Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $566.16 ( +41.41 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
MBP RD 2.6/8GB/512GB at B&H for under $2500 shipped -- question
Posted by: john dough
Date: November 28, 2012 03:02PM
This may fit the bill for a client that wants a MBP RD with extra space (vs the 2.3 with 256GB SSD) and a speed boost as well: [www.bhphotovideo.com]

Although it does not have 16GB (like the one I use), is that much of an issue for someone that will be running one VM in Parallels most of the day and using the Mac OS while not at work? I think this is the perfect machine and at a VERY good price. Plus, through B&H, he can get AppleCare for $122, a free copy of Parallels 8 and free shipping.

Anyone have this model and had regrets not getting the 16GB configuration instead?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: MBP RD 2.6/8GB/512GB at B&H for under $2500 shipped -- question
Posted by: DRR
Date: November 28, 2012 04:14PM
What applications? What does he run in Parallels, what does he run in OSX?
Posted by: modelamac
Date: November 28, 2012 04:27PM
I am running W8 via VM Fusionware with 8GB on a 2011 MBP i7, 2.2 GHZ.

I have absolutely problem. I can assign as much as 4 GB RAM to the process without a detrimental effect.

Mr. Curmudgeon, on Mountain Lion.
Date: November 28, 2012 04:42PM
He probably will not run both Parallels and OS X apps at the same time. He is (for now) a Windows only user (this would be his very first Apple computer) and would be using the MS suite, a Windows only CAD program and Quickbooks. The key selling point is having a VM machine running that can be backed up in one fell swoop and be recovered in a flash (if needed).

I think 8GB is fine for him and even though he cannot upgrade the RAM, this model should be plenty for him for a few years. He currently runs a 4 year old Dell laptop with 2GB of RAM and he can do all he needs with that machine, yet wants something more "current" (and was very impressed with my MBP RD).
Posted by: DRR
Date: November 28, 2012 05:03PM
I would think 8GB is plenty for that. My only question mark would be the requirements for the CAD program. If they're modest, that is, if it'll run fine on a Windows native with 4GB, then I think he'd be fine.

One question you should research - running Parallels on a Retina display? Are there drivers that will handle it, or will apps run at "native" resolution (with tiny, tiny icons?)
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: November 28, 2012 05:08PM
There is no way I would drop $2.5k on a machine and not be able to have 16gb of ram. You may not need it now, but eventually you will.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
See my MacBooks for sale here: [stores.ebay.com]
Date: November 28, 2012 05:14PM
C(-)ris
There is no way I would drop $2.5k on a machine and not be able to have 16gb of ram. You may not need it now, but eventually you will.

He wants the 15" retina display (not the 13" ). If you can find me the 16GB model for that much, I would buy it for him right now. Apple pricing things as they do, I am not sure there is a choice if he wants to spend no more than $2500. I paid $2850 for mine, but the lowest I can find now is $2900. He may bite the bullet for the 16GB model, but he has worked just fine for years on 2GB in Windows XP with the very apps he would use on whatever he gets.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2012 05:18PM by john dough.
Posted by: thermarest
Date: November 28, 2012 05:34PM
john dough
he has worked just fine for years on 2GB in Windows XP with the very apps he would use on whatever he gets.

I think that says it there. 8GB will be plenty.
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 28, 2012 08:20PM
8 GB will be great.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login