Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $103.30 ( +0.80 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Question on DNS servers settings
Posted by: Gilbert
Date: November 28, 2012 03:49PM
I was setting up a new computer at home and started questioning how I set up DNS on my machines. I use OpenDNS so I have their DNS servers in the router setup (Airport Extreme). On the computers on my network, I have been putting the router address (192.168.0.1) in the DNS server address as opposed to the specific OpenDNS servers.

Would it be better to put the OpenDNS server addresses on each device on my network or would there be little to no difference?

Not mission critical as everything works fine the way it is, just curious to see if there is a better way.

Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Question on DNS servers settings
Posted by: kj4btkljv
Date: November 28, 2012 04:04PM
This is how I would do it:

Setup the OpenDNS servers in the Airport Extreme, like I think you are doing.

On the computers, do you need static addresses or is dynamic ok? If static, you can program the Airport Extreme to hand out specific IP addresses by MAC address of the device. It's called Static DHCP Reservation.

[www.macobserver.com]

Then on the machines on your network, simply select DHCP, and the Airport Extreme will take care of everything, including using OpenDNS as the DNS server. Make any sense?

Jeff
Posted by: bhaveshp
Date: November 28, 2012 04:07PM
You should just let your computers get their IP & DNS settings from the routers using DHCP. Using DHCP, the Airport Extreme will automatically assign Open DNS to the computers.

Doing it manually on the computers will not improve anything. Just simpler to let DHCP do its thing.
Posted by: Gilbert
Date: November 28, 2012 04:45PM
Thanks for all the input. I use DHCP for the bulk of my machines but there are couple that I set to a static IP. However, I will still just point them to the router's address for DNS.

Thanks everyone!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login