Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $104.85 ( +1.86 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any Dell Mini 10v users left?
Posted by: Rolando
Date: January 02, 2013 08:40PM
My daughters Hackintoshed Mini10v was working great on 10.6.3. I had just run a backup on it a week ago, but now it will turn on but the screen is black.
I can hold down the power button to turn it off ( I hear a sound like a whistle running out, but no screen. Did a search, was told to hold the FN and power button to reset the hibernation file, then turn it on. No worky.

Unplugged and removed the battery, then held down the power button (supposed to reset the BIOS), plugged in power, turned it on, black screen.
Unplugged power, reattached battery, black screen.

Am I missing something here?

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any Dell Mini 10v users left?
Posted by: BillMac
Date: January 02, 2013 09:12PM
still have mine, but it doesn't get used. I "assume" that it still works!!!

-Bill
Cogito ergo iPod!
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: January 02, 2013 09:24PM
You might have more of a response here...
Posted by: tenders
Date: January 02, 2013 09:27PM
I have a small fleet of Mini 9s that I use daily (including right now) and ... confession ... I find it more useful on 10.6.7 than my iPad 3, though not as much fun to use.

Unfortunately I have not had the issue you're facing. How much is your time worth? You can find one in good condition on eBay for not much and be back to the races after you swap the SSD from your existing one.
Posted by: bwicklander
Date: January 02, 2013 09:44PM
My mini9 is still working - 3+ years.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: January 02, 2013 10:02PM
I don't have a Dell mini, so not sure I can be of much help with this specific problem, but I will chime in and say I only gave up my various Atom hacks, because I could never manage to get 10.6.8 running smoothly. Stuck at 10.6.7. I have one 64-bit model, that should be able to run Lion, possibly even Mountain Lion, but I haven't bothered to make the jump. Will probably repurpose as HTPC running a Linux distro and XBMC. Better support on Linux.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 02, 2013 10:08PM
Still have my mini9. Just got it back from loaning it out to a family member who needed something to do while in the hospital. I was using it for iTunes mostly. Still have not installed OS X though.
Posted by: tronnei
Date: January 02, 2013 10:30PM
Rolando

You mean, other than you're running Mac OS on a piece of junk?
Posted by: Rolando
Date: January 02, 2013 11:24PM
tronnei
Rolando

See this post.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Posted by: sekker
Date: January 02, 2013 11:35PM
My mini10v is now out and about again after sitting on a shelf for over a year. It still works fine.
Date: January 03, 2013 01:14AM
tronnei
Rolando

As opposed to the iBooks with the bad GPU, the Titanium PowerBooks with flaking paint and bad hinges, and the plastic MacBooks with cracking cases?

Many people have posted how these hack Macs have served them well. No need to hate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2013 01:22AM by silvarios.
Posted by: JEBB
Date: January 03, 2013 05:54AM
I have one with has 10.6.7 on it and keep it in the closet. I had used it for a while but it was too darn slow to be reaLLY useful plus it wouldn't always start up correctly. I replaced it with a refurb 1st gen. MBA 11" which is soooo much better. I will put Ubuntu on it someday.
Posted by: DP
Date: January 03, 2013 07:00AM
silvarios
tronnei
Rolando

As opposed to the iBooks with the bad GPU, the Titanium PowerBooks with flaking paint and bad hinges, and the plastic MacBooks with cracking cases?

Many people have posted how these hack Macs have served them well. No need to hate.

Indeed. My Mini9 hasn't skipped a beat and tho I don't use it as much as I used to it's been a good machine.
Posted by: sekker
Date: January 03, 2013 07:30AM
Other than the crappy trackpad, my mini10v was good hardware (I liked the screen, keyboard, battery life).

Ran 10.6.1 great - installed a nice OS and let it be.
Posted by: tronnei
Date: January 03, 2013 08:07AM

No need to hate.

Not hating, just joshing. Chill baby chill.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 03, 2013 08:49AM
Still have ours. Had to de-Hackintosh it last year so Mrs. cbelt3 could run an Active X web site for her work. Now that she's retired, she's switched to her iPhone and iPad because they are easier to use in bed, where her RA keeps her for much of the day.

Sad, really, because the Mini still has 2 years left on it's Sam's club warranty.
Date: January 03, 2013 08:58AM
tronnei
Not hating, just joshing.

I apologize.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: January 03, 2013 09:45AM
I still have a hot rod red mini 9. I use it occasionally when I need to re-program my Harmony 900 remote.

None of my (real) Macs will see the stupid thing. I know you can fix it, but it's easier to just whip out the mini.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login