Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $98.17 ( -0.21 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Heater Recommendations
Posted by: kap
Date: January 07, 2013 12:04PM
Anyone here has any experience with this one? Share your pros and cons please. Tia
[OLEUS%20HM1-10-32" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" >www.frys.com]

West San Gabriel Valley, California ... for the time being :-)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Heater Recommendations
Posted by: testcase
Date: January 07, 2013 12:21PM
I find it strange that Wattage figures are not listed.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: January 07, 2013 12:21PM
Kap,

I've heard good things about the micathermic models. But, I prefer the oil-fileld models. They may take longer to heart an area but they heat consistently and are near silent. My wife and I bought one of these two or three years ago and it has performed admirably:

[www.amazon.com]

The first one smelled a bit initially like many of the reviews described. However, the smell went away after a few hours and never returned. No leaks. We're happy enough with it that we bought another one of the same model from Bed, Bath and Beyond (with a 20% off coupon) over the weekend. Same thing as the first. Initial smell that vanished after a few hours, just like the other one.

Since we also needed one for a bigger space, we also bought one of these from Amazon:

[www.amazon.com]

Same kind of radiator. Just a larger model.

Here's a link to radiator reviews:

[www.consumersearch.com]

BTW, there is a $10.00 rebate on select Delonghi models.

Robert
Posted by: Billybob
Date: January 07, 2013 12:36PM
It looks a lot like the Soleus heater that I spent $70 for two years ago. I liked it so much, I purchased two more--at $50 each--for my daughter's apartment in Long Beach.

What I like about it is that unlike blown air heat, it heats up a decent size room without drying out my sinus membranes. It also seems to heat a room quicker than oil heaters but not as fast as blown air.

I cannot say that it heats better than oil heaters. I do know that it has saved us a lot in heating costs over the last two winters. My femme and I--empty nesters-- live in a sprawling 5-bedroom ranch home. Not having to heat the whole house has been amazing.

Another caveat is that we live in Florida (N. Central to be precise) where the external temperature rarely drops below 25 deg., and almost never stays below 30 for more than a few hours. The unheated inside temperature doesn't drop below 60. If you live in a colder location, this heater may not be up to the task.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: January 07, 2013 12:47PM
I noticed the top model listed in the consumersearch.com page was the Lasko that we have in the game
room. We've had it for about 3 years and it's been excellent, not silent but a very fast to heat heater.
We're heating a 24x14' area with it and no other source of heat except what might flow through the
doorway into the room.

Lasko 755320 Ceramic Tower Heater
[www.amazon.com]

Grateful11
Posted by: Spock
Date: January 07, 2013 05:05PM
Grateful11
I noticed the top model listed in the consumersearch.com page was the Lasko that we have in the game
room. We've had it for about 3 years and it's been excellent, not silent but a very fast to heat heater.
We're heating a 24x14' area with it and no other source of heat except what might flow through the
doorway into the room.

Lasko 755320 Ceramic Tower Heater
[www.amazon.com]

Best Tower Heater is a G5 Quad Core.

Comedy Central: Best news channel that isn't a news channel.

Fox News: Best comedy channel that isn't a comedy channel.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 07, 2013 06:18PM
so you will be packing HEAT......????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: January 07, 2013 08:33PM
"Micathermic, a new technology that combines both reflective and convection heating technology, provides fast heat and instant comfort where it's needed most."

Reflective heating? I must have missed thermodynamics the week they covered that chapter. bunny smiley

in tha 510.
Posted by: davester
Date: January 08, 2013 12:27AM
Filliam H. Muffman
"Micathermic, a new technology that combines both reflective and convection heating technology, provides fast heat and instant comfort where it's needed most."

Reflective heating? I must have missed thermodynamics the week they covered that chapter. bunny smiley

Technically incorrect, but it's pretty obvious they are talking about "radiant" heating. When these heater threads come up it is difficult to explain to people that there are several primary heat transfer mechanisms of importance (radiant, conductive, convective) and even harder to explain how they relate to those heaters that they buy. The manufacturers don't make it any easier because they want to obfuscate in order to sell heaters.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login