and the babies are soooo cute. But so are baby cows, and I happily eat hamburgers.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 18, 2012 12:07AM
I think Minnesota alone has @40000 vehicle/deer interactions a year.

[www.statefarm.com]

"U.S. DEER-VEHICLE CONFRONTATIONS HAVE INCREASED

The number of deer-related collisions in the U.S. has increased by 7.7 percent over the last year. This jump comes after a 3- year period during which these collisions dropped 2.2 percent.

State Farm estimates 1.23 million collisions caused by the presence of deer occurred in the U.S. between July 1, 2011 and June 30, 2012. The probability that any single licensed driver in the U.S. was behind the wheel during one of those 1.23 million crashes also increased from 1 in 183 to 1 in 171."

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 18, 2012 05:40AM
^^^
Looking at the map my first question was "how do hit a deer with your car in Hawaii?"

So I'll searched the web and discovered that some fool flew deer into the big island for hunting. No natural predators so the state is trying to eradicate them. I guess a few unlucky drivers are helping.

Being in Florida, the land of invasive species like Boas, pythons, iguanas, brazilian pepper trees, Lion fish, retired midwestern republicans, melalucca, and dozens more - I have zero tolerance for idiots who bring non-native species into the wild.

You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands...
- For example, if they are wrapped around your throat she's probably slightly upset.
Posted by: chopper
Date: November 18, 2012 06:43AM
I used to be a deer pacifist. Then I started gardening and trying to keep up my lawn. Now, the only good one ...
Posted by: riley5108
Date: November 18, 2012 06:57AM
That's a 10 point buck and those small spikes do count.

We have so many deer in southern Indiana they eat everything in the yard and the deer scat is everywhere. They are allowing sharp shooters to help reduce their numbers in our surrounding neighborhood.
Date: November 18, 2012 08:31AM
In my youth I killed 3 deer, two by gun and one by bow. I stopped hunting when I was about 17 or 18
when I discovered something even more interesting, girls! We ate everything we killed. I practically
grew up in deer meat. Everyone in my Dad's hunt club said my Mom was the best deer meat cook around.
People would eat it and never know it was deer and she always said she never done anything special to it
but Mom could cook anything, squirrel, dove, rabbit, frog legs, etc. Her cubed deer steak and gravy was
simply awesome.

When I say hunt club I'm not talking about some fancy smancy outfit, they leased land from a guy and
I think Dad paid like $150/year to hunt there. We had an open side shelter with a brick fireplace, one guy
was a bricklayer, we would come down "the mountain" we called it, and heat cans of soup or make toast
over a fire, open a can of vienna sausages eat them with saltine crackers, just whatever we might have,
good times, really good times, brings back some of the best times I ever spent with my late Dad.
Dad and I never talked a lot but those times were some of my most memorable.

Grateful11
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: November 18, 2012 10:26AM
No one who hunts goes out to kill animals out of a sense of duty and higher purpose. You do it because it makes you feel more manly. You kill things that aren't directly harming you as a form of entertainment. All the rationalizing about hitting them with cars and so forth doesn't change the basic impulse.

You also go out and kill the other natural predators of the "pesty" deer.
Date: November 18, 2012 10:56AM
Ombligo
^^^
Looking at the map my first question was "how do hit a deer with your car in Hawaii?"

So I'll searched the web and discovered that some fool flew deer into the big island for hunting. No natural predators so the state is trying to eradicate them. I guess a few unlucky drivers are helping.

Being in Florida, the land of invasive species like Boas, pythons, iguanas, brazilian pepper trees, Lion fish, retired midwestern republicans, melalucca, and dozens more - I have zero tolerance for idiots who bring non-native species into the wild.

It's just a matter of time until some genius manages to smuggle snakes into Hawaii.
Posted by: (vikm)
Date: November 18, 2012 11:02AM
ka jowct
No one who hunts goes out to kill animals out of a sense of duty and higher purpose. You do it because it makes you feel more manly. You kill things that aren't directly harming you as a form of entertainment. All the rationalizing about hitting them with cars and so forth doesn't change the basic impulse.

Post of the year.
Date: November 18, 2012 11:04AM
(vikm)
ka jowct

Post of the year.

I found it to be quite silly.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: November 18, 2012 12:12PM
Mike Johnson

Can you imagine if a couple hundred Americans were eaten by sharks every year? Or by wolves? Grizzlies?

Yes, those deer are just terrible, the way they stalk and pounce on unsuspecting innocent cars wandering down the road. Sheesh. As though people have nothing to do with this problem.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: November 18, 2012 12:23PM
I personally have no problem with hunters as long as the goal is NOT to mount a head on a wall. Anyone that has a problem with hunting as described by greatful11 is out of line imo.

But all of the hate about deer ruining lawns??? that I don't get... it's a bunch of grass...

My friends that live in nearby deer country have vast gardens with fences to keep the deer out - problem solved! Otherwise the deer roam freely and ad SO MUCH to the beauty of their property. Driving around that area is very dangerous if you aren't prepared for deer on the road...
Posted by: billb
Date: November 18, 2012 02:04PM
freeradical
(vikm)
ka jowct

Post of the year.

I found it to be quite silly.
That was quite generous of you.
There's certainly no one in this country with venison in their freezers because they enjoy eating it.

I have peppers in my freezer and I had to pick them off the poor plant.
I closed my eyes though and cried a bucket of tears afterwards to balance the testosterone.

Date: November 18, 2012 02:09PM
ka jowct

I should just keep my mouth shut and let it ride but I'm not going too.

I realize there's going to be people that hate hunters no matter what. That's nice of you to roll all hunters into one big wrapper.

Do you eat meat of any kind?

There were times during 70's and early 80's that if it hadn't been deer meat there would have been no
meat on the table.

The only way I could kill one now is if my family was going hungry with no other way to get food.

Have you ever seen deer in an overpopulated deer area during a really bad drought? I have and it's not a pretty site.

Let's just ban all hunting and then everyone around here can start putting brush guards on the front of
their vehicle rather than have a deer crashing through the windshield and killing the occupants.

You wouldn't believe how much corn the deer here on the farm ate right out of the field this Fall and
kept it from being fed to my wife sons nearly 60 head of cattle. We could go and shot them right where
they're at year round for destroying crops but we let them be and have their fill of whatever they want.
Two years ago one deer my wife named "Annabelle" had twins and we were able to enjoy watching
them grow up and her looking after them.

Sorry but I find your post very narrow minded and not the Post of the Year.

Grateful11
Posted by: GGD
Date: November 18, 2012 02:10PM
rjmacs
Mike Johnson

Yes, those deer are just terrible, the way they stalk and pounce on unsuspecting innocent cars wandering down the road. Sheesh. As though people have nothing to do with this problem.

They really need to move those Deer Crossings.

[www.youtube.com]
[www.snopes.com]
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: November 18, 2012 04:35PM
I am not a hunter, and I think it's sad to see a deer shot and killed, but I also think it's perfectly fine if someone chooses to do it. In particular, if they are going to kill it and eat it, or use some other part of its body in some useful way, I don't see anything wrong with that.

Is it really worse for a person to go out to find an animal that has lived its life in the wild--living its entire life trying to avoid dying, to finally meet its maker at the hands of a predator? Is a hunter really so different from a wolf or a bear (or whatever natural predator a deer might have)?

Is it better for the animals who are raised in miserable living conditions, living their entire life waiting for their turn in the slaughterhouse?

There was a time when any meat that a human ate was hunted. It's only different now because people found a way to raise the same animals and then slaughter them whenever they needed the meat.

I could go on, but don't feel like typing much more.
Posted by: Acer
Date: November 18, 2012 06:28PM
Here in PA (a 1 in 76 deer strike state) the deer are so numerous they are preventing our forests from naturally regenerating properly, ruining the balance for the many animals and plants that are not deer. What should we do?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 18, 2012 09:51PM
Acer
Here in PA (a 1 in 76 deer strike state) the deer are so numerous they are preventing our forests from naturally regenerating properly, ruining the balance for the many animals and plants that are not deer. What should we do?

Do what we do: wolves. Then we hunt the wolves.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login