advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $97.67 ( +0.64 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Brother HL-2270DW Compact Laser Printer with Wireless Networking and Duplex $78@amazon
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 19, 2013 10:59AM
[www.amazon.com]

I don't have experience with this model but people at Slick Deals say it's good. I have the 2280 which also has a scanner and I like it.

YMMV of course. and yes, I know Robert M doesn't like Brothers (maybe he likes Sisters?)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Brother HL-2270DW Compact Laser Printer with Wireless Networking and Duplex $78@amazon
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 19, 2013 11:16AM
I've got one. It's already run through the introductory toner, and is partway through a new (generic refill_ high capacity toner.

Excellent for BW& proofing big grin smiley
Re: Brother HL-2270DW Compact Laser Printer with Wireless Networking and Duplex $78@amazon
Date: February 19, 2013 11:44AM
I think I am buying one for the drum unit (retails for $71) LOL
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 19, 2013 11:45AM
I have one being delivered today. think its possible for me to get a price match?

VTPKL it!
Posted by: Buzz
Date: February 19, 2013 11:47AM
space-time
[www.amazon.com]

I don't have experience with this model but people at Slick Deals say it's good. I have the 2280 which also has a scanner and I like it.

YMMV of course. and yes, I know Robert M doesn't like Brothers (maybe he likes Sisters?)

Sisters was one of my favorite shows... but then again, Sela Ward makes just about any show one of my favorites...

Good deal on the Brother printer, too, BTW.

///
Posted by: datbeme
Date: February 19, 2013 11:54AM
Awww jeez. Robert M talked me out of it a little while back. I decided what the heck, but before I could purchase, the price was back to $129. Got a camelcamelcamel notice that it was in the $80s yesterday and have been thinking about it again. Or maybe the 5470DW which is down to $169 (better quality output, more RAM).

Everyone says if you want something solid and worry free, bite the bullet and get an HP. But those all get lousy reviews too. Granted, my 10 year old 2200D at the office is still going strong, but anything new under $400 is apparently a piece of garbage. This is kind of like buying a hard drive or a router. They all suck!
Posted by: Mr645
Date: February 19, 2013 11:57AM
I hav e one of those, paid $99. Connected to my router and no issues, works fine
Posted by: Janit
Date: February 19, 2013 12:26PM
I have one of these too and I am very happy with it. I have it wired to my router via ethernet. (I never could get it to talk to my router via wireless.)
Date: February 19, 2013 12:34PM
Janit
I have one of these too and I am very happy with it. I have it wired to my router via ethernet. (I never could get it to talk to my router via wireless.)

try to log in into the web interface of the printer and change settings there.

I am not sure about this model, but I had trouble entering my WPA2 password in my HL-2280DW when I got it (31 character password). The LCD was good for 16 characters after which it was very difficult to see what I was doing. Hooked it up to the router via Ethernet, set it up, logged in to the Web Interface of the Printer and voila, you can do all sort of things, like run reports, change settings, etc. I pasted the long password in there, disconnected the ethernet cable and moved the printer where I wanted and I never had any issue ever since.

BTW: you need to figure out the Admin password, mine was written down in the manual (I think it was "admin" or "brother" or something like that)
Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 19, 2013 12:34PM
Space,

At that price, if you can deal with a Brother, it's a worthwihile purchase. But, my parents have this particular model and it has a couple of caveats:

1. Wifi is _flakey_ as heck. So bad, I had to reset the printer twice now. Ethernet is an improvement but it has also become unresponsive on occasion. A reset fixes it.

2. As I was troubleshooting the network issue they had with the 2270DW, I brought it to my apartment. Connected to a wall outlet and powered it up. A UPS on a different wall outlet started making a strange noise. Turned off the printer, noise from UPS vanishes. Very strange. An HP laserjet plugged into the same wall outlet never caused a problem like that. (I swapped the HP for the Brother) The laser printer was _not_ plugged into the UPS. It was plugged into a different wall outlet in the same room.

This is just my experiences. But, when the printer works, the output is great! Same goes for duplexing.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2013 12:35PM by Robert M.
My takeaway from this thread...
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 19, 2013 12:36PM
Sela Ward makes just about any show one of my favorites...

Absolutely!

I even watched Once and Again because of her. And she's still great in CSI: New York.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

Pixels were born to be punished. -Frederick Van Johnson

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: February 19, 2013 12:45PM
Just order it...been looking at that one for awhile. Now have to talk the SO into using this one as the main printer.
Date: February 19, 2013 02:38PM
Lizabeth
Just order it...been looking at that one for awhile. Now have to talk the SO into using this one as the main printer.

Change the DEFAULT printer on the computer to the new one
Date: February 19, 2013 02:45PM
Robert M
Space,

At that price, if you can deal with a Brother, it's a worthwihile purchase. But, my parents have this particular model and it has a couple of caveats:

1. Wifi is _flakey_ as heck. So bad, I had to reset the printer twice now. Ethernet is an improvement but it has also become unresponsive on occasion. A reset fixes it.

2. As I was troubleshooting the network issue they had with the 2270DW, I brought it to my apartment. Connected to a wall outlet and powered it up. A UPS on a different wall outlet started making a strange noise. Turned off the printer, noise from UPS vanishes. Very strange. An HP laserjet plugged into the same wall outlet never caused a problem like that. (I swapped the HP for the Brother) The laser printer was _not_ plugged into the UPS. It was plugged into a different wall outlet in the same room.

This is just my experiences. But, when the printer works, the output is great! Same goes for duplexing.

Robert

Interesting, quite opposite experience here. As mentioned, I have a HL-2280DW which looks a lot like this mode but with a scanner on top. Uses same toner and drum so I guess it has the same printing engine. So here are the comments about the HL-2280DW

-The old Brother MFC-7820N caused the lights to dim when it started printing, the new one does not do this. Seems to draw less power when warming up. However, is it noisier, but also faster.

-The old one didn't have WiFi, but I used a Buffalo router with DD-WRT as an access point and wired it to the printer. Ocassionally the printer did not respond, so I had to shut down and restart the printer. Yes, I confirmed multiple times that the Buffalo router was not the issure, it was the printer. The new one always responds. Never caused any issue since Thanksgiving when I got it.

Bonus is that it uses less power (2.7 W versus 6W) and also I do not need the router (that was also sucking about 5 W I guess).
Posted by: Janit
Date: February 19, 2013 04:41PM
space-time
Janit

try to log in into the web interface of the printer and change settings there.

I am not sure about this model, but I had trouble entering my WPA2 password in my HL-2280DW when I got it (31 character password). The LCD was good for 16 characters after which it was very difficult to see what I was doing. Hooked it up to the router via Ethernet, set it up, logged in to the Web Interface of the Printer and voila, you can do all sort of things, like run reports, change settings, etc. I pasted the long password in there, disconnected the ethernet cable and moved the printer where I wanted and I never had any issue ever since.

BTW: you need to figure out the Admin password, mine was written down in the manual (I think it was "admin" or "brother" or something like that)

Actually, I had no problems with the set-up (IP number etc). The problem was that I could never get the printer to connect to the router via wireless after the set-up. IP was good, wireless setting was active, just no talk with the router via wireless. So I made the wireless inactive and used the printer via ethernet with the same IP.
Posted by: GGD
Date: February 19, 2013 04:53PM
My 10+ Year old HL-1870N is about to hit 200,000 pages so I was considering replacements, and came across a Brother Model that I had never noticed before. The HL-6180DW, it was at $260-$290 when I first spotted it, but dropped down to around $190 the past couple of days.

[www.amazon.com]

It's 42 pages per minute, duplex, the paper tray holds 500 pages, it's gigabit ethernet and WiFi, supports Airprint. And there's a very high capacity 12,000 page toner cartridge available for it TN-780, and the drum is rated at 30,000 pages. So the cost per page using Brother toner/drums is actually a little cheaper than the only printer. Power consumption when idle/sleeping should also be a lot lower.

The only negative that I saw is that for manually fed envelopes you can only stack three at a time in the manual input feeder, that's stated in the user manual, I really need to try it out to understand this limitation.

So, I ordered one from Amazon this morning for $191.50 (they've since sold out, but third parties have it in stock), it will be here Thursday with Prime shipping. I'll wait until the current printer finishes it's current toner/drum and hits 200,000 pages.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: February 19, 2013 05:47PM
Brother fanboy here...

Brother HL-5170DN on ethernet, just keeps going & going.
Brother MFC-J825DW (Inkjet AIO) on WiFi, EZ setup, very satisfied.
Brother QL-570 Label Printer on USB2, sturdy workhorse!

If you have problems with WiFi, check the printer via its webpage as noted above. A 'network settings' reset may be required.
imho, Brother's manuals are well written and easy to follow.

N39° 39.7234', W075° 33.9788'
No son, a time a town or even a country is really lost is when the people who live in it get careless and stop paying attention to how it's being run... - Lucas McCain
Date: February 19, 2013 09:11PM
Robert M
Space,

Robert

Dude, you need some new wiring... :-)

Actually, if history can be a teacher, laser printers ought to be on their own circuit whenever possible.
Our bigger Brother MFC unit dims the incandescent [halogen] lights on the same circuit, but no UPS's or computers on that circuit, just the laser, an inkjet, a couple of phones, the printers' networking equipment, three CFL lamps, and the halogen strip in the cubby over the Brother. FWIW, the LW IIg that was replaced by the Brother, was a worse power hog. I figured out the laser isolation thing back w/ Apple's original LaserWriter, and figured that it's not worth tempting fate ever since. There have been several corporate and personal clients over the years that have needed to make accommodations for laser printers, and lessons have been learned.

NIce printer for the price.

///
Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 20, 2013 09:44AM
Buzz,

I wish! - lol! Believe if I could've done that, I would've done it. 'course, I'd also love to put the laser printer on its own circuit but that isn't feasible either. Fortunately, our primary printer at home is an Officejet Pro 8500 and we only connect and power up the laserjet on an as necessary basis. smiling smiley

Robert
Date: February 20, 2013 10:28AM
Robert M
Buzz,

I wish! - lol! Believe if I could've done that, I would've done it. 'course, I'd also love to put the laser printer on its own circuit but that isn't feasible either. Fortunately, our primary printer at home is an Officejet Pro 8500 and we only connect and power up the laserjet on an as necessary basis. smiling smiley

Robert

I've put laser printers in less than ideal locations, run heavy duty extension cords, and had new circuits wired in at clients' premises to keep the juice flowing properly by isolating the laser printers. Had a large corporate client (in older building) that got a new, large, HP laser for their main printer... one of the bosses decided he wanted the old LW630 as his personal printer (after it was fixed up), and as soon as he tried to print, all the already overloaded UPS's in the room tripped, and all hell broke loose. Six new circuits later, and ample size UPS's for each desk's workstation, things started to work more smoothly in that room. Some places just aren't made to accommodate a lot of electric powered tech.

///
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login