Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $102.50 ( +0.25 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
New entertainment center furniture
Posted by: Buck
Date: February 25, 2013 12:42PM
I know several people who use and/or bought and old dresser, credenza or cabinet for this. The new stuff on the market seems really overpriced. I'm on the hunt again for something under $100. I don't mind repainting or staining.

Many old TV cabinets are in the thrift stores and other second hand places. I've repurposed 2 nice armoires with a clothes bar.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: New entertainment center furniture
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 25, 2013 12:47PM
Buck-
Interesting idea. And a great way to get actual Wood, rather than that plastic covered crap.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 25, 2013 01:04PM
Buck,

Great idea in theory. Not necessarily in practice. Whether or not it's a workable solution depends on where you plan to place the TV and/or how many components you use with it.

For example, my wife and I have a 32" LCD TV in our bedroom. The TV is on top of a chest of drawers across the room from the bed. A roku box is tucked behind the TV on the chest of drawers. There isn't any room for a FIOS box or any other larger components on the chest of drawers. We placed the FIOS box on a different chest of drawers on a different wall. This setup works because we have multiple flat surfaces for the TV and components. It wouldn't be workable in our living room.

In our living room, we have a regular solid wood TV stand purchased form Target for less than $150.00. TV goes on stand, components on shelves within the stand. Done. Components include FIOS box, PS3 and receiver.

One thing I should point out is that I am not a fan of placing TVs _in_ a credenza or chest or even an entertainment center. Placing one into the unit reduces ventilation. I assembled the stand in our living room and intentionally did not install the back. This ensured the components have ample ventilation.

Robert
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: February 25, 2013 01:32PM
Ikea has some decent looking stuff.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: February 25, 2013 01:36PM
Estate sales . . . take your pick.

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 25, 2013 01:39PM
FWIW... most areas have at least one or more 'antique malls'. Read Flea Market writ large. Lots of folk who go to estate sales sell their wares at these places. Lots of deals to be had. I almost picked up a Mac + at one, but he had an inflated idea of its worth.
Posted by: Pam
Date: February 25, 2013 01:42PM
I bought mine online from Costco
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: February 25, 2013 01:55PM
For the living room, I have a very nice 6ft blonde wood coffee table that I elevated with 9in risers used for increasing the height of beds. Lots of room for all the components, players, boxes etc. Plenty of storage underneath. The subwoofer, center speaker and UPS fit underneath/in front.

Also lots of room in back of HDTV for storage as well.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: February 25, 2013 02:25PM
I am using a coffee table my dad crafted from poplar for the reciever, ps3 etc. the tv is hanging.

Posted by: colonel panic
Date: February 25, 2013 02:40PM
There is something to be said for cabinets that are made for AV components. I have a Standout Design cabinet. It has holes for cables, optional cooling fans, vented shelves, room for center speaker, ect. They also have a lot of options for finishes and sizes.

"They don't call me Colonel because I'm some dumb a$$ army guy" Colonel Homer J. Simpson
Posted by: rgG
Date: February 25, 2013 02:42PM
Check out the Goodwill or other thrift/second hand stores in your area for interesting finds. There are a lot of pieces of furniture that can be repurposed as a TV stand, especially since large TVs now don't weigh 300 lbs like the old CRTs.

Alpharetta, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: February 25, 2013 02:44PM
colonel panic
There is something to be said for cabinets that are made for AV components. I have a Standout Design cabinet. It has holes for cables, optional cooling fans, vented shelves, room for center speaker, ect. They also have a lot of options for finishes and sizes.

Those are the OPPOSITE of thrift store finds.

Posted by: August West
Date: February 25, 2013 04:42PM

Got one several years ago. Ikea, I think 89 or 99, solid wood. Fine for the basement surround sound set-up.

Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 25, 2013 07:18PM
$99

[www.ikea.com]

VTPKL it!
Posted by: Fritz
Date: February 26, 2013 06:32AM
the standout design stuff is nice. alas nothing for our small space.

!#$@@$#!

aged 20 year old tabasco
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login