advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $112.34 ( -0.31 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Super cheap laptop that's ok to run Windows 7?
Posted by: stephen
Date: February 01, 2013 08:33AM
My brother needs a used, refurb or extremely cheap laptop for his second home health job. He has a nice iMac at home. What's the cheapest new Windows 7 laptop on the planet, or the smartest used/refurb buy? Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Super cheap laptop that's ok to run Windows 7?
Posted by: clay
Date: February 01, 2013 08:38AM
any chance he could use the iMac and some virtualization software to run Windows 7? Or does it need to be a separate device altogether?
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: February 01, 2013 08:43AM
clay
any chance he could use the iMac and some virtualization software to run Windows 7? Or does it need to be a separate device altogether?

agree smiley

Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: February 01, 2013 08:48AM
Grab a copy of Windows 7, download VirtualBox - [www.virtualbox.org], and that's as cheap as you can get.

Since you mentioned laptop though, perhaps he is needing portability with this other job?
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: February 01, 2013 09:00AM
I recommend PC Exchange, down the street from me, which has used business laptops for $200-400, including the OS (XP or 7). They sell off-lease stuff, with a one-year warranty:

[www.pcexchange.com]

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

New blog! [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Even newer blog! [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: stephen
Date: February 01, 2013 09:01AM
Yes, the portability is the issue.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 01, 2013 09:04AM
Stephen,

I love the idea of running Windows via a virtual system like Parallels, Fusion or Virtualbox. However, my experience has taught me that it doesn't always work well. Using Fusion and Windows XP Professional, I had nothing but trouble printing from UPS Worldship. It refused to work properly despite my best efforts. That was one of the reasons I wanted to run Windows in window on my Mac. Not an issue with my wife's old IBM Laptop running Windows XP Professional.

FWIW, when my wife needed a new laptop, I suggested a Macbook and running Windows via a virtual solution. Or, just running it via bootcamp. She didn't want to know form it. Her job depended upon her being able to work from home and she didn't want to risk compatibility issues or dual booting and such. She ended up with a very nice HP laptop.

This is not to say running a Windows machine via a virtual solution won't work for your friend. It may do the job nicely. But, if his livelihood is dependent upon his ability to work from home, then I'd be more inclined to go with a real windows machine. A basic Windows machine can be had for $350 or less. 'course, going into the $500 to $700 range gets you a machine with solid performance.

I just saw a Groupon deal for a refurbed Dell Latitude. Don't know a thing about the model or whether or not it's a good price for said machine but it's probably worth a looksie. Same goes for checking out laptop deals via [www.techbargains.com]. Here's are the links:

[www.groupon.com]

[www.techbargains.com]

Robert
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 01, 2013 10:16AM
Dell refurb models with an outlet coupon can be good deals, and the machines come with a full Dell warranty (whose service is very good in my experience).
Posted by: the_poochies
Date: February 01, 2013 02:16PM
In 2010 I picked up a new Compaq Windows 7 Home Premium laptop at Staples for $249.

It's as slow as heck, but I just threw in 8 GB of RAM and a 128 GB SSD and I can get a few more years out of it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 101
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 322 on December 17, 2014