Nikon issues service advisory on D600's dust issue
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 22, 2013 05:26PM
[www.dpreview.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Nikon issues service advisory on D600's dust issue
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: February 22, 2013 06:10PM
Nikon has released a service advisory for its D600 digital SLR. Based on user complaints, it addresses the widely-reported issue of dust and dirt accumulation on the camera's sensor. In the advisory, Nikon has belatedly acknowledged that at the point where dust becomes visible in images, 'removal may be difficult using normal measures' and advises customers who have exhausted conventional cleaning options to 'consult your nearest Nikon service center', whose technicians will 'examine the camera thoroughly, and service it as needed.'

Although the statement is short on detail - noticeably it offers no explanation of why the D600 specifically is affected in this way, it's good to see that Nikon has finally acknowledged that some D600 owners have indeed seen real problems with dust accumulation on their sensors, which are outside of the normal scope of expectations when using modern DSLRs.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: wowzer
Date: February 22, 2013 07:05PM
While I can see the dust in my D600 if I use small apertures (f22 or smaller), I rarely need so much DOF. However, it is good to know that I can simply take my camera to Melville (which is about 15 minutes from my home) to get it serviced.

Edit: I just took a shot at f32 against the white background of the LCD monitor. I counted 2 total dots. No biggie so far after 1000+ shutter actuations.

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2013 07:14PM by wowzer.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: February 23, 2013 05:05AM
Highly inexcusable for Nikon to charge $2,000 and have this issue. They better pay for the shipping to clean the sensor. Nikon knew they had this issue for a while, they just didn't admit to it until after the Holiday shopping season.

Although this may or may not show up on your images is less relevant than the issue of these dust particles getting lodged into other expensive to fix components such as the AF sensor.

Bad Nikon, bad.

Posted by: DP
Date: February 23, 2013 07:40AM
pRICE cUBE
Highly inexcusable for Nikon to charge $2,000 and have this issue. They better pay for the shipping to clean the sensor. Nikon knew they had this issue for a while, they just didn't admit to it until after the Holiday shopping season.

Although this may or may not show up on your images is less relevant than the issue of these dust particles getting lodged into other expensive to fix components such as the AF sensor.

Bad Nikon, bad.

Also, point your camera down when changing lenses and have your other lens ready to minimize the time the camera interior is exposed to the elements. I have seen people yakking away while in the middle of changing lenses and leave the interior exposed for minutes at a time. Try to block the wind too although I know that sometimes that can be near impossible.
After three years I have finally noticed one spot on my sensor.
Date: February 23, 2013 09:15AM
DP
pRICE cUBE

Bad Nikon, bad.

Also, point your camera down when changing lenses and have your other lens ready to minimize the time the camera interior is exposed to the elements. I have seen people yakking away while in the middle of changing lenses and leave the interior exposed for minutes at a time. Try to block the wind too although I know that sometimes that can be near impossible.
After three years I have finally noticed one spot on my sensor.

To add to more Nikon irritation, be careful with your pin motor. If you don't hold the lens release button on the body while you slide the lens off and on, the pin motor lube can get on the mount. From the mount, it can get into the chamber where the AF sensor, mirror and sensor are located.

Canon does not have the pin motor on the EOS system so it is not necessary.

The Nikon pin motor system is the first AF motor Nikon came up with. The AF motor resides in the camera body and pushes the pin to drive the AF. It was a slow system and loud. Nikon has not come out with a new pin motor lens design in quite a while, I think they finally admitted that it was a bad legacy idea. Everything brand new in the past few years had been motor in lens, the way Canon did it when they started the EOS system to much criticism. Nikon's lower end cams do not have pin motor such as the D5200, D3200 and the cameras they replaced.

Saying all that, both systems have their irritations. I shoot both systems to overcome the weaknesses.

Posted by: eustacetilley
Date: February 23, 2013 11:34AM
I love these kinds of discussions! They certainly fit into the "Tips" side of this site.

I have no dog in this race; I shoot neither Nikon or Canon. The dust issue seems to me to be much like the Bad Pixel issue of a decade ago. We learned how to live with bad pixels, and went on.

Dust is inevitable, even in Clean Rooms. Technology will learn how to deal with dust, eventually...

pRICE cUBE, ( Did I get that right? Didn't he once use a different moniker?), is spot on about the Nikon camera issues. But I do wish to point out that this is not solely a Nikon issue. It is, to me, an industry issue.

Pentax, (Hurrah- Pentax!), seems to be addressing the problem. But I feel that it is proper to point out that they are probably using the same contracted engineers that Nikon and Canon use.

BTW, I really liked the old pRICE cUBE, (Did I get that right?), posts. I wish that I could see what he shot of Formula 1 events, when cars came hurtling over hummocks, airborne, at 180 miles an hour.

F8, 1/2000, ISO 100.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: February 23, 2013 12:31PM
Just shoot film, and you get a brand new clean sensor for every shot. :-)
Date: February 25, 2013 11:29AM
eustacetilley
I love these kinds of discussions! They certainly fit into the "Tips" side of this site.

I have no dog in this race; I shoot neither Nikon or Canon. The dust issue seems to me to be much like the Bad Pixel issue of a decade ago. We learned how to live with bad pixels, and went on.

Dust is inevitable, even in Clean Rooms. Technology will learn how to deal with dust, eventually...

pRICE cUBE, ( Did I get that right? Didn't he once use a different moniker?), is spot on about the Nikon camera issues. But I do wish to point out that this is not solely a Nikon issue. It is, to me, an industry issue.

Pentax, (Hurrah- Pentax!), seems to be addressing the problem. But I feel that it is proper to point out that they are probably using the same contracted engineers that Nikon and Canon use.

BTW, I really liked the old pRICE cUBE, (Did I get that right?), posts. I wish that I could see what he shot of Formula 1 events, when cars came hurtling over hummocks, airborne, at 180 miles an hour.

F8, 1/2000, ISO 100.

I used to go by pRON aHOLIC.

Yeah, dust will always be an issue. It just drives me batty when it is a manufacturing defect on such high priced equipment.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login