Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $97.67 ( +0.64 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
forum/chat for retired people?
Posted by: lazydays
Date: December 17, 2012 11:51PM
Is there a forum/chat for retired people? I looked into a few via google but they didn't seem very active. I don't qualify for AARP because of age so I need an alternative to that. Suggestions?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: forum/chat for retired people?
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: December 17, 2012 11:59PM
>>Is there a forum/chat for retired people?

No. But [www.mamaslatinas.com] is awesome.

That's a lot of pesto.
Posted by: Mac-A-Matic
Date: December 18, 2012 12:04AM
How about this board from AARP?

[www.aarp.org]

EDIT:
Ooops, just realized you stated you didn't qualify because of age. But I think the online community is free.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2012 12:04AM by Mac-A-Matic.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: December 18, 2012 12:18AM
I think you are in it. I'd bet 80% of active posters are over 45.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: December 18, 2012 12:34AM
^ This

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Date: December 18, 2012 12:43AM
Posted by: ArtP
Date: December 18, 2012 12:56AM
C(-)ris
yep
Date: December 18, 2012 01:24AM
C(-)ris
Agreed. I am, at least.
Posted by: M>B>
Date: December 18, 2012 02:15AM
C(-)ris

Been doing it since...

I am 66!
Posted by: DRR
Date: December 18, 2012 05:56AM
old fogey smiley
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: December 18, 2012 06:10AM
AARP doesn't really care about seniors, just their own corporate power and money. They do NOT represent Seniors . . . we are not their guiding principle. FYI

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: DP
Date: December 18, 2012 06:23AM
WHiiP
AARP doesn't really care about seniors, just their own corporate power and money. They do NOT represent Seniors . . . we are not their guiding principle. FYI

agree smiley

Also, I think there are more old farts on this forum than is obvious. Maybe we should do a thread on forumite's ages like Black's Guestmap! I'll start (see sig):

Posted by: Dennis R
Date: December 18, 2012 07:25AM
I have been having very nice conversations this last week by face timing Gene L. I am sure there are other members who are also looking for just such a thing.
Posted by: the_poochies
Date: December 18, 2012 07:32AM
YMCA? Coffeeshop? Early Bird Special at your local diner?
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: December 18, 2012 08:02AM
Up at the Honey Dew Donut shop in Nobscot, near here, you'll always find a few old geezers hanging out. I like going in there because it makes me feel young (and in the afternoon they give you a free donut if you buy coffee).

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

New blog! [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Even newer blog! [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: December 18, 2012 08:42AM
old fogey smiley Yep, sonny, what's that ye sayin'???

Around here, the geezers meet a local coffee shops. I am surprised there is no official geezer site though - hmm, maybe someone here could start one.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive". Dirt, it's nothing but dirt, I tell ye...
Windows User: "I am worried about security threats, but I'd rather have my identity stolen than put up with Windows 8," he says.
"I thought I was wrong one time, but I was mistaken." Command Sergeant Major Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2012 08:43AM by GuyGene.
Posted by: Fred_Also
Date: December 18, 2012 08:51AM
WHiiP

agree smiley

I'm 71 and hang out in the local Dairy Queen.

Fred
Posted by: wolfcry911
Date: December 18, 2012 08:57AM
C(-)ris
??!! People retire at 45 !!??

I'm not an active poster, but perhaps I will be in another few months ;)
Posted by: samintx
Date: December 18, 2012 09:02AM
lazydays
Is there a forum/chat for retired people? I looked into a few via google but they didn't seem very active. I don't qualify for AARP because of age so I need an alternative to that. Suggestions?

I'm 80 and I DON"T WANT TO HANG AROUND RETIRED PEOPLE! or a retired person FORUM. Many here are middle age but I don't know what RETIRED people talk about.....aches and pains, latest grandchild? I don't really have much in common with retired people in my town.

Be happy. You have the FORUM right here!
Posted by: 3d
Date: December 18, 2012 09:06AM
Yes to: Steel cut oats, LL Bean and Hoover Dam.
No to: DreBeats headphones, hoodies and Vegas Strip.
If you're looking for a geezer forum, look no further old fogey smiley
Posted by: bobalu
Date: December 18, 2012 09:17AM
I am 77 and, though I don't post often, I truly enjoy this forum.

Oroville, CA
Posted by: samintx
Date: December 18, 2012 09:21AM
Fred_Also
WHiiP

agree smiley

I'm 71 and hang out in the local Dairy Queen.

Fred

But Fred you forgot to add.....You are a looking for chicks! I'm a cougar myself.old fogey smiley
Posted by: Don C
Date: December 18, 2012 09:49AM
I'm 67 and for a while attended a monthly free breakfast at a restaurant up the street sponsored by a home care coordination company. A neighbor and I could walk there and pretend we'd walked off the calories by the time we were home.

Folks tended to sit at the same table every time, though so we did not get to meet as many folks as we thought might happen and the "program" consisted of speakers from other services. I do not need those services now and figured that if I do need them, I won't remember who told me what so it won't do me any good.

To Sam's point, my folks lived in Wisconsin and refused to join their neighbors in Florida or Arizona because there were too many old people there. They were more interested in being around families.

We just celebrated the 100th birthday of a friend who is active in our folk dance community, still dancing some, sings in the church choir and is interested in politics and social causes. Aches and pains are something she mentions and then moves on to important stuff.
Posted by: testcase
Date: December 18, 2012 01:07PM
" I don't qualify for AARP because of age"

Unless they've changed, AARP had NO minimum age to be a member. The only requirement I was aware of was that you paid the dues. I originally joined in my 40's an d then allowed my membership to lapse after AARP management sold out to some health care scam.

Recently, I saw an offer for one free year of AARP membership and signed up again. I haven't received anything from AARP though yet.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: December 18, 2012 01:12PM
AARP is basically a marketing arm of United Health Care, and a lobbying organization. I would never sign up with them, because I don't like their politics.

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: testcase
Date: December 18, 2012 01:19PM
I bought a small camping trailer in 2010 to facilitate an extended trip out west. I had a great time and, have repeated with extended trips in 2011 and 2012. I retired last year and, expect to spend a significant amount of time on the road. There are numerous forums / Special Interest Groups geared toward the varied areas of the RV community. I expect the same would be true for groups other than RVers too. What are your interests? Google is your friend.

PS: Have you checked out MeetUp.com? You tell them what you're interested in, what your ZIP code is and, how far you're willing to travel. They'll hook you up with like minded groups. Free to join, modest fees to have them host your group. They have an amazing range of Special Interest Groups to choose from.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2012 01:22PM by testcase.
Date: December 18, 2012 01:36PM
mrlynn
Up at the Honey Dew Donut shop in Nobscot, near here, you'll always find a few old geezers hanging out. I like going in there because it makes me feel young (and in the afternoon they give you a free donut if you buy coffee).

/Mr Lynn
That's one reason I loved (the former) Fitzgerald's in Reno- I was always the youngest person staying there by a good 20 years. I often compared it to spending a week with my grandparents, if my grandparents liked to party and gamble a lot.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: December 18, 2012 04:00PM
Early Retirement Forum link
Posted by: billb
Date: December 19, 2012 12:01AM
testcase

Recently, I saw an offer for one free year of AARP membership and signed up again. I haven't received anything from AARP though yet.

That;s odd . You should already have a three foot stack of life, health, car, extended care and burial insurance offers.

iirc, there's anyone can join but discounts offers don't apply until 50 or 55.
I originally signed up to take advantage of specific 10% aarp discount but those discounts seem to be drying up
and their politics isn't necessarily benefiting members all the time any more either.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login