Re: OT: a medical miracle like 1 in a billion
Posted by: $tevie
Date: February 19, 2013 06:47AM
Cash and Dylan. Ha.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 19, 2013 07:59AM
No fertility drugs. Wow. Their daughter is now BADLY outnumbered.

My then 11 year old daughter's announcement when our youngest son was born was:

"Oh no ! Not another stinky Boy !"
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: February 19, 2013 09:04AM
cbelt3
Their daughter is now BADLY outnumbered.

A Texas couple trying to give their son a little sister gave him four brothers instead

Paul

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 19, 2013 09:49AM
derp. OK, never mind. Big Brother is now badly outnumbered. You can boss ONE little brother around. Four ? Identical ? OMG !!
Posted by: billb
Date: February 19, 2013 10:45AM
sore nipple nightmare

" Families who heat their homes with wood responsibly should be recognized for their contribution to a reduction in greenhouse gas emissions and a sustainable energy future."
Posted by: davester
Date: February 19, 2013 11:28AM
The article says 1 in 70 million births has two sets of identical twins. Long odds, but nowhere near 1 in a billion.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: decay
Date: February 19, 2013 11:29AM
i predict formula in their futures.

---
I buy records. Getting rid of some? Let me know.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: February 19, 2013 12:14PM
davester
The article says 1 in 70 million births has two sets of identical twins. Long odds, but nowhere near 1 in a billion.

The 1 in 70MM is just for two sets of identicals... pretty sure the odds go up for two sets of boys (3:1), no fertility drugs (16:1), no in vitro fertilization (4:1), and no complications (22:1), as is prone to happen w/ multiples... them thar Texans beat odds well into the billions to one. Not bad for a roll in the hay to end up with hassle-free double doubles eight months later.

///
Date: February 19, 2013 12:57PM
Buzz
... no complications (22:1), as is prone to happen w/ multiples...

The need for a caesarean isn't considered a complication?

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: February 19, 2013 02:20PM
davester
Buzz
... no complications (22:1), as is prone to happen w/ multiples...

The need for a caesarean isn't considered a complication?

Since the 19th century, a caesarean has been more an inconvenience than a complication... In fact, some women choose a caesarean over a regular birth just FOR the convenience of "Getting 'er done". Not saying I AGREE with that practice, but then again, I don't have to pass a softball out my urethra either...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: February 19, 2013 02:41PM
Paul F.
Since the 19th century, a caesarean has been more an inconvenience than a complication... In fact, some women choose a caesarean over a regular birth just FOR the convenience of "Getting 'er done". Not saying I AGREE with that practice, but then again, I don't have to pass a softball out my urethra either...

That's not really true. The US caesarean rate was only 4% in the 1970s and less before that, due to risk of surgical complications. The rates have increased drastically since that time and the complication rate has dropped, but not enough to match the increased number of caesareans. There's nothing "convenient" about having a caesarean anyway, since the mother then has to recover from surgery as she tries to deal with the demands of a new baby. Most studies of the ballooning caesarean rate have tied the increases to doctor convenience and added profits, not convenience for mothers. There has been a significant movement on several fronts to reduce the caesarean rate due to the increased risks to baby and mother.

Date: February 19, 2013 03:08PM
I wouldn't consider a planned caesarean w/ quads, especially double twins, a complication; an emergency c-section because of tangled cords/body parts, yep, but it sounds like she sailed through the pregnancy. We've all known people that have had problems w/ singletons. In the grand scheme of baby making, they seriously defied the odds, and then some. It's in the billions to one. High risk pregnancies are one thing, actual complications are another. One the risk is established, more care, monitoring, and tests are part of the program. Hopefully everything goes smoothly like it did for the odds-beaters.

///
Date: February 19, 2013 04:58PM
Buzz
davester

The 1 in 70MM is just for two sets of identicals... pretty sure the odds go up for two sets of boys (3:1), no fertility drugs (16:1), no in vitro fertilization (4:1), and no complications (22:1), as is prone to happen w/ multiples... them thar Texans beat odds well into the billions to one. Not bad for a roll in the hay to end up with hassle-free double doubles eight months later.

///

And does this count as 1 birth or 4 births?
Date: February 19, 2013 10:23PM
And does this count as 1 birth or 4 births?

Five. One each for the mom and each of the four boys...
It's new math.

///
Posted by: RgrF
Date: February 20, 2013 04:23AM
Both mine were born in the 60s and both by caesarean; first by necessity, second by choice.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login